Wednesday 28 December 2016

Contest Photos: Singpost's Rumpled Contractor Delivery Mail Men & Women

29 Dec Thurs

Shall we have a contest of the best photos of Singpost's Most Rumpled Contractor-Mailman (or mail woman)?

Have you noticed what your mailman looks like these days? In the past, mailmen in proper, ironed Singpost uniform came on scooters bearing the Singpost logo. They came on time in the afternoons.

Some time ago, the mailman around my area became a rumpled, unwashed fellow with uncombed hair and sandals. Comes at night. Wears an open, crinkled grey, dirty-looking shirt that passes off as a uniform. Pushes the mail in a groceries trolley to the mailbox. Previously, he even sorted out the mail at a nearby sitting area with a woman.

Who is he? Where did he come from? Looks like a China man labourer with dark, crinkled complexion.

Once he sent up a registered package to me.  He almost walked off, but remembered. Opened his old, crumpled transparent plastic bag (with junk inside) & rummaged for a crumpled piece of paper for me to sign.

Another time, I asked him about a Speedpost package, he just rudely shook his head, eager to turn away & walk off, "I don't know! Don't know!".

(I asked because I was desperate to know what happened to my Speedpost package that I haven't been able to receive for days.).

Some days ago, I saw him holding another plastic bag out of "uniform", walking towards a set of mailboxes. He opened it with a master key, shoved the bag of shoes & stuff into an unused slot & closed it.  Then he walked away, hawked loudly & spat onto the ground.

I don't want such a man delivering my mail. But he has been doing it for at least 1-2 years already. 

Yesterday, I saw a mailman in a Singpost truck come out along the side of a road to collect the mail from a postbox. He had uncombed white hair. Rumpled, dirty grey shirt, loose pants & sandals. Dragged his empty mailbag along the ground as he shuffled slowly towards the postbox as if he was having a hangover.

I think we need a photo contest.  Someone offer prize money? Take photos of these rumpled, dirty-looking postmen. This is what Singpost has become. The face of Singpost.
 
Is it because of too many foreigners in Singapore = increase in number of mail & parcels = Singpost & Speedpost deteriorated to complete crap?

Singpost & Speedpost are different. But many people have the idea that they are the same & speak of them as one.

Speedpost was created to earn more money. Anything exceeding the purposely very limited dimensions of Singpost will become Speedpost.  Whether sending local or overseas, almost all parcels will be under Speedpost. Singpost handles mainly letters (flat & small items).

Speedpost is EMS (Korea/Japan/Taiwan).  All incoming overseas items will be delivered by Speedpost unless you opt for regular airmail (Singpost) or other couriers (such as DHL).

Speedpost is as good as the only delivery system in Singapore for incoming overseas parcels. Without it, you can't buy anything from overseas online stores. And that's not an exaggeration because many parcels come through Speedpost once they get into Singapore.

For small outgoing mail & parcels,  you can still use Singpost & if you don't mind the longer time getting to the other side.

With your cameras & phones, take photos of your neighbourhood postmen or postwomen. See who has the best. Most rumpled, crinkled & dirty Singpost delivery men & women!

Then, we should also give out prizes! Like the opposite of the Oscars. Claps!

My US package already arrived in Singapore but even after X'mas & Boxing Day, still not in my mail box. Where is it? I don't know.

Did the weird China-looking dirty mailman take it? I don't know.  I don't think so.

Is it still in Singpost's processing center? I don't know.

Is it going to be missing like so many other people's items? I don't know.

I knew it was going to come through to Singpost when I ordered the item online. But it is not expensive. I didn't want to go through Ezbuy because I didn't want the purchaser to know what I'm buying.

I stopped buying things directly online ever since the last experience with Speedpost (see previous post).

The status just got updated @ about 3pm SG time. I've been checking & this morning, it remained unchanged until now. The stated time of 1:53am... most likely, it's US time zone system.

Processed through facility only now?? Look at it below. For days, status remained "departed" from Singapore. I assumed it was on its way from Singpost to me.

Boxing Day holiday over on 26 Dec. Today is 29 Dec. And it's only just "Processed through facility"???



Finally, Singpost has tracking information. So, this First Class international small package is a registered article? Didn't the Singpost customer service in reddit say First Class is treated as normal mail?

Singpost tracking finally out only today:


Update 10:24pm 30 Dec Fri: I don't know if it's registered article or not. I waited & the postman didn't appear at my door. At 6.30pm, I went to check the mailbox, don't have. At 7.10pm, the small packet was inside the mailbox.  Good that he left it in my mailbox.

How many days did Singpost sit on my package? Starting from 24 Dec...when it arrived in Singapore. 25 Dec X'mas. 26 Dec Boxing Day. Both public holidays. Ok. Start counting from 26 Dec...  4 days before I get it in my mailbox at night.

It means besides the shipping time from US to SG that took 6 days, I have to add another 7 days in Singapore before I receive it. Total 12 days. Slow.



No comments: