Wednesday 28 November 2012

Meidi-ya @ Liang Court Hokkaido Food Fair till 2 Dec

Update 29 Mar Sun 2015:  Meidi-ya sells expired food & Meidi-ya spoiled Chicken & Salmon & Bad service.

-----------

Been wanting to post this before the fair ends.  From 22 Nov ~ 2 Dec.

Every year, Meidi-ya supermarket has this lovely little fair selling Hokkaido's foodstuff that they don't sell at other times of the year.

So while it's here, grab stuff before it ends!

All kinds of Ramen, delicious jar puddings, green tea jam, cakes, frozen stuff, sweets/candy, potato chips, chocolates, on-the-spot cooked foodstuff, etc...

Of course, most of these stuff are expensive, but it's once a year. If you can, just try them out.

I don't know if the supermarket @ Isetan Shaw House has such a fair as well since I don't go there.

Previous years, Meidi-ya actually had a huge, long-legged Hokkaido crab for sale in the frozen section. Just 1. Cost $100+ or more. Can't recall the exact price. It was in a box with a plastic sheet over the front. And what horrible  people did was poke holes or press into the plastic until the package looked unpleasant.

The plastic sheet would look perfect at the start of the fair, but be more and more abused as the fair progressed.

I don't know if anyone bought the crab at that price, but since then, the supermarket hasn't brought in another one for their fair. Most likely, it didn't sell well and was treated more like an exhibit than something to buy and eat.  (Incidentally, people do actually buy the $79 watermelons that are available anytime, according to the cashier I spoke to).

Anyway, I think the meat would be very nice from those long,  plump legs (imagine sucking the white meat off from a nicely cooked one).  The crab itself looked quite scary, rather spiny and red.  Imagine it walking at the bottom of the cold ocean floor. Pretty amazing to see in documentaries when I used to watch.

I actually haven't eaten a crab in years, although I like the meat in a chilli crab dish.

The first time I saw the Hokkaido fair at Meidi-ya, I was so excited, I bought plenty.

Turned out, everything I bought was expensive, but not everything was nice.

Since then, I've been much more careful about what to pick. It helps that most of the stuff were in the previous fairs, so I won't pick them again.

What not to pick: Cakes and sweets/candy.

My camera is down, so I have to take videos instead (it can't take pics but can still video). The camera's been in and out of Casio office many times ever since I took it to Taiwan & Japan in 2009. Bro wants to get a new one, but I'm not keen.


This packet is only available during the Hokkaido fair. Consomme flavor (the flavor that Light/Kira in Deathnote likes).

It's better than the other yellow packet that you see at the fair.  The first time I tried it, I thought it was great. But not anymore (although I've purchased it again this time).

The taste is bland and it just doesn't give much bite. US/Canada and Taiwan chips are better.  Bro says that the Japs don't know how to make potato chips and chocolates (I would add, candies/sweets + desserts).





Green Tea (Matcha Flavor) Milk Jam. Nice. Sweet. Taste of green tea. Unfortunately, $15+ for such a small jar.

I actually didn't buy it the first time I saw it in this fair. Wanted it though. Finally bought it when I went there again.

It flows a little at first when it's opened. But it firms up when put in the fridge. Eat it like dessert. ^_^  (although I had initially thought to spread it on Ritz plain biscuits.). 

Tip: Grab the $9+ Caramel pudding in a jar (beside the green tea milk jam set up on a table after the vegetables section).  Absolutely delicious. There are other flavors as well on that table.




Maple Syrup chocolate bar in a green wrapper. I didn't know it was white chocolate until I opened it.  I already finished it 1~2 days ago. ^_^;

Very nice. Sweet. Taste of maple syrup. $3+. I want to go back and buy the dark chocolate wrapper (assuming it's dark chocolate).

Here, I was trying to show the inside of the bar with 1 hand. ^_^;; You can see it's already opened. I have already eaten it before filming... hehehe...

Find this on a shelf across the tofu section (or somewhere along that row).


The words "HOKKAIDO" are inscribed on each block. Very nice. Too bad video quality not clear.


Sidenote: I'm expecting bro to be back today. Wonder how was his trench digging. Didn't save any of that yummy chocolate for him. But we can go back to buy again... *licks lips* Not this same one, but the other one. Bro is not really nuts about this type of chocolate anyway.



No comments: