Monday 5 May 2014

The Tempest Japanese Drama 「テンペスト」

Tues 6 May 2:25am

I can't stand stupid women. What's the matter with her? Watching her, I very pek chek.  Just finished Episode 8. Aiyo shit. How can she have sex with that stupid king who is so much younger than her? Crap. What the heck. And she's supposed to be a genius?? *rolls up eyes* Can't believe it.

Who is the scriptwriter? *checks Wiki*  Oomori Sumio 大森寿美男. A man.  The same guy who did Nezumi-Kozo (starring Takizawa Hideaki).  Nezumi was quite nice, how come this Tempest has such lousy main character?  So unstable, the way she swings from brilliant to stupid.  (How come IMDb says he wrote only 1st episode when the Japanese official site states him as the scriptwriter?)

When she's a man (eunuch), she's brilliant. When she dresses as a woman, she becomes stupid. What is this? Transformation arts? Like those anime where the kid hero becomes cool & brilliant when wearing glasses & becomes silly when take off glasses??


I can't say Tempest is lousy, because it's not quite. There are 2 strong male characters there, with a quite good-looking Satsuma samurai Asakura. And the romance part is quite captivating. This untouchable romance thing because she's a man. I was waiting for more but episode 7 & 8, she's just disappointing as a woman. Totally.

I actually watched this drama to see Gackt. Hahahaha... silly funny man.  He died also with a funny expression. Jyo Teigai. What a name. Supposed to work for Shin (China in that era).

At first, the first 2 episodes were quite boring. I was giving it a chance & continued with the 3rd episode. It started getting better from there with the Asakura guy & I was waiting to see Gackt who later appears in episode... 5 (I think).

I heard of Tempest while checking out what people said about Gackt & in a forum, there was some mention of his role as Jo Teigai with his long tongue that he uses to pleasure women even though he is an eunuch. And some people said they were totally grossed out. So I was curious what tongue... CGI? I was having the impression that it was some kinda long snake-like tongue.

Turns out, his tongue looks real, just longer and with a point compared to other people's tongue. He probably practised in the mirror to make it look that way. I didn't know Gackt has a tongue like that? I don't think it was CGI-ed.

The pleasuring part... wasn't really there. Didn't see anything except Opium in a room with pretend-sleepy women.  His fans recorded scenes of his inane laughter on Youtube and I watched it, but in the actual drama, it wasn't anything that special.  His role was surprising very short. Around 2 episodes before he is killed.

The title says BS時代劇  「テンペスト」.  I keep thinking BS for bullshit every time I see it before an episode starts.  Bullshit period drama The Tempest. 

In episode 9, she's going to be pregnant. Ah, crap. This king is so... what an ass. Punk. Deepens his voice just to sound older. Goddamn punk.  A true wise leader would have reinstated her as the great Son Neion, rather than insult her by making her a woman. What a fool.  Both of them.

I don't know how true this Son Neion story is in real life history. I first heard of the Ryuukuu islands (present day Okinawa) in a recent news about China & Japan fighting over it.  I then read up on Ryuukuu's history from a library book (some time back & I have forgotten much of it because there wasn't anything significant.). 

China & Japan are still fighting over Ryuukuu even after so long. Because Ryuukuu was used as an administrative office for China at that time, their buildings & clothing reflect that.  Okinawa actually has its own dialect from since that time (which I was surprised & amazed to know when I read about it since I assumed it's Japan).

Last night, I was thinking it's a pity they allowed the Americans to set up naval base there. Some time back, that bad incident happened--US men raping an 8 yr old girl.  The Okinawans were naturally angry but I think nothing happened to get rid of the US presence there even though the Okinawans have been against it for a while.

There was a man from Okinawa who used to cook at the Jap food counter bar outside the cashier counters of Meidi-ya supermarket. He told bro & me that he was from there when he got to know us better (we ate there quite regularly).  He once gave us desserts in the form of cut red bean/green bean jelly diamond-shaped on a plate. Very nice man.

Around the last time we met him, he gave us a packet of red bean rice topping. Said to put it into the rice cooker.  The red beans is a celebratory ingredient. Said he was giving it to us in celebration of our Singapore's National day. ^_^  What a nice man.

He also gave me a tip on how to make the rice fragrant. He could speak just a little English while I could speak just a little Japanese. So, it was fun.

I do miss him. That last time... or maybe it was the last last time... he told us his wife and kids were around & nodded in their direction while bro & I were eating at his counter. We never did catch a look at his wife or kids.

Hmm.. I wonder if all Okinawans are like him. I will keep in mind they have a dialect different from Japanese if I go there one day. I keep thinking if I might see him there. If I do, I will disturb him about that Jap food counter that he left behind. Bet he doesn't remember me.

Sad that just before he left, there was an unfriendly Japanese man cooking in his place. He said it was his boss.

Well, we didn't like his boss's cooking anyway.  After the Okinawan man left, his boss left & the counter changed hands to some foreigner Filipino or such. Very lazy. Food must have been bad since very few people ate there. And 1 Japanese woman was so angry one day, she went back to complain loudly.  Something about some missing dishes she ordered but wasn't packed with her order (I can't quite recall).


No comments: