Saturday 19 November 2011

I'm A Little Teapot...

9.35 p.m.

My head was singing this song tonight. No reason why. I sang, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout...". That's all I remember of the lyrics.

While it's a little disagreeable to sing "short and stout" since I am not, I still like this song quite much and always think of it.

It was taught to me ... many many years ago. Probably from a nursery tape that mom used to play. From it, I learnt many rhymes.

Another one is ... pitch porridge hot, pitch porridge cold, pitch porridge in the pot nine days old. When I first sang it, my bro was very amused, laughed and thought I made it up. I said it's a legit nursery rhyme that I learnt when young. Didn't make it up.

Checking online now... it is "pease" not "pitch". What the heck is "pease"?

Other sites refer to it as "Peas". Can't seem to find the same version that I heard. It was a fast version without the voice going up or down for "some like it hot", "some like it cold".

When I first heard it and sang it, I always wondered how a 9-days old porridge could still be eaten. Cold porridge even a few minutes/hours cold gives air to the stomach. Can also cause food poisoning.

No comments: