Monday 16 March 2015

Devil May Cry (anime)


Dante is a half human, half demon, always broke, gentle, kind, manly, demon hunter who loves strawberry sundaes and pizza without olives.  Check out his description by the waitress on roller blades at his favourite cafe. ^_^

The always broke part where the jobs he takes on always don't pay or don't pay enough, sounds like Getbackers.

I watched it for Toshiyuki Morikawa as Dante. Very sexy voice. *smiling* as always (except for when he was younger at 23 in Devil Hunter Yoko. Didn't sound like him at all. Very light voice without his characteristic bass. Either he got that bass as he got older or he didn't put it on.).

I also watched for Akio Ohtsuka who voices Morrison (I love his deep sexy voice that I first encountered in Utena.  Now that I've come to know Jouji Nakata's voice, I think the bass of Akio Ohtsuka's voice sounds like Jouji Nakata except Nakata has a strange breathless end to his words.).

And I also watched it for Jouji Nakata.

I didn't notice until I watched Episode 11, there's also Katsuyuki Konishi. ^_^  Distinctive voice. I first noticed him in Kyo Kara Maoh (subsequently, he did Diabolik Lovers as Reiji).

Based on a video game, I didn't expect it to be good. But Devil May Cry is surprisingly good. Episode turner. Rare that an anime is good enough that I click on next and next until it's finished at 12 episodes.

Year of it is 2007.  So the drawing is not so CGI quality like now, but the stories are very interesting & unexpected.  Dante is handsome at certain angles.

The background, characters' names, looks, fashion & cars are old style America (1940s?) with fictitious names of towns and areas. I like Patty Rowell & her dresses.  Her name has that air of old-style America like Kajika Burnsworth in Hanasakeru Seishonen anime.

Episode 7 is the best.  Very nice. Unexpected & similar to Hakkenden episode with the little boy (that was more touching) & Garo episode with the parents loving their son so much (& Zero had to intervene).

Second best episode would be the one about the devil who fell in love with a human woman in his 1 month stay here. I like that he asked Dante about his own parents (demon father and human mother). I like Dante's answer. Very practical & funny. The passion is gone but he thinks they still love each other from the bottom of their hearts. Sounds like an old married couple.

Would be nice if they showed how his father looked like. In Episode 10 (with my other fav seiyuu Jouji Nakata as Baaru), I thought I was going to get to see his father or parents, but nothing happened.

Sexy intro of Dante:

 

 
 

No comments: