Friday 5 July 2013

Gataomo (Hair Salon Review Singapore)

Update: Thurs July 11:  I have just gone to QB to get my hair fixed.  It's been only 6 days since I went to Gataomo and I really dislike the green stubble at my neck and back cut. The top is also not satisfactory (it was left uncut at the salon to achieve an overall look which isn't cool or stylish). The front is also too short.

QB at least cleaned up the green stubble a little, so it's less obvious. The back part has more bounce now, although it could have been better if it hadn't been ruined at Gataomo. It just looks like a normal-looking average back cut now.

Just have to wait it out now. In another 2 months' time, will be able to visit another salon. No choice but to wait.

------------------

Day/Date: Fri 5 July
Time: 3pm
Stylist: May Chong. Randomly assigned to me.
Walk-in, less than 5 mins wait.
Dry cut  (short hair)

Length of stay: About an hour.


It is only now after just getting back that checking their facebook, I realize my haircut was done by the manager.   And I am surprised because she was tactless and rather displeased me.

Out of the whole team of guys, I got the manager. Normally, it might have been a good thing (to be attended to by the manager) since she charged only $32 (for first-timer and I didn't specify a stylist).

At the end, she said it would be $40 if I asked for her the next time.

There won't be a next time that I would ask for her.

From the photos provided in Beauty Undercover's link (in comments section of that post), I thought a few guys' haircut looked good. Hovering my mouse over the photos, the salon name came up: Gataomo @ Far East Plaza.

Before deciding on Gataomo however, I checked online as usual for reviews. Positive reviews are all in their Facebook. Negative reviews are few online.

It is from the replies to the negative reviews that I find that the salon or their representative who posts, is very protective and defensive of their stylists.  That in itself might be a problem if anything goes wrong with a customer's visit.  Something to keep in mind.

From the photos I saw at their facebook, I didn't like the ones by "May" (just glanced at the name but didn't commit it to memory).  I liked the styles by the assistant manager Jenzson but didn't ask for him when I was there.

While I didn't have great expectations (I don't have much expectations of any Far East Plaza's hair salons),  I hoped this might be a salon I would visit again.

Unfortunately... I most likely won't be returning (not after this review), even if I might want to try Edwin Lee (more likely) or Jenzson.

1) No proper receptionist. For a moment after entering and standing there, I thought I would remain a standing piece of furniture. But fortunately, a male stylist working on a customer beside the empty booth managed to speak to me, asking if I wanted a haircut. The other staff hardly acknowledged the entry of a customer.

2) The place is too small.  I discovered the seat that I was in, near the glass side, is actually useless because it doesn't allow the stylist to cut on the left side.  I only realized it when she asked me to move to the next seat (after a male customer just left). 

3)  Hairwasher was a man with body odor. The hairwashing was bland. So far, I keep saying only Reds @Takashimaya has the best and sexiest washes.

4) The stylist was tactless, as mentioned. So far, 2 salons have learnt to avoid pointing out things that the customer might not like: Kim Robinson and La Coco. 

I noticed that when I dropped by Kim Robinson and La Coco previously, the stylists asked if I wanted to dye my hair. I had assumed they wanted to earn extra cash from the extras such as dyeing. Also, dyeing would create depth and highlights for my black hair.

But on second thought, I realized later that they were probably being tactful about my strands of white (besides wanting to earn more money).

On those occasions when they asked if I wanted hair dye, I had said "no", and they had wisely left it at that.

From reviews I read, young ladies dislike stylists pointing out their hair flaws.

May Chong however, further negatively mentioned the customer's appearance another two or three times, which really puzzled me.

She should learn from Eric Lim of Kim Robinson. He has perfect tact. When I didn't know what to say about their hairwash when he asked how it was, he helpfully provided, "Can be better?".  It saved the conversation and spared me from having to say how bad it was.

5) When I came home and bro saw the back, he exclaimed, "Ai yo. So short.".

Before the stylist started, I had made it known that I didn't want it too short. I said I wanted a different style but not too short, and give it some volume.

The result is that the back of the neck now has green stubble that she told me she couldn't remove cleanly because they don't have shaving blades.

The back end is almost a straight cut.

Her idea was to shave up beneath and cover over with the back hair.  (Makes me wonder what Eric Lim/Kim Robinson would have said).  It was to prevent a duck's tail from forming.

Although the idea of shaving up and then covering over didn't sound good, I thought to give it a try since the actual thing might turn out to be nicer than described.

Furthermore, when I mentioned it was too short after it was done, she "moved" the "blame" to me by saying it depended on what I was looking for, how bold I was willing to go.

It's just typical outdated defence from a Malaysian "stylist".   How many stylists actually blame/convince their customers like this these days?

"Cool-looking" was the word I had also used when describing to her what I wanted.  I had already specified I didn't want it too short. Green stubble is definitely too short and not nice.

Ironically, she had said she wouldn't slope up my nape because it would look like a guy, not nice.  So now with green stubble, it's nicer?

While I was talking to her about the green stubble, a male stylist who might be Edwin/Jenzson was sitting behind watching my reflection in the mirror that was in front of me.

I wondered what he was thinking.  Did he see the mistake and think he would do it differently? If he can do it differently, I welcome it.  Unfortunately, he just sat there with a female stylist beside him, and later got up and left.

-----
Overall, after hair wax, the style would look good from the front and sides. The back when volumized would also look pretty good. The only mistake/flaw is the back end with the green stubble. And my displeasure about her comments.

Also, the service from the stylist and hairwasher was good. Two of them blew dry my short hair at the same time (when most of the customers had left, leaving another person and myself). The stylist took her time to ensure everything was "perfect".  She also took time to brush off the hair on my face and neck with a tissue just before I walked out from the cashier.

Next up = another salon for the killing in 2~3 months' time.



2 comments:

EnricTrung said...

The next time you could try out Action Hair Boutique @ MBS, look for Jon, He's awesome !

zinepin said...

Thanks, Enric :)