Monday 30 March 2015

The Chalk Farm @ Marine Parade & Paragon (cake shop cafe)

Update 8:11p.m. Friday 3 April: I checked out the Paragon outlet yesterday afternoon. It's surprisingly very small with even fewer cakes than Marine Parade and with poorer service. Disappointing.

The top half section of the Kueh Salaat cake fell off inside the takeaway box. The cake was taken from a full cake, so the woman staff must have somehow broken it when she put it into the box.

Disappointing service. She was not even attending to me & another man standing at the showcase. Instead she was preoccupied with handling some empty boxes while knowing that we were standing there.

Chalk Farm shouldn't open the small place at Paragon if the rent is too expensive. It's not classy. Poor ambience. Poor service. Only a small table in a tight corner & 2 chairs. Occupied by a man who put his bag on the seat beside him.

As for the Kueh Salaat... It was just kueh. It reminded me of the same kueh at a Malay stall downstairs many years ago.

I now have a new love.  Chateraise Japan shows how boring Singapore cake-makers are.

-------------------

Time of post: 10.47 p.m. Marine Parade.

Was there today in the afternoon, tried the Dark Chocolate Olive Oil.  My first thought was Olive oil is not going to go with chocolate.  But, turns out there isn't any heavy taste of oil.  (I was also considering to avoid chocolate due to possible Cadmium poisoning but what the heck.).

The cake is light & fluffy. But the quality of the chocolate isn't great. It's not top quality chocolate. It's just chocolate, but for $6.50, it's good enough. Better & surprisingly lower-priced than the cakes from Out of the Cake Box that I tried & costs more considering it's not in a mall (Bro & I are actually waiting for it to close down.).

The Chalk Farm @ Marine Parade has a nice & inviting decor that showcases their lovely, tempting cakes. White & quite lovely ambience. Nice & friendly staff.  Excellent & considerate service.

The older lady gave me a cup of water following my cake. I thought perhaps she had forgotten I had ordered a hot chocolate but she said "Yes, she's making it now" & just thought I would like a cup of water first.

Very tempted to try their Kueh Salaat but since bro didn't want any, I ordered only 1 cake (the chocolate).

Didn't want to order any drink even though the young lady said was on offer at a $1.50 discount. Bro didn't have enough cash but since they accept Nets, I added a hot chocolate.

Unfortunately, their hot chocolate is strangely very, very unusually thick & took a while in coming (I had almost finished my cake). Seemed it contained no milk. As if a chocolate bar had been melted into a cup. It was that thick. Pretty gross to drink. And since I didn't like it, it was expensive despite the discount.  I drank only around half (or less than half) & threw the rest into the bin outside of the cafe.

I know the young lady took the effort to make it to perfection & I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not finishing it at the cafe. But... it was really... difficult to drink.

Total cost was around $11+. Expensive drink.

Next time, maybe I'll try the Kueh Salaat.  If I happen to chance upon the shop again.

I read that a Singaporean (surname Koh) created this shop. Did he also bake/make all these cakes in the shops himself?


No comments: