Wednesday 24 February 2016

Carousell Alert: Nigerian (?) Buyer Tries to Scam Seller (Me)


Thursday 12:30a.m.

So boring the scam. Don't try to scam me with your African scam, Ok?

A scam must be smooth like the Osaka Bags fraudster, such that it's natural & smooth & nobody must suspect a thing. A scam that raises doubts right at the beginning is a failure.

Stupid Nigerian African. Don't even know how to scam.

Sian. No business for my items. The only 2 messages I get are from this boring scammer.

It's also not the first time I received such a message. Previously when I listed items on Gumtree, a weirdo also messaged with the same MO.  At that time, I didn't think it was a scam, but it was just too gibberish to bother with (it didn't make sense).

This time on Carousell, is the first time I receive such a message. User id: vipper21.  It's quite common that some buyers have no feedback score because they just joined to buy something, so no score is not a problem.

But look at the message:


1) All deals are done on Carousell. But this person wants to move it outside.
2) "seldom sign in here"?  Is a very poor excuse for not doing the transaction on Carousell. After all, he is here on Carousell asking about the items. So why seldom sign in here? Doesn't make sense.

When the target "victim" starts questioning like that, the scam fails. The Nigerian scammer is a failure. 

Giving him the beginning benefit of the doubt, I moved to my e-mail & explained details & meet up assuming he is in Singapore. However, he replied as Fred Jackson (fredjackson2004@gmail.com), which is strange.

His e-mail:

Hello i am Mr Fred Jackson from United State Of America,how are you
today and how are your families ? hope all is good ? well i am
interested in buying the item for my daughter in THAILAND, because it
my child that need it  and i hope she would like it , so kindly get to
me with the total cost of the item including the shipping cost to her
address below with post office, i pay through either Paypal or Bank
transfer ok reply soon.


First Name-Morin
Last Name-Jackson
Address: 397 Moo 5 Prachasamosorn Road,
Zip Code-40000
State-Muang
City-Khon Kaen
Country-Thailand

Thanks and have a blessed day

1)  Look at the creepy start. It's like a cold mail, first time. Not a continuation from Carousell. And what's with the "Fred Jackson"?

2) A real US person won't spell out the entire US of A.  That's just soo... boring. And missed out an "s" for "States". Which US person misses out the "s"? I had to look at the sender's name again. Fred Jackson is an American name but he sure does not sound American.

3) Why is the daughter in Thailand, an asian country instead of in the USA?

4)  "because it my child that need it"? The poor English & phrasing don't sound like USA.

5) Getting the total cost for shipping to another country is very troublesome.  I used to do it & it's really troublesome.  In the end, the item becomes so super expensive, it's ridiculous, even if I am not the one paying for it. Plus, having to pack it for shipping overseas. Time-consuming.  Not worth the time or money paid to me.

6)  Problem with payment options with overseas people. Plus, Paypal problem. That's why I stopped sending anything overseas.  From the scammer's options, it leaves only bank transfer since my Paypal is closed.

Bank transfer. Now this is a problem because Telegraphic transfer is Very Expensive for the person paying. There's the actual amount, plus 2 sides of bank fees.

7) No full stop. And I don't like the "ok reply soon".  Rude.

I checked the address & didn't find it on Google map or results. Then I googled "Fred Jackson USA scam". Found it right in the first result.  419 scam. Second result '"Scam Alert Singapore" mentions cases with the same MO.

Ahh! I'm having a headache from lack of sleep & bad eyesight.  Goodnight.

I wanted to check the scammer's location (whether he's in Singapore) by clicking on his Carousell profile but his account has been deleted.  Guess someone reported him.

Then again, if he is using a random mobile number, then his profile will just state whatever he chooses to enter.

(Update: Thurs 3 March). Here's another one. I posted a few items on Gumtree SG & this guy contacted me through Gumtree for all the items with similar & identical messages.

As one of the earlier messages seemed normal, I gave it the benefit of the doubt & replied to the e-mail address. (Only later, I received identical messages to my other items & knew it was that same MO again.).

Here is the reply 2 days later:  

Tim Anthony <tmmxxx008000@gmail.com>


I replied to the Gumtree message because I tested it first. Gumtree messages always send with "signed by Gumtree.co.za", which is South African.  I ignored all the messages based on this.

Yesterday, I tested it.

Even when I sent message to myself on Gumtree, it is still "signed by Gumtree.co.za". So, I gave this Tim Anthony the benefit of the doubt & replied to his e-mail address.

However, note that the scammer's initial contact is always the same.  On Carousell & now on Gumtree.  It's always:  he don't log in to the account, don't check here... just to direct you to go to e-mail (out of the Carousell or Gumtree system).

(Update 30 Mar Wed):  I received another 2 different "styles" recently for my Gumtree SG listings.  One of them I deleted. Another one is here (scammer sent identical message to 2 items, not knowing that the 2 items are listed by me):

The thing is, I included my e-mail in my listings, so there is no reason for a buyer to ask for my e-mail to "discuss".

What this scammer is doing is simply clicking on any item & just sending this message without even looking at the content of the listing. That's why scammer doesn't know that these items are listed by the same seller. Scammer doesn't care because he/she is crazy.

Frankly, getting messages from this stupid scammer is boring. I feel like scolding him. I am waiting for real sales & real money. But this clown keeps spamming with lousy bait like this.

What "Oh! i guess you still post it for sale"?  A real buyer will straightaway ask to get the item & even give me his mobile number.

In fact, a buyer recently was upset about communication using this "e-mail". He wanted to use the phone. I thought he was either a scammer or an iphone addict. In the end, he left. Good riddance. I am not so desperate to sell to a psycho who sounded aggressive when I didn't give him my number.

Update: Mon 25 July 2016:  Here's another on Carousell. The same thing. Getting people out of Carousell to go to e-mail. It's very silly.  Nobody ever asks for e-mail anymore. It's too outdated. Why the heck will people want to go out of Carousell chat to go to e-mail?  And why can't the person ask whatever he wants on the chat just as he is doing so now?

I just delete the message. Makes no sense. His new ID:  bara__bara




37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, your post was very helpful as I just got the exact same email from this Fred Jackson email too. He has a new carousell account "balojj".

zinepin said...


Oh, I see. I guessed he would set up a new a/c.
Glad you appreciate the post. :)

Anonymous said...

Omg hahaha I got this retarded scammer yesterday too XD What is that idiot trying to do anyways?

zinepin said...


Yeah, ridiculous.

The idea is supposed to get people to transfer more money than the product price into scammer's account. But this way inconveniences people a lot. Right at the start, the target has to make special effort to e-mail. And more effort later on. Like jumping hoops. So troublesome the scam.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post! I just got the same email. Was excited at first and didn't read the email properly (yes, I took it over to gmail not thinking). Then when I went back to check and re-read the email, it sounded fishy that someone called Fred Jackson has such poor English, as well as a daughter in Thailand. So I did some searches and found your post! Now I'm 100% certain it's a scam (but very disappointed to not get any other inquiries).
Thanks for your post!

zinepin said...


Glad you appreciate the post. :)

Anonymous said...

From carousel
This person sending email from fredjackson20004@gmail.com
He was trying to scam but he dont know how to scam lol

Anonymous said...

Today I received similar scam email too! The scammer is using the similar tactics by gaving fake address.
The email was "kklewis@yandex.com" claimed his name Kevin Lewis from US and like to buy the item for his daughter again in Thailand.
I had the doubt when received this buyer request and after I google the address given, I can't find so it is highly suspicious a scam. My next google is some news about scammers try to cheat you by falsing the paypal payment.
Though I am not sure how the trick works, but definitely I won't want to try as victim. So just either ignore or tell them only doing local market.

Anonymous said...

just got enquiry on two of my items, and told me to email kklewis@yandex.com too! luckily i found it so weird and told him i will only deal via carousell! thanks so much for the heads up (:

michelle said...

just got enquiry on two of my items, and told me to email kklewis@yandex.com too! luckily i found it so weird and told him i will only deal via carousell! thanks so much for the heads up (:

Anonymous said...

Beware Kevin Lewis (email address kklexis@yandex.com is a fake name scammer. The trick is he will try to pay you through fake PayPal or bank transfer with fake emails like customerconsultantdept@usa.com with fake receipt etc. You will not find the funds in your account then they will ask you to transfer a fund to activate the stuck international transfer. Or they ask you to send the goods then the bank will release the funds to your account which will never happen.
So be careful selling online and take note of the fake banks or paypal email address from scammers.
Make a police report even if you did not fell for the scam, hope with more info the Interpol can catch these scam syndicate

Unknown said...

the (kklewis@yandex.com) try to con. sending fake paypal email.
this is 3rd people try to con me. all are asking to ship malaysia.
Another of his email is bbbnne90@gmail.com
beware friends. if there is a payment, check you paypal account
directly . don't trust any email.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your encounter!

I received a similar email from kklewis@yandex.com this morning as I just listed an item on my carousell. Immediately after reading the email, i checked the carousell user to find out that it has been suspended!

Anonymous said...

I've gotten something similar too. Email address now (12 Sep 2016) is ppyenfr@gmail.com and the account name is payenfress
I got the exact same email. Guy in USA who can't even spell his own supposed country's name properly, wants to buy it for his daughter who is in Thailand. The minute I saw the "United State of America" and "my Child in Thailand" and the atrocious grammar, I knew it was a scam. Copied and pasted the address on Google out of curiosity and this blog was the first result that popped up.

but I'm going to have some fun first...I spent a bit of effort trolling him first...but of course I will still lodge a report haha

Alicia said...

I suspected sia but stupidly just give the paypal email by replying back to him, nothing will happen right? So i just ignore? I block his email on hotmail after realizing i shldnt had send it.

Anonymous said...

Got the same scam, thought it was legit though. Until I tried to find the address. Thanks for the post and heads up!

Anonymous said...

This person also tried to scam me . What should i do . ><

Unknown said...

Got the same email from Kevin lewis. Think its wise to just ignore.
Thanks for the heads up!

There are just too many scams around.... we need a more authentic B2C market!

Unknown said...

Hi guys! I received the similar email from him and I already shipping out my items. How am i supposed to do? I really need your help!

Anonymous said...

Just go and make a police report on the case. For the items is gone can never trace back. At least you don't lose tons of money just items only. I had gone through this in a painful way. Don't transfer any money!

Unknown said...

From carousell user..
The scammer (carousell ID: larrymendez05) express interest to buy & request to reply to his email vvatatdaji@gmail.com & he replied with kklewis@yandex.com. Then using same trick to ask seller to send 'present' to his children oversea. Hopeless childish trick to fool 3 years old..

Anonymous said...

From carousell user..
The scammer (carousell ID: larrymendez05) express interest to buy & request to reply to his email vvatatdaji@gmail.com & he replied with kklewis@yandex.com. Then using same trick to ask seller to send 'present' to his children oversea. Hopeless childish trick to fool 3 years old..

Teresita said...

Same email and same account trying to scam me just last night...its good i got into this..
thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you folks for your postings! You save me from this scam. The guy, Kevin Lewis from US, kklewis@yandex.com, wants to send used books from me to his daughter in China and he doesn't mind paying a hefty amount of shipping fee and he seems to be in a hurry to end this transaction, then I became suspicious.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your article. 3rd Apr 2017 and this guy/group of scammers are still using the tactic. This "Tim Anthony" guy contacted me on Shopee.sg requesting to communicate through e-mail at tmxxm08000@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this blog! I almost got trick yesterday too by this Kevin Lewis (kklewis@yandex.com). Lucky i found it suspicious and do a random check only to find this.keep it coming!

Unknown said...

Haha, I got one today. Mine said he is living in the US and his daughter (Mide) was in China and she would really like my 34 inch ACER monitor....hmm, really?

Wanted me to post a 34 inch monitor to Shanghi, are you crazy? that would cost more than the products worth!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Glad I found this page. Posted an item for sale on Gumtree.sg and got Mr kklewis@yandex sms on my phone from no +65-80000008. I typed the reply and was almost about to hit the send button when out of blues I thought to google the email id and voila....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've gotten the same email from kklewis@yandex.com and sms on my phone from +65-80000008 to mail my item to Beijing for his daughter Mide Lewis. Not too sure whether he got my contact from gumtree or carousel.

Anonymous said...

Same here, wants to have a car seat as soon as possible shipped to Beijing, shipping would be more than half the product price. Uses again kklewis@yandex.com .

Anonymous said...

Same here.... I received the same offer from kklewis@yandex.com. He previously said that the laptop was for his daughter in China and subsequently changed it to his son in Dublin. He did not hesitate to get the fastest shipping method and I guess it's probably because it costs the most and so he will be able to get a hefty sum for this. SCAM!!!!!

tangy said...

I received the same request from this kklewis@yandex.com to send my 3 lamps I advertised on gumtree. When I questioned him why he would want to buy my lamps at $20 and pay $100+ shipping charges to send them to his daughter in China even though the electricals are different and he can get lamps cheap in China, he said he has his reason. He was persistent that I quote him total cost including shipping and asked for my bank account for transfer of payment. Something tells me this is insane, so I googled and thanks for this website, I emailed him last night telling him I have sold the items.

david said...

Hi guys.I need a help.I just read all this comment and realised that i kena SCAM ard because last few day i just shipping my item out and paid 2 times activate fees which is up to SGD 2000.So right now what should i do.Can i get back the item and my money???urgent!!

david said...

Hi guys.I need a help.I just read all this comment and realised that i kena SCAM ard because last few day i just shipping my item out and paid 2 times activate fees which is up to SGD 2000.So right now what should i do.Can i get back the item and my money???urgent!!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for posting this..two days back even I got a message from KKlewis@yandex.com for EZ tone oscillator which I had advertised on carousel as well as on gum tree..and he was willing to pay 250SGD for shipping to his child in China! I realised that something was wrong and I immediately googled his China address and found this page! I am just worried that now that he knows my email address and phone number, he can hack my computer and phone! I have junked his mail and blocked him but am very worried. How do I report this scam to Police?

minz said...

Hi everyone! I also just received a message in carousell and from the same Kelvin, KKlewis@yandex.com. Please beware! If anyone is reporting police, contact me. Now he corrected United States of America to US. Maybe he is stalking this blogger post.


> Hello i am Mr Kelvin Lewis from US,how are you today and how are your families ? hope all is good ? well i am interested in buying the item for my Child in China presently, so kindly get to me with the total cost of the item including the shipping cost to her address below with post office, i will make payment through either PayPal or Bank transfer...Kindly get back to me soon
>
> First Name-Morin
> Last Name-Lewis
> Address:No 10 Dong Zhi Men Nei Street,Dongcheng District
> State-Beijing
> Zip-Code-100007
> Country-China.
>
> Thanks and have a blessed day

hop3_keir4 said...

I received this message from Kelvin Lewis (kklewis@yandex.com) as well on Gumtree

Hello i am Mr Kelvin Lewis from US,how are you today and how are your families ? hope all is good ? well i am interested in buying the item for my Child in China presently, so kindly get to me with the total cost of the item including the shipping cost to her address below with post office, i will make payment through either PayPal or Bank transfer...Kindly get back to me soon

First Name-Morin
Last Name-Lewis
Address:No 10 Dong Zhi Men Nei Street,Dongcheng District
State-Beijing
Zip-Code-100007
Country-China.

Thanks and have a blessed day