Monday 5 November 2012

Going to Korea to Stalk Lee Min Ho (If He's There): Learning Korean from Faith


Ahh... I still love Japanese language. After watching Faith for so many weeks, suddenly feels good to hear Japanese again.  Was just clicking around Min Ho's stuff on YouTube, when came upon Hakuouki clip. No idea what it's about, but their voices make me feel at home again.

Korean language... is just hard on the ears.

I haven't been interested in Korean movies/dramas until recently.

For dramas, I started with... "You're Beautiful" and found it very nice, even though the main guy isn't attractive/manly.   (Previously, I had watched Princess Hours but it didn't arouse any special feelings).

Then discovered Lee Min Ho's City Hunter. Then went to Personal Taste. Then to Faith.

For movies, I borrowed 2 DVDs in the past. "Who R U?" and the one with the creature monster thing. Both surprisingly good.

Except for Lee Min Ho, I find that Koreans are not attractive (compared to the Japanese/Taiwanese).  And I've the impression that their dramas are long-winded and boring (before watching "You're Beautiful").

So far, recently, those few dramas that I couldn't complete watching even the 1st episode, I would say it's pretty much confirmed that Korean dramas are boring. If Faith dragged on for longer, it would be in that category (even with Min Ho's face).

So, I haven't been making any effort at all in remembering or learning Korean words. Not even when watching City Hunter.

This time, Faith... because I enjoyed it so much at the start, I began translating it into English from the Chinese subbed broadcast.

In the process, I found to my surprise that Korean is actually even closer to the Chinese language than Japanese is to Chinese.

Many Korean words sound like their Chinese counterparts, with the same meaning. So, it became naturally easy that some words would be remembered.

In the same way as picking up Japanese words while watching anime (through the English subs and Chinese equivalent sounds), I picked up some Korean words for the first time from Faith (through Chinese subs and Chinese equivalent sounds).

To be used when I go to Korea to look for Lee Min Ho ^_^ If I want to, I can find out where he lives and stalk him. -.-

I used to have this idea that when I go to Japan, I would be so lucky as to bump into my favorite Seiyuu/s (anime voice-actors) in a Japanese 7-11, although I doubt I would be able to recognize him/them even if we did bump. (Miki Shinichiro comes to mind, with his straw-colored dyed hair).

Similarly... would I be so lucky to bump into Lee Min Ho at a convenience store in Korea? *dreamy look* Would I even recognize him? *imagines him in baseball cap*  How can I not when he's so tall?

What would I say? Would do I do?! *panics* I don't want his autograph. I.... uh... *he turns from the cashier and coming towards me....* ARghhhh!!! Nooo... Oh, my god.

Hmm....

The words I learnt from Faith to be used in Korea: 

Kidari = Wait
Hello = ... (I didn't quite get that, it's too long and too fast)... something-seiyo?
Yogi = Here (Yogi bear, how can I forget? It's the first thing I learnt)
Kogi = There
Kamsamida = Thank You
Toumang = Flee/escape (can't think of a use for this unless I'm in a bad situation).
Kiri liko opso =Impossible
Choon Choon =  In a hurry
Ba le = Hurry
Shikan = Time (in Japanese it's Jikan)
Tangshin = You  (Dou is the impolite form, I think) 
Imja = Lady (Hahaha... I don't think we'll be needing this. It's either too ancient to be used, or for old couples to use. Either way, I'll get laughed at. Fine, if I want to crack a joke with it.)
Shiro (yo) = Don't want to.
Na/ Nan = I  (It seems Choi Young uses "Nan" and Eun Soo uses "Na". Not sure if Koreans separate the genders like Japanese "Bokuwa" and "Watashi")
Irokei = Like this
Opso = Don't have.
Hokshi = Perhaps (can be useful when asking for directions or hotel location. Example: Perhaps, it's here? Hokshi Yogi?)
Kun Dei = But
Chol Tei = Absolutely (Ok, learnt this one from City Hunter when Min Ho says he absolutely would not touch Kim Nana while staying with her in her apartment)
Hagima = Don't
Chang Ga Man = Wait a moment  (Equivalent to Japanese "Chotto Matte")
Shun = Hand
Ker = That
Ker Ta Ume = And after that
Lap Chi = Kidnap (I don't think we'll be needing this either, hopefully.)
Sarang = Love (of course, I already knew that from... City Hunter's OST?)
Chrome = Then
Kiligu = In other words/meaning
Oto Kei = How? 
Boyo = What? 
Whey = Why 
Ah Ka = Just now 
Pou Wa = protection
Yakso = promise
Kyung cha = police 

Ching Gu = friend 
Keronika = that's why
Tang Jang = immediately

I'll add on if/when I think of more. Of course, I can't just go to Korea with these words. Need more. Well, I'll learn more.




No comments: