Friday 25 April 2014

フランフラン 閉じる Franc Franc: I am sad to see U go. 寂しい Lonely

Update 3:43pm 26 Apr Sat:  Taking back all positive comments regarding Franc Franc.

I was  just now changing my bed sheet & when I pat the mattress, white powder flies from it. Bro had previously told me that it's the memory foam or mattress top disintegrating into powder. Meaning their stock was old to begin with.

It has only been 1 year and 9 months ago. Although I didn't expect it to last long (since it's an unknown brand), I didn't expect it to disintegrate like this. Bro said their furniture is overpriced. I think it's better they close for selling such crap.

The bed is indeed very good & cooling, but it is turning into powder on top. 

-------------------

I love their last sentence in their closing announcement at their store entrance:  There shall come a time where we will meet again.

It sounds a lot like a Japanese promise.  "Surely" きっと kitto they will return. Sounds a lot less lonely.  Not a goodbye. Comforting.  I like it very much. Tanoshimini 楽しみに (looking forward to it), although bro & I think that once a company leaves, it's unlikely to return. Many companies left in the past never came back.

The sentence also reminds me of Jack Sparrow... "There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.".

So far, no establishment has ever said it in this way. It's a very personal message. Not just customer and business. But a message from a friend.  T.T  Very touching in  a way.  "a time where we will meet again".

I also like the ending:

The management of Franc Franc,
casually and stylishly signing off.

Cool & "Betsuni". Like its no big deal. No disgrace.

In a plastic stand at the store entrance, the notice with red background says:

Dear Valued Customers,

Our Management regrets to inform you that we will be ceasing to operate in Singapore by May 2014.

Further reduction starts from 7th March through 31st May 2014 with JCube closing in April and VivoCity in May.

We would like to thank all customers for the generous
support given to us the past 2 years.

There shall come a time where we will meet again.

The Management of Francfranc,
casually and stylishly signing off.

(Final call additional 30% discount).

I bought my best ever bed from Franc Franc @ Vivocity. I blogged about it here. Has it been 2 years already? Lemme check my receipt... can't find it.  No, lemme check my date of post here... 07/07/2012.

Yeah, 2 years. Wow. My bed has a slight creak now, by the way, but it's still cooling & comfortable.

When Franc Franc first took over from Page One @ Vivo, I already knew it would not last long.

1) Too big floor area = very high rent
2) The things they are selling are luxury/ornament type of items. Furniture expensive. Although I really like their comfy sofas, it's just too expensive (& no space to put them).

Since their opening, the cashier has no queue, nobody seems to be buying anything. Bad sign.

Many months ago, even before their closure announcement, it was obvious they were not doing well.  Empty spaces meaning no stocking up and sloppy arrangement of the beds.  Previously (the time when I bought my bed), the 3 display beds were given pride of place but many months back, they were moved to a corner with things piled on top of them.

Jacqueline who patiently served me regarding the beds, had earlier on already left. I never saw her again after I purchased my bed.

This closure is no surprise, but still very sad. I hate seeing stores close down.  Yaohan, Daimaru, Carrefour, Page One...

Although the articles and the management don't say why Franc Franc is closing down, it's pretty obvious it's the high rent.

It's an embarrassment that Mapletree drove out our own homegrown bookstore Page One that now can only be found outside of Singapore.  What a disgrace. Is Mapletree owned by Singaporeans or foreigners?

According to that article, Habitat will be returning to Singapore.  Habitat.... Wow, I haven't heard that name since... ages. It's sounds so vague now.  I  remember mom used to go there. And I think we still have a piece of furniture bought from there?

While typing, I tell bro that Habitat is coming back.  Bro replies from his room, "Habitat last time open at Marina Square. At that time don't have Youtube. Marina Square... near the entrance. Near where Muji is.".  (bro is everything Youtube now ever since he discovered it & gets his education from there.).

"Are you sure????" I ask.  My bro's memory is amazing. If he says so, then it must be so. I totally don't remember.  And he is younger than me, so I should be remembering more since I was older at that time, but my memory is really crap.

"Are you sure it's Marina Square???" I ask.

"Of course." he says. "because I go there to look at their bulbs. Gui ah.". (Gui = expensive). "At that time, their bulbs were strange, their brand. Not Osram. I was very young, primary 5 or 6.".

*Shocked* "Then did we buy anything from Habitat?". I ask.

"Like bo leh..." he says.

Well, I am glad to hear a familiar name Habitat once again. Looking forward to seeing you again. They say it will be at the new Big Box @ Jurong East.

"Habitat closed due to poor sales, you know.". I say.

"Same lah. Franc Franc also bo lang go in." says bro. "I see Franc Franc I remember Habitat. Very vague idea lah, but I think it's Habitat.". 

(actually by my calculation... bro wasn't primary 5/6 at that time...his memory also not perfect.)


No comments: