Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Wayan Retreat & Spa Sauvignon

http://www.wayanretreat.com/wayan/wayanhome.html  Wayang Retreat?

http://www.spasauvignon.com.sg/index.htm

So. There's the review of these 2. Get bored @ $68 or $98, your pick.
It's been a search for a spa or someone as good as my Gene who has sadly left The Oriental Spa. According to a staff this May when I asked, she has returned to the Philippines.

Oddly, the first time I met Gene was at a bad time in my life. A loved one had passed away for a year at that time and my mind and body craved healing. It was not the first time I experienced a body massage, but it was the first time I found peaceful bliss being under a person's hands. For that moment, I was truly at peace.

It was most odd and most magical. I have not been able to re-create it with other masseuses, other spas, and not even with Gene on the second time. No idea why.

The second time was a year apart and by then, I guess she was jaded by her work which might have just become a mundane chore to her. I guess the first time, she was new and she was able to put in her best in the best ever massage I had ever been privileged to experience. 

I remember her somber eyes as she looked at me the first time. My own gaze, in hindsight was sad and serious. I always felt that she might have seen the pain in my eyes that day.

I was new at feeling sensuous massage, and she was probably new at giving it. So, it was a blend of the beautiful new that both of us came under very harmoniously and sensuously. I can never forget it.

Unfortunately, the second time a year later, was very different. Her eyes were hard-edged and she looked tired. There were lines under her eyes and she looked worn. Her massage was unexpectedly dull and lacked heart and soul. She wasn't in it at all and her last strokes were simply a matter of the process, part of the course, without a single feeling.
I was disappointed and made it known that her technique had changed from the first time. She seemed irritated by the observation and said I should have specified clearly what I wanted. 

As I left the room, she said politely, "See you again." as part of their course. I nodded, feeling very disappointed and heart-broken, not intending at all to return because it was just too much, too different to bear.

That was last year. This year 2011, I went back to ask about her. As I already could guess, Gene is no longer working there.

I guess whatever it was she was unhappy about caused her to leave. Bad customers demanding more than just a massage? Problems at home? I likely will never know.

But during these years, since I experienced her first massage, I have been missing her hands, missing the time, the feeling, everything. I want it back and can't seem to get it no matter how much I spend. 

I've even put up ads soliciting even non-experienced ladies to massage sensuously. But no luck.

The idea of trying more spas that was unlikely to give me what I want, was not attractive. Money was one thing, disappointment was another. The thought of being disappointed again kept me from going to another spa. 

This time, April, I have some cash and have been feeling a big need for massage since last year. Remembering Bali-style massage in 2 youtube videos, I was thinking of Balinese massage. Must I go to Bali or wherever the videos were taken, to experience such sensuous massage as like my Gene's?

Google turned up Javanese massages that I have no idea about. And Balinese massage @ The Wayan Retreat @ Bussorah Street. 

A year ago, I had also seen Spa Sauvignon's website but didn't bother going there, even with their wine spa "treatments". SS is also at Bussorah Street, just a walk away from TWRetreat. SS is actually easier to see and find than TWRetreat because SS is just at the outside of the street where you drop off at the bus-stop.

A bus number that can go there, right at the door-step, is 100. Both these spa places are across the Park Royal hotel on Beach Road. 

Tempted to go in SS first, but passed it as prior appointment had already been made with TWRetreat for 90 mins Aromatherapy Massage. 

TWRetreat needs keen eyes to spot it from the cafes and shops around it. It doesn't help that its awning covers its name and shadows its facade.

Upon pushing through the door... look down. Be careful of stepping on those slabs and pebbles, in case your heels (if you're wearing any) get stuck, or you trip. The place is immediately, obviously small. Not good.

However, the reception counter staff were friendly. There were 2 women there and they welcomed me with smiles. 

I was asked to take a seat behind the counter where there was a small sofa space, some magazines and a few little dishes of incense salts for decoration.

I asked to use their restroom and was shown inside, past a door where the ground was more pebbly than before. Treacherous to cross, and I was wearing sports shoes. You could get a sprain easily just by putting a foot the wrong way. 

Along the way, I opened the wrong door (the staff had left me alone to make my way to the toilet) and saw an empty massage "room" (more like a hut).

Very small lane to the toilet, all the way to the back of the shophouse.

The toilet was quite small and not classy. The wash basin was outside of it with a wobbly but functional tap that takes a bit of knack to turn on for the water to start. Again, nothing yet to be impressed about. 

I emerged back at the reception, assuming things were ready to go, but was told to wait further in the sitting space behind... (I wasn't early and it was in fact a little late since spas require clients to be 10 mins early).

The masseuse appeared and from my appointment, I already knew she was from China. I was given a choice of a "better" Malay senior masseuse for next day, but decided to move up the appointment and was told it would be a "Chinese" masseuse. They have no masseuses from the Philippines or from Bali. 

Usually, I avoid China masseuses because I don't believe they can massage well, or provide the sensuous style that I desire. 

However, not to deprive someone of a chance... and keen to have a massage after so long of deprivation, I accepted a China masseuse. 

Before going to the "room" with her, a woman from the reception counter confirmed with me the rates again. 

She was dressed in black, I didn't like her face that was rather thickly made up with a mole near the chin, and I assumed she must be the boss. 

Feeling doubtful about my masseuse, I asked if there was any promotional discount for first-timers (as spas usually have that) and she said only for the 60 mins.

As she didn't come forth easily with the promotional price (just like she didn't come forth with the fact that they had a promotional price for first-timers), I asked how much? She seemed split-second reluctant, but said $68 for 60 mins. 

That sounded good, compared to $168 for 90 mins, particularly when I didn't feel this China masseuse would be any good. For a try @ $68 was fine. I said if the massage was good, I would extend the time with her. The woman agreed with that and said I just needed to let the masseuse know if I wanted to extend.

For just an additional 30 mins, the price was an additional $100. Didn't make sense and wasn't worth it even if the massage was super good. I doubt if would come anywhere near my Gene's standard.

When you have experienced the best, it's doubtful anything else can come close.

After confirming that I had changed from 90 mins to 60 mins, I went with my masseuse through the door. She led me to our "room" with a wooden door. Inside, it looked more like a hut than a room. Not good.

It was also rather warm as if it was really a hut. 

The place has an open-air safari/village concept that is squeezed into this shophouse, resulting in a very cheap-looking place.

The massage bed was in a small space inside the hut, covered in batik cloth. There was a big red handbag at the foot of it. 

The masseuse told me to put my clothes in the handbag and wrap myself up with a batik sarong sheet. She then went out and politely returned after a few minutes. 

In the time she left me alone, I looked more carefully at the adjoining section that contained the Jacuzzi tub. A partition was between that section and the massage "room".

After having tried so many massages, I know whether a masseuse is the one, the moment she lays her hand on me. This China masseuse is not the one and I could just walk out if I wanted.

I don't need to go through the whole massage to know whether she's good or not. She's not. 

Her starting move was flat. Her subsequent moves were what I call "textbook" in that there weren't any customizable or special techniques or strokes. These strokes can be found in "how to" massage books in the library.

Her massage was so boring, you could SMS or talk on the phone while under her hands. It was a massage that couldn't take the mind off anything at all. Right at the start, I thought about money, how boring her strokes were, where to go next, seeing myself walk into Spa Sauvignon in my mind, and whether I would ever find what I experienced with Gene the first time.

A massage like that, that doesn't take the mind off things, is useless. A good sensuous massage should wake the mind only to itself, to its senses, to the way the hands move and the feelings they are raising. It wakes the mind and body to a different world. The world becomes only the massage and nothing else. 

I commented it felt rather warm, wasn't the air-con on? She said it's working but low. I was perspiring before the massage began. Usually, I would feel cool and cold down my feet in the better spas.

As the massage droned on, people walking back and forth outside could be seen and heard through the hut door. Very distracting. Also, there was no soothing, inspiring massage music. Instead, Balinese metal twanging could be heard from the reception area. And there was drilling coming from what sounded like next door. Renovation?

Bad. 

It is always a good idea to start with 60 mins with a new spa place and a new masseuse. You can't go wrong with that. For smaller spa places, always ask if first-timers get promotional discount.

If it's good, you can always come back with a longer duration and more money. Rather than spend more on a 90 mins and discover it's not good. Smaller spas like this, usually have promotional discounts for first-timers, so ask.

At the end, the woman in black at the reception asked how I felt. I said Ok and paid for it. A staff served me very refreshing and warm ginger tea. Loveliest ginger tea I've ever tried and she was happy, asked if I would like another cup. I said no, thanks.

The woman in black made a small attempt at asking if I would like to join their spa package and I simply said a firm no with a smile. I think she took the cue that the massage wasn't good enough.

Then I made my way across the unsafe pebbles and slabs to get to their main door. 

Usually, I avoid saying how bad a massage is, out of respect for the masseuse who has been "intimate" with me. I don't want the masseuse to get into trouble for a job that I'm sure is not easy to do. I do not wish to blame the slave for the master's fault. And from her face, I don't think the woman in black is a kind or nice employer, which is why I do not like her.

Out the door, I simply walked over to SS, which is just a few paces away and is more prominent.

Pushing through the door, there is no reception there. It's just an empty space with white pebbles on the floor and walking slabs (yes, again).

Pushing into another door, was a larger space with a hanging beaded curtain down partway dividing the place into 2 sections. 2 ladies were seated at the end, both turned to my presence and one of them started to rise as I turned to their catalogue of services and rates at the counter.

I didn't bother saying much. Just cut to the chase with what they had and what I wanted. The woman who had risen had blue eyeshadow done in an odd way, but not unattractive.

She seemed curious and surprised by my approach. Probably, they don't get clients like me usually.

I told her I had just walked over from TWRetreat. So, she knew this would be my second massage in a row. Then I waited for her to advise me against trying a second massage in a row, but it never came.

Obviously, being business, I would not be turned away.

She asked how was TWRetreat? Obviously, interested in the competitor in the industry.

I said the massage was "textbook" and she frowned at the meaning of it. Obviously, nobody had ever said a massage was "textbook" and this was new to her.

I explained that there are books for these sort of things, and the strokes were simply repetitive (rather than creative or sensuous). Accompanying my explanation, I raised my hands to mildly demonstrate what I tried to mean. I didn't think she knew what I mean, even though she tried and seemed to.

She recommended the Swedish massage and I put forth my experience in a cruise ship where a manly masseuse gave me a Swedish that I would never forget and never want to try again. She was puzzled and said that shouldn't be a true Swedish, because Swedish should be soothing and relaxing.

Mm hm. Well, I've had enough of their "soothing and relaxing" and I won't be taken in. As far as I am concerned, Swedish is what I had on that cruise ship and I won't be trying it again (although I've begun to wonder if I should go looking for her as it wasn't all that bad...).

After conveying what I didn't like in a massage (no pounding, no kneading, no squeezing. Just soothing, flowing strokes), she said she had slot available for that moment. Somehow, the smaller spas always manage to come up with a masseuse even at the last minute, so there is really no real need to book in advance.

At TWRetreat, I had hoped the masseuse would be young and pretty. She had turned out to be youngish-looking but not pretty.

Now at the SS... I worried about the same thing and guess I would land with an .... auntie.

Somehow, I was right. She was not pretty or young. According to the woman at the reception, they only had locals and Malay masseuses... maybe Indonesians. They had no one from the Philippines.

So, this dark-complexioned masseuse was... I guessed Indonesian. She started out polite and nice as she told me where to leave my clothes and things. They always start out nice and polite... and then the boring massage begins.

While she was talking to me, I noticed out the corner of my eye, someone standing outside the door and assumed it was that young woman from the reception come to see if my needs were tended to.

As was usual with masseuses, my masseuse informed me of the disposable g-string they had for clients. I said I was wearing my own.

I turned away from the door to unzip my cotton jacket and noted that the person standing outside the door turned to go.

Again, right when the masseuse placed her hand on me, I knew she was not it. It just was the wrong way of starting a sensuous massage.

Overall, as I told the young woman who had attended to me at reception, the masseuse's techniques were smooth and flowing, and therefore better than TWRetreat. But in fact, the strokes were only slightly better than the China masseuse.

The Spa Sauvignon Aromatic Bliss massage @ $98 (I asked and she gave me their promotional price for 60 mins) was boring with just a few interesting strokes that didn't save it.

There was completely no music played. And there was distraction coming from another massage room where it sounded like someone was making slapping sounds on skin. Another customer?

Like TWRetreat, there was the sound of drilling coming from further away. The masseuse's hands were rounded, plump and rough (which was surprising considering masseuses' hands are usually smooth and soft due to the essential oils they are always in contact with). Sorry to say, it was quite repulsive when her hand linked with mine during her technique (which my Gene @ The Oriental Spa does better).

The place being a shophouse was again limited by space and odd corners.

Shophouses do not make good spa or massage places.

So. There's the review of these 2. Get bored @ $68 or $98, your pick. Total, instead of spending $168 on a 90 mins massage at TWRetreat, the money was split into 2 places with a savings of $2. Not a total loss, but also still a waste.

At the end, the SS reception lady and my masseuse introduced me to their scrub powders that I was curious about and got up from my seat to examine their big glass jars. Since I requested for water, a glass was at the table for me.

There was an elderly woman (white-haired, educated-looking like a grandma in the Chinese advertisements on TV, possibly rich) sitting in the sofa and I'm guessing she's a customer.

The SS reception lady kept in the anxious question until it seemed she couldn't anymore, "How was it? Was it what you were looking for?".

It was a question that I wasn't really ready or willing to answer, didn't want to burst her anticipation. No, it wasn't what I was looking for, but I said it was Ok with a bit of smile without looking at her, and I think that sent the message.

At the start, the SS reception lady also pulled open a drawer of clients who had taken up their spa packages, as proof that SS is that good. (I  wasn't convinced).

SS's service is good, but that's about it. An expected disappointment even when I saw their website last year (which is why I never bothered to check out the place). 

After these 2, I went back to The Oriental Spa to look for my Gene or to give a chance to a new masseuse. That's when the reception counter lady informed me that Gene had left. I think it's the same lady even back when I first met Gene. 

The reception lady still looks the same, but at a point when she strained to say something to me, I saw lines and darkness under her eyes. Lack of adequate sleep. 

I booked for a 60 mins with a new masseuse from the Philippines, Aromatherapy massage. Her fingers and hands felt good for massage, somewhat like Gene's, but unfortunately, her technique paled in comparison. I had requested light hands and hers was light, but too light and I didn't see the need to mitigate it. Usually, once I've given instructions, I don't interrupt the masseuse during a massage.

She did ask if the pressure was Ok and at first I said fine, but as it went on, I felt it was too light and the strokes weren't sensuous. At one point, I mentioned applying a little more pressure and it became a bit too heavy, so I mentioned to go a little lighter and it went back to the very light one. Before and after that, I kept quiet.

I have found that it's pretty useless to try to "alter" or adjust a masseuse's technique or pressure because that is her personal style. To a certain extent, a massage can be customizable, but not by much if the masseuse's hands prefer stronger and firmer pressure or other techniques.

When I ask for light hands, reception staff always tell me "all" their staff can adjust their pressure, just need to tell them. But that is not true. There are masseuses with light hands, and masseuses with heavy hands. That is based on their personal styles, body weight, hands etc...

Speaking of hands...I have found the shape of the hands to be important in massages. I like long, slender fingers with rounded tips. The hands must be smooth and soft, not broad and rough. By rough, I mean callused or worn hands. However, broad hands that are rough in a Swedish massage like in the cruise, may be another matter...). 

The strokes were their signature styles but with her, they were just strokes in a bland, standard way that held no feeling.

That was $188 and a few cents. But better than the other 2 spa places.

The bathroom is the highlight. I love their showers, toilet and locker area. Classy. This time, because I arrived rather late, I was not led to their waiting area that has the reclining beds and soft music piped into headphones. Went from their refreshment of chilled tea and chilled towel, to the changing room and then the massage room.

The shower and bathroom facilities are unique to The Oriental Spa, so far I know. Not sure if other hotel spas have the same, but the smaller spa places definitely do not, due to space constraints and the cheaper "neighborhood" prices they typically charge. 

One thing though, is that, just like other massage places, the masseuses will just leave you to find your way from the restroom to the massage room. Of course, we lose our way. 

Other than this, the service of the Oriental Spa is perfect. The reception staff always stand when speaking with customers. Even when they are sitting and you pop a head in, they will rise.

According to the reception, their boss is a woman. I had always thought it was a hard man with sensual senses (ever since hearing a masseuse tell me that they are not allowed to wear any kind of hand pads when doing body scrubs because the boss wanted their hands to feel upon the skin). While I didn't appreciate that cruelty, I understood the reason for it.

Apparently, hardness in a woman is also entirely possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank bro. I saw the ad from Sauvignon and I didn't buy it. I feel Lucky now...ha ha anyway thank for sharing

zinepin said...

Glad you found it useful. :)