Wednesday 6 February 2013

Yomenya Goemon 313 @ Somerset Review Japanese Restaurant Orchard Road


First time there last night 5 Feb evening.

The place was completely empty. The cook was standing in his kitchen touching a part of his face (?). Waitresses absent.

Was surprised because in a review I read, photos had people dining all around the bar.  The reviewer had said it's reasonably priced with rather good food.  Going back to the blog to check now... it was posted in Nov 2011.  How did the outlet manage to get past 2012?

Had 2nd thoughts about dining there with no waitresses standing to greet customers at the entrance.  Popped my head to look at the cook a few times to see if he was digging his nose or something, until he noticed me and looked up with interest to see if I was going to be a customer.

He must have signalled to the waitresses in there because the two of them came out. One darker and one lighter complexioned.

Companies, take note:  Do Not hire foreign waitresses who cannot understand English! 

Without realizing she didn't understand English, I jovially asked the darker complexioned waitress, "Are we early? How come there's no one?". 

"Huh?", she asked, looking smilingly clueless.

That was when I was instantly displeased realizing she was a foreigner who didn't understand what I just said.

I repeated in a disinterested voice, "Are we early?" and just left it at that. I hate having to repeat myself twice to a service staff who cannot understand it the first time. Why do these companies hire them??!!!

The other waitress didn't even say a thing and disappeared shortly.

The dark complexioned waitress tried getting us to sit inside. I indicated an outer table,  but she said it's a table that allows her space to put a baby chair along the outer side.


For damnation's sake, the entire place was empty! Not as if suddenly there's going to be a family with baby who will sit at that table. 

In fact, I wanted to sit close to the entrance because I felt like walking out if I change my mind about the menu later.  If I did, bro might make noise about my change of mind etc...  So, I had to hang on.

Ignoring the waitress and her stupid reason about not being able to sit at that table, I walked inside where I chose a table I liked and sat regardless of whatever crap she was saying.

We looked at the menu. I told bro that if he didn't see anything he liked, we could go (I hoped). No forcing.

(Disapppointingly) He chose something (as if to insist on staying).  Sesame Shabu sphagetti.

I chose as well.  Hokkaido Cream Soup.

The cook had just 2 of our orders displayed on his computer screen mounted in the kitchen.  (Even after we finished, the place was still empty.).

At first, I thought the cook was watching TV, but the screen was blank. Then 2 white squares with information on it popped up on the left side of the screen and the cook immediately got to work. That's when I realized he had been waiting for our orders that were those 2 squares that appeared on screen.

After ordering, the food came after a reasonable amount of time. 

Presentation of the food was well done.  However, bro said his Sesame Shabu was too salty with the pork shabu having a rather strong pork smell.

On my side, the soup was Ok.  Light cream cheese taste with 2 small quarters of potatoes that tasted nice. The spaghetti was too much and a little too firm. The ingredients inside too little with just 2 small cubes of Salmon, an almost non-existent shred of Brocolli, 2 super thin strips of carrot, 2 strips of bacon that tasted nice, and a little bit of corn.

Total: $33.54.

Bro tasted a little of my spaghetti and said it was better than his order.

For my soup, I give failing grade 4/10.  This restaurant loses to Ma Maison @ Bugis Junction (which I already felt wasn't that great).

At the end, I asked the dark complexioned waitress, "Is there a ladies here?". She completely didn't understand, didn't reply and just strolled away.

I predict the outlet @ 313 Somerset will close down sooner or later.  Food is one thing. Service is another. With both bad,  it's just waiting for the inevitable.



No comments: