Tuesday 7 June 2016

Plan B Salon @ Far East Plaza Don't Need More Customers, Don't Need More Money Review


Tues 7 Jun

So I went to another salon instead. Not only did Plan B salon lose $50, it lost a potential, future customer.

Plan B was actually Plan A this morning. But became Plan Zero when I went there.

Their opening time is 11a.m.. But when I phoned at 11.05, nobody answered.  Bad sign. It means whoever is supposed to open shop hasn't yet arrived. Unprofessional. When a professional establishment says it will open at a certain time, it has to open on time.

I imagined the person pottering around inside & hung on for a bit longer, but still nobody answered.

I didn't have time to call again. The salon don't have a website & don't have online booking.

Every time I read great reviews about a salon, it's always lousy when I get there. That's why never trust positive reviews 100%.

Since I didn't have time to call again, I decided to walk-in & see how it will go. Also, a test.

My intention was to ask Zen to cut my hair.  A woman in a negative review said her haircut was $50.

At about 3.10p.m., I stood outside of the salon. As expected, it's a strangely small place,  unlike the online photos which somehow manage to depict a panoramic & (falsely) luxurious view of the place. Also as expected, no receptionist.  Small-time player in the salon business.

According to the online data, there are supposed to be 3 or 4 stylists. But only 1 was there. A fair-faced man handling 3 women customers in a horizontal row.  A weekday (Tues) afternoon & no stylist to attend to me?

Where are the rest of the stylists? On extended holiday since yesterday (Mon) is their "closed" day?

I guess because no customers wanted the more expensive director's cut,  they weren't called for.  But shouldn't they help out at the salon even if no customers made appointment with them?

It's crazy. 1 stylist & 3 persons who don't mind waiting while their stylist is split 3 ways.  Looks like a small heartland "salon".

I didn't know if I was talking to Zen because the fair-faced man didn't look like the online pic.  It could be another stylist called Darrius whose photo wasn't shown in the online data.

With 3 women already occupying the stylist, my chance was therefore zero.

I walked in & as he was in the middle of handling the first woman's hair, I began with, "Sorry... 1 person handling 3?".

He looked up & politely replied, "Yes. Sorry.".

I walked out & walked back in to give him a 2nd chance. "How much for a haircut?".

He turned from his work & politely replied, "For ladies, $50.".

I said, "Ok.".

He said, "Thanks." & returned his attention to the woman.

Clearly, he didn't need an extra customer. And didn't need the money.  His hands were already full with 3 women & more than $150 sitting in a row in front of him.  I was in the way.

Polite & courteous, but he made no effort to retain me as a customer.

I waited for him to ask me to make an appointment for another time, or leave my number for him to call back. Or something to keep me as a customer.

But he made no effort. 

So I left.

Always very irritating when the salon that I spent time checking up online, fails. The expectation to get a haircut from Plan B salon was there, but now where am I going to get a haircut?

I went upstairs, then back downstairs, quite displeased with zero salon to go to.

Then I left & went back to the salon at Taka that I've been thinking about for some time recently. I got my haircut, got a nice, long shampoo massage. Happy.




3 comments:

Beauty Undercover said...

Hi Zinepin,
Thanks for your review! Would it be alright if we put up this review on Beauty Undercover here: http://www.beautyundercover.sg/hair/plan-vast-hair-east-plaza/

We need objective reviews like yours to help customers make a more informed decision!

Thanks so much!

Warm regards
Beauty Undercover

zinepin said...


Hi, sure. I have also been reading ur hair salon reviews.

Beauty Undercover said...

Thanks! Sorry to hear that you haven't found your ideal hairstylist!
If you are still looking, consider trying Nicky from Zinc Korean Hair Salon (i've got a number of friends who loved his Korean-style cut) or Ken from Kenaris (my husband's favourite but hes v pricey).

Hope one of them works out for you! :)