Thursday 24 November 2011

Aunties of Singapore

Aunties of Singapore (first posted in Fridae blog).
2011-11-24 18:25

Time of this posting: 10.55 p.m.

The heading timing is when I started a sentence and saved it as a draft because going out to dinner.

---------------

5 p.m. Didn't jog much and was about to go uphill when saw sky was very dark, threatening thunder. So, didn't go up and decided to do just another round of a path.

Started to drizzle, but thought it would be Ok. But while jogging up slope, just before finish, started to rain heavier, wetting everything.

So. Ended up running in the rain, then walked back home.

At the void deck, saw the lift was about to open its door. A woman was already waiting there. So, I ran for it.

She asked in English, "What floor?".

I said, "Third, thanks.". But pressed the button myself. Usually, I press it myself, don't wanna trouble the other person.

She had already pressed 5th, I think, the button above mine. (Didn't know what button she pressed until I looked again after coming back from dinner just now.).

Till now, I didn't really look at her.

She stood behind me on my right, and I knew she must be looking at my wet clothes and hair. I was in my grey T and white 3/4 shorts. Totally soaked, though my white jogging shoes were still Ok. So, actually, the rain wasn't that big. I've come home in heavier rain than this.

I ran my left hand up through my short wet hair, feeling a little surprised by the soft smoothness, and heard her say in Chinese, "Hui jia gan kuai chong liang. Hui gan mao.". (Go home quick take a bath. Will catch cold.).

I was thinking why she suddenly changed to speaking Chinese (I look like China, is it? Or maybe she could see I was Singaporean who would understand both languages?).

I turned sideways to look at her. It was an auntie in a green polo T with three yellow initials on its left. The uniform and initials looked familiar. Think she works at the food court downstairs.

She was grimacing at my wet clothes (I assume, or down at my legs), staring without looking up while I looked at her face. I don't quite recall her face...though she looked a little familiar.

(Ahh.. now I think about it while typing this... she works at Vivo Giant?? But...the initials on her polo T... didn't seem to have the word "giant", unless maybe I didn't see clearly and thought it said "y another letter s"?).

"Mm." I agreed, thinking of saying thanks but didn't.

Instead, by way of thanks, I said, "Yes, it rained suddenly.". (which wasn't entirely true since the sky gave prior warning before and during my jog).

She replied in Chinese, "Yes, it's year-end" (in an "of course" tone). Still, not looking at me directly. Strange woman. Maybe, she realized I'm not a kid as she thought?

(Now I think, she was shy that I might recognize her from her cashier role at Giant supermarket.).

The lift arrived, and I got out feeling quite warmed by that auntie. What nice aunties Singapore has. They always sound like mom. They are what makes Singapore special and feel like home.

Aunties, whether in Japan or Singapore, have always been motherly to me. Maybe I look like their daughter--young, harmless and don't know anything.

I smile now, thinking of them.

Aunties are very cute. Singapore aunties can say the funniest things among themselves, or out of good intentions. They have good intentions when they talk to me all of a sudden, sometimes at the supermarket.

They also sometimes do puzzling things. :)

But in general, Singapore aunties are cute.

Dad doesn't like them because he said they hog up small spaces and like to push people. Yes, those are aunties' bad habits.

He told me, once he got so mad with an auntie, he scolded her for pushing him while getting off a bus.

The other bad habit of aunties, is they like to rush for buses.

But we are not here to talk bad things about aunties. :) This piece is about nice aunties in Singapore.

If aunties have also been nice to you, tell us your experience here.

It's because of nice aunties in Japan, that make me miss them and Japan. Their help has been a lot, without which, my journey would have been less enjoyable and more difficult looking for the places I wanted to see.

To all nice aunties on this wet cold night, I wish you happiness and smiles, and that your children treat you well.

Thank you, to all nice aunties. :)

No comments: