Saturday 11 May 2013

DECLEOR @ SEVIIN Tangs (Aroma Body Massage Review)

11 May Sat:  The below post was actually done right after trying out the massage but not yet posted because I was considering giving them a 2nd chance that would be free (1-for-1). If I posted it, they might know it should I return for a 2nd try.

The 2nd try was more than a month after the 1st.  I actually wasn't sure I would be going back and really very reluctant even though it would be free.

The first time was bad enough. Only the possibility that a different masseuse might be better managed to persuade me to return for a 2nd.

The 2nd time with a different masseuse did not improve my first opinion.

These are masseuses that don't seem to have been professionally trained. I don't know where they were recruited from. They seem to have only working experience but haven't been taught professionally. Their skills are not there. They don't know much about massage.

I've experienced the best massage so far, so I know what is good. So far, no other spa place has matched up to expectation.

The  Sevinn main front desk staff's service/attitude was also not as good as the first time I was there.  They have started to slack already.

The space within the Decleor massage rooms are also very small, such that it was distracting when the masseuse had to break the massage to go around the massage bed.  Decleor itself is very small, yet divided into 6 rooms.

There was also no soothing music playing in the ceiling speakers during the massage. When I asked during my 2nd massage, the masseuse told me the speakers were spoilt.

--------------------------

22 Feb

When there's a new spa place, you can expect me to check it out (if I discover it).

As one blogger mentioned, not even the Tangs staff are aware their 7th floor has been converted into a spa, salon and gentlemen's lounge.

Still, the staff should know about the new spa instead of being completely clueless.  

Near the escalator on the 2nd floor, the pillar says for the 7th floor:
Seviin
Spa. Salon. Lounge.

A trio too exciting to be missed.

On 22 Feb, I stopped to ask the salesgirl nearby the escalator on the 2nd floor where I could take the lift. She appeared reluctant to realize she was being asked, and when she replied, was totally clueless, "Are you a staff? To me, the 7th floor is the office.".

That being the case, I glanced around. Near the restrooms are 2 lifts that go only till the 4th floor. However, just before these, there is a glass-door section "Carpark" within which are 2 more lifts that go up to the 7th floor.

On the 7th floor, once the lift doors opened, I saw 2 men afixing the SEVIIN name on the wall. That's how new the place is.

Once I stepped in, past the automatic door on the left, I glanced up at the long stairs leading to "The Loft" which I initially thought was the lounge. Bro brought my attention back, down to the lovely lady who was leaning forwards from the reception counter, smiling and enquiring how she may be of service.

She very naturally accepted my reason for being there (curiosity after noticing their existence on the escalator pillar) and easily began taking bro and myself on a little tour of the place as though people have been coming up and she's been doing the same for them.

As she led us, she said the place is new.

There were very few visitors there. Just a few men sitting in the sofas and male customers in the hair salon.

The Gentlemen's Lounge dominated the area with us walking around it along the narrow, carpeted corridors.

Very small area for the 7th floor.  Online, a website said it used to be the Tangs warehouse. Rather small for a warehouse.

We were not shown inside the Gentlemen's Lounge.  However, I enjoyed her professional-ish manner and smiling service. I say "professional-ish" because it wasn't as polished or sophiscated as the luxurious image of the place implies.

At the end, she gave me a Decleor brochure with the prices since I was interested in the spa massage.  Along with it, was a little brochure for the " "Urban Hair" salon with prices as well, and a Gentlemen's Lounge card with information on what's available and first-timer discounts for bro.

I liked when she smilingly said, "See you again." as we left. 

Very nice lady, lovely face, smiling attendance.

Seeing the massage price, I had every intention of returning. It is half of what I pay for at The Oriental Spa. I haven't had a massage in a long time and desperately needed one. Have been needing one for a while but no idea where else to go after the disappointments of previous spas.

Seviin provided a new choice to try.

-----------

23 Feb.   (First Try)

It has been exactly 1 month since Seviin opened if online information is correct regarding the opening date of La Mer, one of the beauty spa tenants there. I'm guessing the tenants opened at or around the same time before Seviin opened.

So, the day after I was given the tour, I returned for a body massage.

Only one spa tenant offers body massage: Decleor. The others offer facial treatments.

Service: 

Excellent. VIP feeling.  Starting from Seviin's reception counter ladies. Always with a smile, even when one of them met me along the corridor as I was leaving after the massage.

After I took the lift to have a look upstairs at The Loft and came back down to go, both receptionists smiled their farewell greetings behind the counter as I passed them.

There was a Kiehl's Whitening workshop when I arrived. When I left, a man was packing things upstairs and the ladies were gone.

At Decleor (inside Seviin), service was excellent as well. Very friendly, warm and sincere staff from start to finish. Tea was very nice and hot. Chrysanthemum with rosebuds (and sweetened with red dates as the masseuse informed me).

Unfortunately, there are no shower facilities in Seviin at all, not even in the Gentlemen's Lounge. And if only there was a swimming pool. I wouldn't mind paying to use it, pay-per-use.  


The Aroma Body Massage:

Appointment was made for a 60 mins massage @ $120.  But as I talked to the Decleor woman and we touched on first-timer discounts,  she offered me a 1-for-1 60 mins Body Massage for $120. 

I have been to different spas at different prices.  Unfortunately, this is the only spa that has given me some aches and pains after the massage. 

Taking the bus home after the massage, I felt a little backache on the left.  It went away shortly. But at night and throughout the rest of the next day, I felt some ache and pain especially at the back of my neck and back of my shoulders where the wrong technique was applied with pressure. My knees and calves hurt a little when pressed.

I won't mention the name of the masseuse since she was sincere and attentive in her service. Plus, she looked stressed and anxious. But, she really needs to change her massage.

Her massage was not harmonious and inconsistent.  Possibly, it reflects her own anxious and stressed mind.

Inconsistent in that a set of massage would be done on one side of the body but miss out on a part of the set on the other side. Meaning, the exact same thing is not done on both sides.

Before we began, I had mentioned requiring just gentle strokes. No kneading or squeezing. At the start, I had adjusted her pressure, but during the massage, it increased.  This does not happen with professional masseuses who can maintain a steady, even pressure throughout once the initial pressure has been agreed upon.

Heavy pressure was also applied at the back of my shoulders, repeatedly over the same areas as if ironing out the "knots". I notice older masseuses tend to do this (Afond Spa did this too). However, they go against the muscles instead of with, thereby causing aches and pains. This means that they are not professionally trained.

When massaging up my legs,  a little pain was caused by her fingers against the skin as they went up. This happened on both legs.  I did not notice if her fingernails were cut.

Far from relaxing, I was awake the whole time. From the start, the massage failed to take my mind away from the massage.

Bro said perhaps she's still learning. But I doubt it because she's an older masseuse.

I have been given another chance to try a massage another time, but I am in fact, quite reluctant. Perhaps a change of masseuse might be different. But I doubt it.  What if it were the same? I don't fancy another round of bruising.

Still... maybe I might get desperate enough to want another massage... and hope another masseuse will be better.

This massage has only made me miss an amateur massage from a woman who had previously volunteered to massage me.  To think Decleor's massage could make me miss an amateur's massage and make me want to contact her again.  Decleor's massage can't even match up to that amateur's?



No comments: