Monday 17 September 2012

Avoid: Spectacle Hut Vivocity & Singapore Polytechnic (SP) Optometry (Eye) Centre/Center


Wanted to post this earlier, but somehow didn't get to it. Every once in a while, I think about it and it upsets me quite a bit. So, I'm going to post this now.

First, avoid the Spectacle Hut outlet @ Vivocity. That little kiosk of a shop across from Cold Storage, outside Giant.

A few months back, I needed some glasses done and because I didn't know of a better place, went to Spectacle Hut @ Vivocity that's nearby for me.

They were having a so-called sale for frames and lenses. After choosing from their very limited number of lousy-looking frames, I finally settled for one that I didn't like. It had heavy and cheaply/poorly designed sides that hurt when sitting on the ears.  The sale package was only for these limited number of frames in a showcase.

Pathetic frames aside, let's talk about the main problem:

The guy who tested my eyes took an amazingly long time. 1 hour or more. No kidding. It was so long, my bro was upset waiting outside at the showcases.  An experienced pro takes only 10 minutes or so.

I didn't get his name, but it was obvious he was inexperienced and not a professional in the business. He has small eyes (single-eyelids), about 30~32 years old, rectangular jawline, quite fair, around 1.65~1.70m tall, slim-built, black polo shirt and black pants. Looks like from China but his speech sounds local.

Spectacle Hut has the habit of rotating the staff so that the same "eye testers" (I wouldn't call them optometrists or even certified) are seldom seen at the shop. Later, I was informed that this guy can also be found at the Harbourfront outlet (and I saw him there).

This was the first time an eye-test for a pair of new glasses took so long.

He appeared to be uncertain and unable to determine which lenses were suitable as he kept messily taking out and putting back the different trial lenses on the optometrist's trial frame that I wore (the one that looks like a pair of over-sized cartoon spectacles).

When finally he prescribed the lenses for my new glasses, it was wrong.

I took it back to the shop and after doing another eye test,  he said it could be some kind of effect of my eyes, and recommended that I should check at the Singapore Polytechnic Optometry Centre that "very few" people know about and that it's "cheap and good". "Only $5" for complete testing by students. He assured me that they were very good when I questioned about them being students.

Another thing was that at the start, he had wanted to know my age in order to... I would say, assume I have a certain age-related eyesight problem.

So far, none of the spectacle shops I have been to, ever asked for my age in order to make a new pair of glasses. Spectacle Hut  at Vivocity is the first.

What has a customer's age got to do with giving a correct and accurate lens prescription?  An accurate prescription should be done based on the results of the eye test alone.

After his testing, I still did not have a correct prescription and was asked instead to take a test elsewhere. I am the customer, but I am being asked to make a trip elsewhere to get my eyes tested, and then get that prescription and come back with it so Spectacle Hut can make my glasses. 

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever come across in making a new pair of glasses. Spectacle Hut takes the cake.

Yet,  despite feeling unwell due to my anemia, I made a trip to Singapore Polytechnic soon after. I should have just bought my glasses from somewhere else. 

At the Singapore Polytechnic Optometry Centre, there were few "customers" there when I went in. There were however, plenty of student "staff" hanging around in white lab coats outside their white cubicles, waiting for "customers".

At the reception counter, I only entered my name, but they wanted the rest of my personal details such as age and address etc...

It was obvious the "customers" were test subjects for their Optometry course. 

While I was aware from the start that  they were students (since the Spectacle Hut guy told me), I wasn't prepared for their ineptitude, their rude supervisor and the amount of time it would take for just an eye-test.

How long did the eye-testing take? An amazing 3 hours. No damn kidding. 3 hours.

And how was it done? 

I was led to a small white room with a chair and a table of stuff at the side. First off, a male student introduced himself and asked if it would be Ok for two female students to observe while he did the testing. Although it felt like I was a test subject, I said Ok (because Spectacle Hut guy had recommended them saying they were "good").

Shortly, an older woman with short hair and glasses came in and I guessed she was their lecturer (since this is after all a polytechnic). 

She did not introduce herself, but just walked in and started behaving with attitude. Lording over things, questioning the male student in a very stern and offensive way about what he was doing and why, as if he was a small boy.  

She was very distracting, very disturbing and wasted a lot of my time. 

She was also very rude, which was rather surprising considering that I am a customer (member of the public) and not one of her students whom she can push or lecture around. 

As a customer, I had paid to get my eyes checked, regardless of the amount. So I am not a test subject but a customer. Test subjects do not pay to be in experiments, but instead get paid. Neither was I a test volunteer.

Right off, she demanded to know my age and was not satisfied until I gave it (even though the information was already in the card at reception). Her tone was very rude, very disrespectful to a customer who had come for an eye test. 

Again, what has a customer's age got to do with the optometrist being able to perform an accurate eye test? A pro can do a fast and accurate eye test with no personal questions asked at all.

Second: Wasting my time. Her students would "test" my eyes first, then she would question their methods in a very egotistical and insulting way. After a lot of messing around by the students, she would finally test my eyes herself in a very unprofessional and distracted way. 

I told her I would rather she do the testing, because it was taking too long.  She agreed but didn't do much about it.

When she left the room for a while, I asked the male student what was her name. Anna Yeo, their lecturer. Click on the Optometry link above and you'll see the staff directory.

PhD.  Lacking in public relations skills and social etiquette.  What an embarrassment. I know of professors who conduct themselves far better than her.

Third: When finally, I wanted to leave on the pretext of wanting to go out to buy food, she stopped me, quickly turning friendly and concerned, telling me that it's only for a little while longer. 

She wouldn't let me leave as though I was a hard-to-come-by guinea pig that she needed to complete her experiments on.

Her little while longer took quite a lot longer. 

(I actually refused 2 experiments that required dripping "eye drops" to test blood pressure or whatever crap. Wasn't going to trust them with putting anything in my eyes. ).

Fourth: After 3 long, tedious hours,  she misdiagnosed, giving me Astigmatism that I didn't have, and giving me a prescription that was wrong. I found this out later from another optometrist at another shop called IEC.

Without knowing her prescription was wrong, I gave it to Spectacle Hut and they made my glasses based on it. The result, was another wrongly prescribed pair of glasses.


So this was the 2nd time Spectacle Hut had to remake my glasses.


At the same time, I went to IEC on the next level of Vivocity to make a new pair of glasses. The optometrist Yvonne gave me a prescription totally different from PhD Anna Yeo.

Yvonne did not detect any Astigmatism at all. She also did not ask for personal details such as my age. And the eye test was done in about 15~20 minutes. 

Since the IEC prescription was done on a more professional and certified basis, I took it to Spectacle Hut and told them to change the SP Optometry's prescription to this new one (without telling them that the new prescription was from IEC. Instead, I said this new prescription was from the Optometry Centre that I went back to redo the eye test and that the Optometry people said they had made a mistake with the first one).

Spectacle Hut then remade my glasses a 3rd time.

So at the moment, I have 2 different pairs of glasses, both not perfect. But based on IEC's prescription, they are more accurately prescribed than at Spectacle Hut & the Optometry Centre's 3 hour "testing".   
---------

Update 19 Feb Wed 2014:  IEC isn't that great. Although the variety of frames is good,  the frames & glasses are very expensive. And the lenses degree measurement is wrong/inaccurate.  Those neighbourhood shops can do better.

Even at the start, after buying a $500+ spectacles (frame+lenses), there were problems with focusing. I had to take it back a few times, but every time, Yvonne the optometrist would say it just needs getting used to.

During the testing, she spent time talking unnecessarily rather than paying attention to the eye check. It thus took longer than usual & was inaccurate.

The glasses had this strange effect: when I looked up across at something, the focus would suddenly go off.  I told her this, and she just gave me some vague explanation and I still walked out with the problem.

After paying so much for the specs, I stopped wearing it after a while because it gave me a headache. Returning to IEC a few times failed to solve the problem.

My current glasses were made recently at a neighbourhood shop. The testing took only around 5~10 mins. Very accurate guy and the whole thing is nicer & cheaper than IEC.  No problems.

And I don't like Rachel @ IEC. Filipino woman. She is still there, I think, when I looked in recently.  She makes very annoying comments and had no respect for me as a customer.



13 comments:

oldbread said...

While I do not know how they do things there. From reputation, I was under the impression the optometry center is more for those who want a comprehensive test but sans the hospital fees which could cost you $80 for prescription alone.

Last tested there 9-10 years ago but it was what I expected though duration wasn't 3 hrs since I skipped a lot if tests .

Maybe the issue here is accommodation?

zinepin said...

Once more... I think the reader has not read the post well. It is something many (forum) people tend to do.

The main point/s of a post always escape/s them somehow.

It is a fact, not personal. And it is always the non-geniuses who leave comments. Where are the rocket scientists?

In reply:

The issue here is not about money or "accommodation", assuming you mean accommodation to mean....

Anyone knows what the reader means by "accommodation"?

Posting the above post, is so that people will be aware and wary, or think twice or thrice, or don't go...

If go, then don't say I didn't warn you (the general reader).

If you didn't get to meet PhD, then good for you (the general reader).

9 to 10 years ago, many things were different.

If you intentionally skipped the tests, then I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

The reason why they asked your age is that it has some connection to to your eye problem if your above 40, does you look like 40years over?
I am a former optician here in SG, usually i ask age if i reckon the problems comes when you do reading and do works at close range.
But I can also estimate your age by knowing the amount of your reading power.
I can do the eye test even faster than 5 minutes sure, and I can bet with its 100% correct. But they redicule me with this they say I have no knowledge and rely only in the machine.
The guys that you encounter are those who rely on the books and not by experiences obviously a boyscout who insist doing the 21 steps which is obsolete and un necessary thats is why it took 2 to 3 hours. They act like a doctor but they are not, I feel sorry for them they are actually a retail man no different from any ordinary retailer of shoe bags etc who work 12 hours till weekend and ph.
If I could turn back the time I will not take this course in college.
Those who are planning to this ocupation, please think again be good to yourself.

zinepin said...

Well, I already explained to them that ever since buying an LED laptop, the bright screen ruined my eyes for near vision.

But they ignored that and instead focused on age. Even after telling them the age, they still gave wrong prescription. So what's the use of demanding to know my age in the first place?

Whether young or old, a person is entitled to his/her need for personal privacy.

Not only did they not respect a customer's preference for privacy regarding personal details, they messed up on prescription and testing.

Stupidity and inexperience takes up a lot of another person's time. If they are not fully qualified, they should not open shop or treat customers as their experimental subjects for the sake of graduation.

Yes, I believe that an experienced optician can do an accurate prescription in less than 5 mins, although so far those experienced ones I've come across usually take 5~10 mins (always no problem after making the glasses).

Those at the SP Optometry Centre are just students. When I asked, one of them confirmed that they had to do it in order to graduate. The problem is, their so-called woman lecturer.

Between her and the students, it was like watching The 3 Stooges performing right in front of you while you sit there waiting.

Even if they graduate, these students won't be good anyway.

zinepin said...

*******
The below was posted on 30 Jan by Eliza.
**********

Just read your blog and personally speaking - you are a very obliging client/ customer, you waited, or perhaps, chose to wait, for your glasses to be made despite the long wait.

I am sure (or hope) you have given constructive feedbacks to the said insitution and shops on the poor service and /or experience received as Singapore now values good customer service.

All the best.

zinepin said...

The below post was my reply to Eliza on 30 Jan
**********

Well, Eliza, so far, your comment is the only positive one. Thanks for seeing the matter in the correct light. :)

I didn't bother to feedback to the companies as it's more important to get it out here where people/customers can read and beware.

Unknown said...

I thought I like to share my experience with another optical shop, Sands Eyecare, at One@KentRidge at NUH.
I paid for a pair of 1.6 progressive glasses. When I brought it home, I realized that the lenses were thick - it is similar to the 1.5 type. I brought it back to the shop. The owner, Sandy, tried to give the reason that it was due to an increase in my astigmatism. When I reminded her that it has increased only 25 degrees (and it was in 1 eye only), she told me that she would return it to the lenses manufacturer to check. She claimed that it would take some time.
After 3 weeks without receiving a message from her, I sent an SMS to her today. After some time, she replied claiming that the pair of glasses were returned to her only yesterday and she 'forgot' to contact me.
When I went to collect the pair of glasses, I saw no difference compared to before although she claimed that the manufacturer had tried to grind the thickness down. Again she gave the same reason that it was due to my astigmatism. (I forgot to remind her that the increase was only in 1 eye.) When I said that an increase of 25 degrees could not have make such a big difference, she changed her story. She said that lenses from different manufacturers can have different thickness.
For a person who claimed to have 13 years of experience, I am surprised she could give such reasons.
I have use 1.6 lenses of at least 2 different brands and they were all of the same thickness. My wife had made several pairs before. So I know the difference between 1.5 and 1.6 glasses.
My advice is to avoid going to Sands Eyecare.

Anonymous said...

I would like to share my experiences with Spectacle Hut at Nex Branch. The Malay lady staff was unhelpful, not willing to serve, didn’t give the correct prescription and because of the horrendous attitude, she was pissed when I did not make the glasses there eventually. It is the first time I have experienced such poor service from an optical shop. Please quit from customer service line if you have such horrible attitude towards your customers. Please do not visit that outlet unless you want to be mistreated. Mine was a genuine experience. I’m not sure about other outlets and can’t comment much but Nex one, too lousy for words.

zinepin said...

Good thing you walked out. There're plenty of optical shops to give your money. The service at Owndays seems good. I haven't even walked into their shops & they were already very nice & attentive. Can consider making glasses there.

Once I was standing outside the Marina Square outlet waiting for my bro. From some distance, I was watching their promotional TV. The Owndays guy came all the way out smiling, to give me a pamplet to introduce their brand. Wah, impressed.

Unknown said...

I can't deny that those staff at Owndays (or at least in 3 of their outlets) are very friendly and courteous. The only reason why I did not make my pair of glasses there was that their progressive lenses aren't suitable for me. The viewing angle is too narrow (if I have stated it correctly).

zinepin said...

How about Paris Miki? Very good service though prices too high for me.

Unknown said...

There are 2 opticians that I would recommend and their prices are reasonably considering the brands they carry.
1. I-Frame Optics at Redhill.
2. Ghim Moh Optical.
The owner of the former is Alex. He was the one who told my wife to have a checkup at the polyclinic as he suspected there was something more serious with her eyes. It turned out that my wife's contaract has gotten to an advanced stage. It advanced so gradually that my wife did not realize it. Now, after the contaract surgery at SNEC, her vision is almost perfect - no presbyopia, no astigmatism, only 25 degrees of myopia. So, now she does not need to wear any glasses.
2. The owner of the latter is Florence. She has been operating her shop at Gim Moh for more than 20 years. She has many regular customers. She told me that she has a customer who would buy several pairs of glasses each time. Her prices are very reasonably. I had a pretty good price for my pair of Hoya progressive lenses with a Calvin Klein frame.

zinepin said...


Oh, I see. Thanks. I may drop by these shops to see their range.