Sunday 9 July 2017

Not Happy Starhub Prepaid $15 SIM Phone Card (Scam?)


Mon 10 July 12:35a.m.

>>Should have come across this<<   before buying their Prepaid $15 ($18 value) card. No wonder my psychic feeling told me to stick with M1.  Because previous years ago, I didn't like M1 for being a useless money sucker, I thought to try Starhub this time.

I haven't been using my phone for years. No money to keep topping up my old M1 Prepaid SIM money guzzler. In that M1 card, I kept topping up every 3 months just to keep it alive until it accumulated to $60 or $80 & damn M1 said they wouldn't refund me if I cut the card. In the end, I had to forfeit $60-$80 when I stopped using the prepaid card.

My psychic these days very accurate. I didn't listen to it & this time bought Starhub $15 prepaid with intention of downloading job apps from delivery companies.

In just 5 days (starting 4 July purchase to 9 July around 7+pm), all the money disappeared from this Starhub Prepaid card. I didn't make any phone call. Didn't download anything. All downloads failed when I tried (whatsapp, uparcel, ubereats), which made me realize that my phone is too old to download any Apps. Didn't use SMS at all. I turned off my phone almost always. On the first day after the purchase, I didn't even download anything & didn't know what to do with my phone.

On the day I purchased it, the customer service guy in the store told me that the free data will auto-activate upon purchase, whether I activated the card or not.  Meaning, if I just sat on the card, the 15GB would disappear in 5 days.  So, I thought it was nice of him to tell me.

Even so...

Free 5-day 15GB local data disappeared. $18 value disappeared.  The value in main wallet is now just $0.01.

Where did all the money go? I really have no idea.

Just a brief check online, I see other people experienced the same thing. Missing money.

Really, it's like being robbed without your knowing it.

Am I angry? Do I want to complain for a refund? No. It was expected that Starhub Prepaid would be shit.  On the day of purchase, I had to return to the store to change the card & the cashier took ages to issue me a new one that worked.  The service was slow even though the store was almost empty of customers. But I couldn't just walk over to next door M1 since I already paid for this card.

I don't know what to do with this Starhub card now. It's empty of cash. Can people still call in? Can I still use it to SMS? The expiry date is 6 months away. I have no intention of adding more cash to it.

Talk about scam. I think this is a pretty good one. Starhub. Established name & doing this with prepaid phone cards. I feel more cynically disgusted than upset.

It's a pity because I like this phone number. Easiest & most natural to remember. 




No comments: