Saturday 22 September 2012

How to Stop Selfish People Burning Incense/Joss Paper in Bins (Singapore)


Sat 22 Sept 

Woke close to noon today and smelled smoke. The sort of smoke that comes from burning incense from the bins downstairs.

My windows were closed and I even shut the ventilation opening below my windows and still the smoke entered my bedroom.  I felt a lack of oxygen and came out to the living room. Although the balcony doors were shut, smoke was also in the living room and wafted into the kitchen.

(Later, I also found that my bath towels and dry laundry that hung up, stank of the smell).

That did it. Always, I have been tolerant, but this is too much.  So bad that the oxygen was being snuffed out, making me angry.

Brushed my teeth, washed my face, got out of the house to look downstairs.

Look at these inconsiderate and selfish people.  Two bins were smoking up.

The smoke wafted up to the corridor and the entire area, choking up the place.  One Indian woman at the opposite block came out of her flat and looked out holding her hand to her nose and mouth.

I called down to them: "Excuse me! You do this, my house is full of smoke!".

They looked up.

The woman in red T was wearing black-rimmed spectacles, looking either studying in Junior College or Polytechnic. Around 18~19 years old. She apologized "Sorry".

The man in dark shirt and the other woman in white just stared up at me, looking mean, hostile and very selfish.  The woman had small eyes. They did not say a word but went back to burning.

I have not seen them before, guess they live on the higher floors, so they are not affected by the smoke or ash. By their look, must be Chinese-ed.

Chinese-ed means Chinese-educated.  Versus English-educated people who are more intelligent, rational and gracious.  Chinese-ed an old term to refer to older generation folks who don't know English, are superstitious and basically not educated in many ways.

I called out again, "Can you please douse it with some water, otherwise the smoke will continue?".  I already knew they probably don't understand the word "douse" but I said it anyway.

After burning up the papers in their hands, the trio put their hands together to "pray" before Red T walked away, looking up and saying once more "Sorry". The man and woman remained, looking at  their smoking bin and ignoring me completely.

The ghost festival month is already over, what are they still burning for? During that month, I never once said anything. But this is over the limit.

Which "god" whom they are burning to, would help such mean, selfish and inconsiderate people?

Does the word "sorry" clear up the choking smoke in my house? Does "sorry" stop them from burning the rest of the paper in their hands?  No. 

So, what am I supposed to do with your "sorry", woman? Why don't you shove it up your ass? Of what use is education to you? Might as well not study and stay home. Where is the intelligence from that education? 

For many years, I have put up with these people burning incense paper. Not just them, but many others. Sometimes, they do it past midnight and it would wake me up to find my bedroom filled with choking smoke. If my windows were not already closed, ash would have come in.

Sometimes when the balcony doors are not closed, ash would fly in. And that ash is very difficult to clean up because they break apart when touched, and they smear on the floor when wet. 

I will need to make a complaint to the town council about this. A few years back, I had complained before and they had moved the bins elsewhere as I told them to. But these days, the town council has "forgotten" this and the bins are back, close to residents' homes.

Because it's a weekend, I was unable to call the town council to move the bins. Neither can I call the police since it is not against the law and it's something that is "allowed" with the bins being provided by the town council.

So, what can we do as the choking smoke continued even after these people have conveniently walked away?

After doing these measures below, the air cleared up and was breathable again. I think we did a service to the community by doing so.  Not just for our benefit, but for those living around as well.

For those with health/breathing problems, I think what we did is even more helpful.

Also, those incense papers are coated in some "gold" squares, which I think could perhaps be tested for toxic substances released into the air, along with the paper material. These items are made in China/Taiwan, perhaps Thailand, but the substances that go into making them are likely hazardous. That's why people report problems when they come into contact with the smoke.

First, we doused out the smoke with pails of tap water. I didn't have any standing water at the time. So, it took about 3 pails to dampen these 2 bins.  Note that despite these pails of water, the ash was only dampened with that sort of burning heat emanating from within.

I am aware that using sand might be more effective, but we have no sand.

After dampening, the bins continued smoldering but at least, smoked less than before. The air started clearing up almost immediately. The water took a while to seep through the bins and it was enough to flow out from the small holes in their sides.

However, this would not prevent further burning of paper later.

We went out for a short while, and when we returned, the 2nd bin on the left was smoking again. Someone must have burnt something again in there.

Since the 1st bin was already full of burnt incense paper, bro thought it wouldn't be used. So, we fixed the 2nd bin that was smoking.

Earlier, we had thought of covering the bins with something "heavy" but what? Or, we could put garbage into them. But I said even with garbage, incense paper can still be burnt inside. And garbage will likely burn worse, especially if plastic materials releasing toxic substances into the air.

There seemed only 2 things we could do: 1) Fill it with stuff so that nobody would be able to burn anymore inside.  OR  2) Topple the bin to the ground and pour water over the ash.

We went for option #2.  Bro kicked it twice and it fell. But be careful the metal rots through, so gently, otherwise the foot will go in.  After that,  I did the coup de grace by pouring water over the toppled mouth and into the hole at the side that rotted through, wetting the ash inside.

Bro said the bin was toppled facing the plants, so that nobody would be able to access the bin. If it were toppled to the side like I suggested,  the bin can still be used from the ground. Brilliant bro.

As of now, 5.03 p.m., the 2nd bin  (on the left) we toppled has been removed. The 1st bin is still smoking even after so many hours.  Our balcony doors still cannot be opened and the air outside the balcony is still bad.

I wait for night/past midnight when some asshole might start up the 1st bin again. Or... the person/sweeper who removed the 2nd bin might put in a new bin in its place. If that happens, we'll do the new bin.

In a temple some years back, I was surprised to see a temple caretaker pull out the joss sticks from the urn the moment the devotee stuck them in.  One after another, as the devotees put them in, the temple man would take them out to douse them in a pail (sand/water, can't recall). So, dousing these bins of ash with water is actually no disrespect but is a practicality that can and should be done.

It seems from the 1st photo, there is a 4th person who was there (at the below edge).  Photos saved under "Assholes".


Which JC or Polytechnic is Red T studying in? 
Don't tell me she's still in secondary school. And please don't tell me she's studying in university.
Our universities don't have such stupid people (actually they do, sad as it may be).
I didn't manage to take their faces when they looked up. 
However, I got the face of Red T in the video below.


Look at that. Having fun polluting other people's air! Wow! What a nice family activity on a nice Saturday afternoon. Let's do it together!   After that, they conveniently strolled home, leaving other peoples' homes in smoke.

Man (arms akimbo in deep caveman voice): I'm the man of the house.  Look at it burn, man.


Youtube is clearer than Dailymotion.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe living in Europe would save u of such discomfort LOL

zinepin said...

Japan would be nice.

zinepin said...

So far, I've received 1 standard issue response to this old topic.

"Old" because such topics have been circulating in local forums for a long time already. As usual, those who can think versus those who somehow... always repeat standard replies.

Standard = the type that is expected, bland, without independent/intelligent thought, might as well be quoted from a textbook, and did not read well what was posted.

I think quite many Singaporeans have already woken up, although I don't have figures.

But... there are still quite a number who haven't.

Woken up from what? Not just about this simple topic. Those who know, know. Those who don't, are those still asleep.

Anonymous said...

Hi, first and foremost what I would describe will be WOW! I'm glad that I found someone that truly does feel what I really feel.

I'm just too elated that at least I can prove to other people that all this while thinking that I'm crazy and never believe what I said to them. I am more than 100% support you to enforce this as justice to the others as well. I'm really proud and thankful for your great kindness deeds to the others that have the same predicament.

May I add something? I think nowadays not only people that lives lower level that became "their" victim but the upper level as well. The most shocking are that a lot of my selfish , arrogant and cunning neighbours burn their joss papers outside of their house and near the staircase spaces which is at the upper level not at the void deck or ground level. Worse come to worse it could even burn the entire walls and ceilings near it.

I felt like what you felt which is the "funny" part is I have to endure the crazily excessive smoke nearly everyday which is not only on hungry ghost day. I felt so angry cos i didn't get the freedom and peace even in my own house. The worst part would be that when they burn it at night or even in the wee hours where a lot of people are sleeping. Unknowingly & "unconsciously" we, the whole family inhaled the infected polluted air. Suddenly what I know was my mother who was not feeling well keep coughing persistently. I really pitied her. She always get sick whenever my evil neighbours start burning. Maybe burning the joss paper once in a while would be alright but just try to be considerate to the others as well. Don't do it too much, because when they do, they are actually starting to jeopardise others life including theirs too.

I apologise for writing it so long in your blog here and I do apologize in advance if I unintentionally offended anyone with my words and comments here.

Thank you for bringing this issue in your blog as I was at my wit ends about this things until unexpectedly I saw your post. I thought I was the only one that experiencing this issues.

I keep reminding people to stop the excessive burning and save the world. Last but not least, PEACE NO WAR to whoever will go against my comments here.

zinepin said...

Hi...

If it's night/daytime....and they burn at the staircases, and are doing it at that moment, call the police or your town council (office hours for town council).

If wee hours, call the main police headquarters nearest your area (not neighborhood police post that has already closed).

You can find a list of police numbers and locations online. Call the nearest main headquarters so that they won't take too long to get over.

These are "immediate" methods to stop them while they are doing it (if you know exactly where they are doing it) without direct confrontation.

Police/town council should be able to solve it.

If cannot, then secretly capture them on photo or video while they are doing it, if possible.

Then show the videos/photos to the representatives at the MP meeting of your area and see what they can do about it.

You can check online for the days, time and location of the MP meetings. Meet-the-People Session.

Alternatively, you can take photos/videos of the scene after they are done burning. Then show them to your MP representatives.

Points to put forth:

1) Not supposed to burn at staircases

2) Fire hazard

3) Health hazard to your family members and those living nearby.

Don't mention saving the planet.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm the Anonymous that told the stories above on 17 Oct 2012. First and foremost I am really really thank you for helping provide the solutions for the issues that I'm facing right now.

May I ask if you could give me another advice on whether should I report this to the Town Council or straight away to the MP?

Actually I have 2nd thought on reporting it cause I don't have the heart to break nor exploit the relationship between the multi races in Singapore here. I have chinese friends too and our relationships are currently good. They (my friends)are kind people and I don't want to ruin it. Unlike my inconsiderate neighbours I have consciousness of other people religions too.

I do understand that but this morning they start to burn the incense paper again just below my house level which is at level 11 at the open spaces of the staircase.I was getting ready to go out but suddenly the strong smell of burning and the sudden wasp of excessive smoke outside of my window and it instantly hurt my eyes and make me have itchy nose too. As the smoke was way too near which is just 1 level below my house.

At that moment I was so angry I decided to take videos which I remembered from your advices as evidence. My clothe just reek the strong smell of the burning incense paper and my face just felt really really hot when I record the video. My cloth just smell of it all the way even when I was in the public transport, a lot of people keep coughing and coughing and feels so hot even with aircon in the transport that I'm riding in. :( This just makes me soo angry and can't even really focus to do anything today. :(

I did asked one of my friend whether he's having any special prayer occasion these few days, he said no. There were no special occasion that need to burn anything. He's not a christian when I asked him what was his religion. My friend told me that maybe it's my neighbour's own days that need them to burn the incense paper. FYI, before I asked my friend on the question I did apologised to him first if I will offend him with my sensitive questions on religion. I do mind his feelings.

I really need your advices or help in this, so that I will make a wise decision that will not really hurt anyone, maybe. Another FYI, that my neighbour of mine are really one stubborn family who will go against and do anything cunningly and discreetly to revenge or hurt me and my family. They seems to be very good at it and they got supporters too. I did went down to the town council before, to report on a case but I'm worried that if I went there again will they see my family as someone that always complain and can't even be patient with the neighbours or befriend with them? Will I have any bad image or records of it?

I know that by now you know that I'm a person that scared of this and scared of that, how am I even to defend myself if I'm like this. Because of this character, a lot of my neighbours keep take advantage of my family weaknesses and bullying us. This bullying doesn't happen once, it happens many times. We just try to ignore every times it happens.

Thank you for taking your precious time reading this and I apologise from the bottom of my heart if I have offended and to have trouble you with this. :(

Thank You. :)

zinepin said...



You're welcome.

The town council is in-charge of maintaining the areas outside the HDBs and providing incense bins etc... So, it's better and faster to report to your town council first.

You can just call up and there'll be an operator there. If you say it's about burning incense paper problem, the operator will connect you to the person-in-charge.

They will ask for your unit and block numbers if you explain where this burning is at. Also, you can tell them how often it happens and when. Most importantly, these people are not supposed to burn at staircase landings/spaces.

It's quite time-consuming to attend the MP sessions, unless really necessary.

It has nothing to do with race/religion. This is about inconsideration/selfishness, health and fire hazard issues.

One day, maybe burning incense paper like this will be banned. Or at least burn in a proper designated building that can vacuum out the smoke etc...

Even if it's an "occasion" for burning, it still shouldn't be done at the staircases or near people's homes.

There's no need for the neighbors to know that you reported them. Just show no reaction when they burn, so they won't know you're unhappy.

Anonymous said...

understand it's now 2 years after this was first posted... but dont really know where else to 'vent', so... sorry if im using your 'space'... here's my/the story:

just called Town Council... again, the usual, like "we'll move it elsewhere"...
personally, this is not my practice (burning)
and i am VERY ABLE to understand, appreciate and respect another person's belief... i myself have my own beliefs too..
but...
but.. but but but...
my beliefs DOES NOT INCLUDE SMOKING another person's environment, for a WHOLE MONTH... not 20, 30 mins mind you, WHOLE MONTH...
EVERY SINGLE YEAR. i mean ..wtf..
i know ive just lost about 90% credibility by using foul words, but... i am seriously gravely injured by this gesture!! or... WAS THAT THE POINT!!!??? Paper burner's method of putting someone else 'behind'... while they cruise on ahead: use the month as excuse - burn, burn burn burn burn... competitors/other colleagues BO BIAN take MC, sick, ill, etc.. while the burners cruise ahead. of course not right. im just exaggerating... but hey, I SERIOUSLY dont know HOW CAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS POSSIBLY HAPPEN... HAPPEN, HAPPEN AND HAPPEN OVER AND OVER AGAIN. other comments (i read) contains things like "oh.. they do this in China and Taiwan too".
i mean..

HAVE YOU BEEN TO CHINA???? TAIWAN????
DO YOU KNOW HOW FRIGGIN BIG THAT PLACE IS. burning something does not AFFECT another person!
but not in SG.

HOW CAN I EVER, EVER, EVER BE THAT ARSON IS LEGAL IN THIS PLACE !!!!!!!!!???

Only because it is under the guise/word of 'culture', 'religion', beliefs... cmon. i also have culture, religion, belief. but my choices DO NOT INCLUDE HURTING ANOTHER PERSON.

it's 2014. i wonder when the country will wake up.

i really think it's time arson STOP being permitted, simply because someone call it a 'religion'.

i am not inhuman too. I HAVE DECEASED RELATIVES. but i pray my respects AT THE GRAVE. i burn LOTS OF well wishing for them, AT THEIR GRAVES. AT PLACES WHERE HOUSING ESTATES ARE ABOUT 20 MINUTE DRIVE.
SERIOUSLY WHICH IDIOT MADE THESE LAWS.

arson is arson!
NO WAY TO COAT IT!
ARSON MEANS ARSON!
last i checked SG is about 70% strong with people of such beliefs... but my point is not about 'winning' or 'who is the larger/greater power/louder voice' - i am speaking from vantage of Human Rights.
which person understanding Human Right will allow ANYONE to say:
"oh, up against religious observations/practices and human health.... the practices always win. it is always important to allow the practices. Human Health?? cmon. we have 7 billion people in the world. does not matter if a few hundreds of them are suffering in Singapore every August."

zinepin said...

I recently saw a couple initiating their girl. They gave her joss sticks & encouraged her to offer herself to the burning practice.

It's a very bad thing to do to the young generation. This passing on of what should be stopped.

Not just about the burning. But this servitude to a belief that the parents are making a young girl take up, possibly for the rest of her life.

These are very selfish & bad parents.

Anonymous said...

Juz throw water bombs or rotten eggs ��������

zinepin said...

That's a good idea. :) It's definitely do-able. Everyone has a right to clean air.

Anonymous said...

Time to bring back the days when they used to toss chamberpot contents out the window.

"Sorry! I thought that was the garbage!!"

zinepin said...

*chuckles*

Tomorrow is the last day of the massive burning month in Singapore. It's going to be tough again.

$24 million SGD worth, up in flames. It's even more than Any Toto jackpot prize money. Now I know why the govt allows it to continue.

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ghosts-mess-squeaky-clean-singapore-222841441.html

Quote:

The city-state imported more than 21 million Singapore dollars-worth ($16.8 million) of joss paper from January to June this year as well as nearly 3 million Singapore dollars-worth of religious scented powders and incense, according to data from International Enterprise Singapore, a government agency.

Anonymous said...

hi, what if it is a small red bin at stair way below.. those with the cover and they do it on the first and fifteenth of lunar calendar. can we report also?

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right about your rights. We should not be silent when these irresponsible people threaten to use religious freedom to attack those who complain.

True religion teaches us to be responsible and caring toward others. Fake ones just lure people to more money causing them to do silly and irresponsible things.

These offenders should be warned and if they persist, punished.

Anonymous said...

2015 Ching Ming on Sunday, 5 April. 15 Lunar Moon this Friday, 3 April, which is tomorrow. The burning is going to be heavy.

In the HDB estates, the majority is subsidising the minority who burns and, the Town Council burning urns are not cheap due to the quantities.

Burning should be banned in residential areas as it induces health related problems and quarrels which may lead to fights.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

Great that you are highlighting this. Its not a level playing field.From my personal experience , I wrote to the Enviroment minister himself to tell him how ridiculous it was for Singapore to have Indonesia stop the burning of forests ( i.e.. the haze) , when we ourselves do not help in improving the air quality here in Singapore ( i.e....burning of joss paper). His reply was that the burning of forests in Indonesia was "exponentially different" from the burning of offerings here in Singapore. Two wrongs don't make a right ? Right ?

First things first. Bring this up to the Enviroment Minister's attention by the masses. Have your relatives friends write in to NEA and the Minister himself to support the cause. The problem is that most of us who are suffering as a result of this inaction are too busy or think that it is fruitless. It appears that the authorities are practicing "Don't ask , don't tell" policy.

Anonymous said...

My dad and neighbour are one of the idiots who burn joss papers at the staircases. Everytime I confront my dad he would scold me upside down. He would say I don't respect his religious freedom and our ancestors. I end up with sore throat everytime he burns them right outside our flat. My mom told me to keep quiet and don't complain to the town council. I hate them both. They are selfish people.

zinepin said...


Must be very difficult for you to live with them.

The only way to stop them is for a law banning such burning. There is no way to educate them because they are stuck in their mentality.

What these burners are doing is burning real money. An industry worth millions of dollars to many players. Otherwise, it would have been banned. It's lucrative for it to continue.

Viral videos or campaigns can be done to enforce social pressure on such burners. But the authorities prefer to let it be. Not because they "respect" people's "religion".

Complaining to the town councils is useless.

The only good thing is that many of these burners are older generation people. It will stop when they are no longer here. The younger generation are more concerned about money, expenses, iphones & housing. Living in SG is getting harder. Wasteful burning of cash like this, is impractical & ridiculous.

You can save your sore throat by pouring water into the burning bin after he finishes. Let him scold. In the temples, they remove the joss sticks immediately after people stick them into the urns. There's no chance for the "prayers" to rise, yet nobody complains.

Anonymous said...

Guys please complain to your town council on facebook in black and white so that the authorities will wake up and ban this joss paper burning once and for all. It is now 2016 and things are still the same. The government can actually set new laws e.g. burning only at temples.

zinepin said...


Complain no use. And it's true they can set up laws, solutions & ban. But they don't want to.

In fact, one very simple solution: provide wooden covers/lids for the bins. When someone is done burning, it's mandatory that the person covers with the lid so that the smoke won't keep spreading. Or make it mandatory that these people bring a pail of water to extinguish their smoke after burning.

Imagine, you're the person who gains from import & sale of the joss papers etc.. Will you stop the practice? Plus these days, fewer people are burning. All the more, you must provide more bins to encourage burning. If anyone complains, just say it's religious & we must be understanding etc.. etc...