Tuesday 13 December 2016

Flying Budget? Jetstar Scoot


In my gmail, I came across a spam that mentioned Singaporeans flying to Hokkaido on Scoot. Googled for full information & got a blog that did some calculations & illustrations of Scoot website.

4hr 20mins to fly there with 1hr+ stopover at Taipei. Then another 4hr to Sapporo. *shudders*

I really can't sit so long in a budget carrier plane. It's too small, too cramped. And I'm not even tall.

Some years ago, I took Jetstar plane to Taipei (from Singapore). The trip was 3 hrs+. 

I'm petite & even so, the seat was very uncomfortable in the small space. If there is an accident, it's going to be worse than Hell.

I sat at a window seat in a three-seats row on the right side of the plane. The seat beside me was empty. The seat after that was occupied by a long-legged Asian guy who was very quiet & very patient with my 3 times going out to the bathroom. The 3rd time, he was dozing when I had to "disturb" him with my exit to go to the toilet again.

During the flight, he shifted uncomfortably in his seat & sighed. I guessed maybe someone had booked the flight for him & he is now experiencing the misery of it. For me, leg-room is not a problem. But the seat is uncomfortable.

No drinks, no meals is 1 thing. But no space along the aisles between the seats. That's very dangerous.

The width of the aisle was only enough to fit the food trolley. Once the trolley was there & it took ages to move down the rows, there was no way anyone can get up to go to the toilets.

Imagine if there was an accident or an emergency. There isn't going to be any space at all. It'll be jammed.

People always think about the cost savings, the meals, the drinks, the leg-room, luggage. Nobody ever thinks about the danger of the tight space in budget carriers.

They assume the plane will fly according to schedule from point A to point B. But with budget carriers, what corners did they cut to offer the low prices?

Less maintenance? Less of what else?

After flying Jetstar once, I don't think I can make myself fly on a budget airline again.  3 hrs or 4 hrs too unbearable. Furthermore, not once but twice (return trip).

At that time, Jetstar boarding was surprisingly orderly & fast. A steward was smarter than 2 or 3 stewardesses. A man insisted on putting his bags of stuff overhead but the stewardesses said there was no space. He made a lot noise, said he couldn't possible have it under the seat since it's so cramped.

A tall, handsome steward came by & all he did was push the other items aside in the overhead storage & viola! Space for the man's stuff.  *shakes head* How can the stewardesses be so stupid?



No comments: