Monday 29 January 2018

Humpback Restaurant @ Bukit Pasoh (Oysters Cocktails)


Mon 29 Jan

Passion cannot pay the bills, ok? No matter how "passionate" you are about working at a restaurant, "passion" cannot pay the bills. Cannot pay the high living costs in Singapore.

I was interviewed by a plump Ang Mo woman named Betsan (manager). Was disappointed to see it was an Ang Mo. Probably just as she was disappointed to see that I am not Ang Mo.

Singapore has too many foreigners.  I don't get along well with Ang Mos because their mentality is impractical & they are typically crazy in Singapore.

She said she was expecting an Indian applicant but was surprised to see that I wasn't. I was 30mins early. That should tell her that I am really serious about the job. But that early virtue seemed to just fly past her.

When she pronounced "Indian", I had the distinct impression that she was racist, somehow. Maybe not.  Anyway, I dismissed it.

Her handshake was meaty & enclosed my hand.

Typical of "western" approach, she didn't ask about my age.  Her questions were geared towards testing for "what you would do in this situation" kind of scenarios. Testing experience that I answered to the best of my experience. Answers to which she appeared to agree with.  Not a good test since anyone can still bullshit through with some intelligence. Quite boring, but I just put up with it.  [Wanton Noodle SG did this scenario testing also.]. 

I have learnt in job interviews that it's better to shut up rather than talk.

She kept mentioning "passion" about working in this place, must be "passionate" about making customers come back. "We don't push sales" etc... etc...

I was thinking if your food & location is so good, there shouldn't even be any need to talk about wanting customers to come back. They will come back naturally.

It means your restaurant is not that great.

At one point, she said among the staff, she's considered "auntie".  I just noted it with an "Oh". I was actually thinking that she looked quite young.

She said the oldest staff is 27 years old. "Is that a problem for you?", she asked.

I thought it was odd she said that.

I said, "It's more whether they will be ok with me because I'm not 27.". She looked displeased, so I said, "Anyway, age is just a number." with some frustration while wondering why she's brought up the issue of age.

Immediately, her face eased up & she blurted, "That's what I wanted to hear.".

Odd. Why bring up age if it doesn't matter?  She don't know my age & the female boss who approved my resume for interview don't know my age either.

Throughout her interview, her iphone kept scrolling up with new SMS messages that she would reply to.

After her long talk about the establishment, she asked, "Questions?".

I asked, "Uniform?". She explained that they didn't have any, except that it's casual wear with some rules.

She asked if I was aware of the hourly pay rate. I said yes, from the ad.

Then I asked, "When's your pay day?".  She answered but I detected a slight negative reaction in her reply.

Earlier, I had asked when are the 3 nights that are needed (their minimum) so that I can set aside for her. She couldn't confirm. I said I can start the next day all the way till Sunday if I'm hired today. She said she has other applicants & she "imagines" the boss will let me know by Friday (2 days later).  She said she "don't know" when I can start work.

Just before the interview ended, I confirmed again that they would let me know by "Friday".

The interview ended & she extended her hand. But this time, her handshake was very cold & immobile & only the tip of her hand before she lifted away.

Bad sign.  Still, she vaguely said, "hope to see you..." I didn't hear the rest because she was bending down over somewhere as I was turning to leave.

Of course, Friday came & went & nothing happened.

Throughout the interview, she didn't take any notes, didn't have any application form. Just kept shifting her attention to her iphone. So, how would she be remembering the applicants? Presumably if she found the "right" applicant, she would hire on the spot.

Why wasn't I hired? Because I asked when is their pay day when she had been emphasizing "passion" & "passionate about the job"? 

So I can't even ask when is their pay day? I can't even appear eager to get the job?

Despite her preference for "age is just a number", she started out by telling me that she's considered an "auntie" among her staff & asking me whether it is ok that her oldest staff is 27 years old.

If age don't matter, why bring it up?

And all the "passion" in the world isn't going to put food on the table.  With bills piling up to pay, I need to know when is pay day, unlike some rich Ang Mo woman who only needs to work with "passion" in a restaurant.

Pay me, I work to the best of my ability. Don't talk age.  Don't talk passion.  Everybody works for money.

If you want to live in la-la passion world in your brain, go back to wherever you came from. Don't la-la in Singapore where money is required to pay the bills & food.

If you don't pay your staff, see whether they will continue working for you with "passion".

At least I don't pretend to say I don't know & disrespect the applicant by pushing it to the boss who will be doing the "informing". This tactic is to absolve the interviewer of responsibility.

I'm not angry. Everyone has to pay for their actions & thoughts. Most people are also not themselves & are under the influence of "other things".

Considering the behaviour of all the F&B interviewers I've come across since looking for work,  I recommend that people stop eating at these establishments.

These are very irresponsible, very inconsiderate, very cold people, very dishonest. A lot of fakery. They say 1 thing but do another thing. You dare to eat their food?