Saturday 16 August 2014

Howl's Moving Castle & Google Doodle


For lack of good anime to watch (= Bishounen), I  am now re-watching Howl's Moving Castle since triggered by Google's interactive doodle.  Fabulously clear view of the movie at the site that I'm watching from!

I didn't know the author passed away in 2011. Bro told me when I mentioned about the Google doodle.

When I read what she died of, it wasn't surprising (even though the article didn't state if smoking was the cause). Authors are usually chain smokers. From her photo, she looked like she smoked a lot. 

I find it's a knowing waste. Knowing because she must have known what smoking would do. It's a myth that smoking enables people to think better. Research shows there is no enhanced thinking ability difference between people who smoke & those who don't.

In fact,  smoking destroys DNA.  Together with the lack of enhanced thinking ability & increased risk of the disease, smoking is useless.  Not only does it not help,  it shortens lifespan which could have been further used for writing more of her books that she was planning on doing.

It is an addiction that cannot be easily stopped. But between being able to live on to write more & being dead before she could complete, which would she have chosen? Unfortunately, I think she might say that without her smoke, she wouldn't be able to come up with the books. In which case, it might be said that stopping smoking isn't any better than being dead before she can complete. This is the myth that smoking helps people think better.

It's a brilliant idea that turning the dial by the door will change the location outside. Absolutely brilliant. I don't know if it's truly original or someone out there has something like that before hers. I would never have thought of it. Very beautiful & fun idea.

The first time I saw Howl's Moving Castle anime, the name Diana Wynne Jones didn't ring any bells. It was as if it was the first time I came across the name.

But actually, when I read about the book titles that she was famous for writing, I realized that I had actually read her before, when I was in my teens.  In fact, I have the hardcover book that I love in my old study cupboard: Charmed Life.

At that time, Charmed Life really blew my mind. I fell in love with the man, can't remember his name. It was very sexy, suggestive, even though nothing sexual happened (not even a kiss, of course since it's a book for young persons).  I really liked the story (though I can't remember now).  Something about a cat? Magic.

Hmm... I usually take note of the author's name. I don't know why I didn't for this Charmed Life. I think I only started to take note of authors' names when I was in my 20s. 

[Update 17 Aug Sun:  I think the author's name didn't impress upon me because it wasn't a book I chose. It was a book that I won in a story-telling competition, I think. In those days, I used to participate in such competitions. Also, the author's name was too long to remember.  Even recently, when I read her name, I always think it's "Diane" in my mind. ]

The book is in my cupboard that's currently unreachable due to Bro's stuff in front blocking the glass doors. But I remember it's there together with my other books. Blue cover. Maybe I should get it out? Bro is going to be very difficult ... I think, to convince him to move his stuff... He's going to make a lot of noise.

Anyway, here's Google Doodle sequence of the 4 door sceneries every time the dials turns by itself. That fire is Calcifer. Brilliant idea for Calcifer as well! I don't know how she thought of it!  A difference however, is that the dial is square in the doodle, whereas it's a disc in the Howl's Moving Castle anime.

 
 
Howl's Disc:

Hmm... from reading about the Google doodle, I clicked on Miyazaki's photo at the side & read that his latest movie The Wind Rises didn't do well.

I saw the trailer. Well, it's no wonder.  He is showcasing his love for the power of flight that he loves so much.  But why can't he draw more attractive characters? Bishounen? Bishoujo? Howl is at least passable. He could have been handsomer.

[I didn't even know he had a new anime out. After Howl's Moving Castle & the awful Ponya ("Ponyo" after Googling)... I stopped watching out for his anime. Till now, I still don't know what Ponyo is. Bro keeps saying it's a girl goldfish. ]

Miyazaki's anime always has that classic Miyazaki look. Only his Studio Ghibli can do it. It's hard to describe. Everything is rounded, classic, beautiful with very soft, natural realism of nature vistas that grabs me,  the amazing details & play of light & color (in Spirited Away), the softness in the realism of the movements.  I feel embraced the moment his anime opens to my view.  It draws in the heart & soul.  His love for the beauty of the European countryside mixed with Japan in his mind, is very unique.

I think for The Wind Rises, he might have cut corners with the details (fewer details) since from what the article said, his movies cost a lot to make but don't make profit. (I haven't watched The Wind Rises).

His Spirited Away was his best. After that, downhill.

"But the studio has the same style that Miyazaki is known for. Is it boiling down to people balking at watching Studio Ghibli films because Miyazaki’s name isn’t attached anymore?"

That's not true. The technology of Studio Ghibli is the same but the stories & drawings are poorer.  Nothing to do with his name.

The fact that Howl's Moving Castle was not his own original story, already disappointed me. But I like the rather (passable) handsome & sexy Howl & the music.  I have the CD, by the way.


No comments: