Saturday 23 February 2013

Din Tai Fung @ Paragon Review (Chinese Dim Sum/Restaurant)


Since it seems so popular, decided to check it out with bro yesterday 22 Feb Friday.

Actually, the target was the Din Tai Fung @ Chinatown Point. But the China woman who led us to the table was so impolite that I decided not to eat there.  When she realized we needed an ATM since they didn't accept Nets, she stopped smiling and looked away. She didn't even bother to tell us where we could find the nearest ATM until I asked.

Although I told her we would be back, I decided not to after we went for the ATM inside the MRT (outside Chinatown Point).

At Din Tai Fung Paragon, we ordered 3 Steamed Vegetarian buns, 6 Vegetarian Dumplings, Wanton Noodle Soup, Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice. Shortly, I was informed the dumplings were not available.

At the end of our meal, we ordered 6 Chocolate Red Bean dumplings. Total cost:  $38+

The tea that was served, we realized were $1 each, added to our bill without our knowledge or consent.

The prices are reasonable/low, but the food does not deserve any commendation. In fact, the items were disappointing.

The ingredients of the Vegetarian buns were little and tasted flat. The skin of the buns was thick. Very badly done.  I didn't even complete eating 1.

The soup of the Wanton noodle tasted Ok but in bro's opinion, the item was not great.

The Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice was too oily that it made finishing it a little difficult/gross. The taste was Ok and the rice fluffy, but nothing great.  The shrimp/prawns however were many, big, bouncy and fresh.

The Chocolate Red Bean dumplings which I hoped would save our meal, was even more of a disappointment. Although the skin of the dumplings was thin, it was ruined by the thick topknots. The chocolate lava inside that should have been heavenly was instead un-sweet and quite tasteless. I only managed to eat 2.

Of course, I won't be trying anymore of this Chinese eatery which I told bro is just a high-class Kopi Tiam. I should add, it's not high-class as well, just paying for food that's not nice. 


No comments: