Thursday 15 December 2011

Doc... Something Stuck In My Throat


Tonight, at about 8 or 8.30 p.m., arrived at Tori Q @ Takashimaya with Bro.

Before this:

Warning #1 = A Fridae contact was earlier there and e-mailed me via her phone that Tori Q had a long queue. I thought maybe there wouldn't be a queue by the time I got there in the evening/night.

Also, we had been messaging about porridge. Later, you'll see how strangely premonitory it is when I explain.

Warning #2 = I've been wondering maybe Bro and I should go back to eating at Yayoiken @ Liang Court. But because we've been eating there too often and the food is too salty and expensive on a regular basis, we decided on the cheaper Tori Q tonight.

Warning #3 = While the super slow bus made its way to Taka, I wondered if perhaps we should get off at Clarke Quay for Yayoiken instead.

Warning #4 = When we arrived and queued at Tori Q @ Taka, I saw the burnt chicken and told Bro that maybe we should eat the Teriyaki chicken noodles @ the Ajisen restaurant nearby instead. But he said it's salty. So, we continued queueing.

Despite these 4 warnings, I still ate what I should not have tonight. Next time, must trust my judgement/premonition.

As usual, Bro ordered 2 Set B (all chicken). And we stood at the semi-circular table near the ice-cream shop (opposite the bakery).

Was very hungry and started eating fast as usual. Some of the chicken meat was a little burnt but still Ok. (I try to avoid burnt parts. Tori Q is not my fav).

About halfway through my meal, this man put his food packet on my left, so I made a little space for him. Bro stood on my right and already no space near the trashbin.

But this man had 2 other friends, one of them a woman. This silly woman leant forward tbeside me to eat his fried noodles and it totally stressed me because the space was already small. She wasn't squeezing in, but her presence was very disturbing.

On the left of the man, were 3 women who had just finished eating and were leaving.

Why can't this man and this woman just move more to the left, instead of standing beside me in this small space?

Totally stressed, I ate as fast as I could, hoping to get away asap. I chewed, but apparently it wasn't enough.

I tasted something burnt in my mouth while chewing and assumed it was just a burnt crust and swallowed it.

After that, I just kept eating the rice. As I ate, I felt there was something stuck at the bottom of my throat. But assuming it was just clumped rice, I just continued eating the rest.

When finished, I threw the packet into the bin. Then started walking with Bro to the supermarket.

He said he needed to get water and I agreed that I needed a bottle too. Something seemed lodged in my throat and chest.

I hammered my upper chest with the thumb end of my fist, but it didn't help.

Walking into the supermarket, I told bro to hurry get the water because I was starting to feel a little sick.

He hadn't even paid for it, but asked me to drink first. I drank some, but it didn't seem to wash whatever it was down.

After he queued and paid for the water, the feeling of something stuck down in my throat remained.

My upper chest, in the middle, started to hurt as well.

Weird. What the heck was wrong. It's just a damn Tori Q for heaven's sake. Can't even trust Tori Q to make a decent, safe meal.

I worried if it was a piece of splintered wood from the chopsticks. But I was sure there had been nothing in the rice, and I chewed the meat very carefully before the man came. It was just plain rice and sauce.

But sipping the water, made me feel there was definitely something in there.

Bro suggested I try pushing whatever it was down with a Japanese baked fish-shaped cake. I chose the round Kaya and Cheese flavor.

After chewing and swallowing a bite, it felt like it pushed against something and hurt. But whatever it was, was still down there.

Then I suggested "sliding" it off with some ice-cream, and bought a Raspberry Cheesecake scoop in a cup for $3.80.

The ice-cream slid down, but that was it. Whatever it was, remained.

Bro started looking at the mall directory to see if there was a clinic in the mall. My thought was, if there was... it would be too expensive. His idea was to get an X-ray.

I said let's just go home and go to the clinic there if it's still open. Most likely, it's closed already.

Taka was too crowded anyway, on a weekday night. No point hanging around so many people when I wasn't feeling well.

Better to head home and see what can be done.

We were supposed to get a packet of potato chips but Cold Storage didn't have the brand, so we left.

In the bus, bro said if the clinic was closed, we'll go SGH to get an X-ray. I was kinda reluctant. I don't like SGH.

When the super slow bus reached our place, we got off and sure enough, the clinic was closed.

Bro said another clinic is open and we went in. The 3 counter women were eating and very free. Even the young doc was sitting behind them, wearing a white mouth mask.

The first one asked if I had been there before. I said no, and said something seems stuck in my throat.

She asked for my I/C but before I gave her, I asked if they had an X-ray machine.

She said no, and I elaborated on my problem.

She said clinics don't have X-ray machines, need to go A&E (polyclinics closed). I said I was thinking maybe they had some medication to wash it down or something, but she shook her head. (Bro had said maybe they have some kinda syrup to slide whatever it was down).

I said I was thinking of waiting till tomorrow. But because I mentioned some pain in my upper chest, she said it's better I get it checked at A&E tonight. "You want to wait ah?", she said in a warning tone.

I asked where's the A&E, and she said Alexandra or SGH.

Do I just walk in when I get there? She said yes, and the doc sitting behind them nodded as well.

I'll just look for the department? She said I could take a taxi and tell the driver A&E and he'll drop me directly there.

After that, Bro and I took a bus to Alexandra.

Upon arrival, it was 9.33 p.m.. according to the number slip I got.

After explaining a little to the receptionist, she asked for my I/C to get me registered, then asked for $75 (even before being seen by a doc).

I didn't know it was a "pay first, then see doc". Since when? And why? Afraid the person will walk away after registration? Or walk away after seeing the doc?

According to the plastic standing sign on the receptionist counter, $75 covered consultation, investigative stuff (X-rays etc...) and medication.GST of $5.25 covered by the government.

Compared to the downstairs clinic I went to earlier this year, the doc had charged $80. So $75 was... already ... reasonable.

I was reluctant to get X-rayed partly because I'm concerned they might mess up the dosage. X-ray is supposed to be safe, but what if.

Then, if it turned out to be nothing, I would pay for nothing.

And, I didn't think an X-ray would be cheap. Bro thought it would be something like $40. I said, maybe $100.

So, I had hoped to avoid spending money. Maybe after sleeping the night, I would be fine next morning.

Still, it felt there was something stuck down in my throat and might be getting worse.

We waited a few minutes, and was seen by a young Indian woman, probably still an intern, on the left side of a partitioned, open cubicle.

She asked my name to confirm it with the paper she held, then straight away took out the blood pressure machine pump and wanted to put me into it.

Seeing that, I asked if she knew what was wrong with me, and whether I needed to explain.

She seemed a little displeased and said, yes of course I needed to explain what was wrong.

While explaining, she still plugged me into the blood pressure measuring machine, putting a plastic finger thing on my index finger.

After noting my ailment, she removed the blood pressure stuff and said to wait outside for the doctor to attend to me, and something about getting an X-ray.

I asked if my blood pressure was normal? She said yes.

So... if I had to wait outside for a real doctor to see me, what was she there for? Preliminary checking? Or... weed out those who are not really sick?

We waited for another 10~15 minutes, during which I wasn't sure what I waiting for. The X-ray?

So, I went to ask the receptionist who said yes, wait for the doc to attend to me.

In another 5 mins or so, my number came up again in red on a black LED panel and I headed into the right side of the same open cubicle.

There, the doc had been sitting all along (except when he went off earlier for something and returned shortly).

A young man, with black-rimmed glasses who was very bright and jovial, said my name in a friendly way when he saw me entering.

I sat and explained to him my problem, pointing out the feeling in the middle bottom of my throat and upper chest.

He asked what time did I eat the stuff (same as what the intern had also asked earlier).

I said about 2 hrs ago, dinner time. He nodded. (Why do they ask for the time?).

His diagnosis: He didn't think it was something lodged in there, because things (e.g. fish bone) usually get stuck on the left or right of the throat, not middle.

But then why do I feel this discomfort in my upper chest as well? Where is the connection?

He agreed it needed explanation and could not give an answer as he typed into his computer.

But he was quite certain, it was not something stuck in there, not when it's in the middle of the throat.

He asked whether I was eating very fast.

I said yes.

He nodded with a smile, and said he won't say it's 100% nothing, in case he had to retract it later if proven wrong.

He took out a wooden spatula and a light, asked me to open my mouth, and say "AHhhh...".

He looked in, said "good" and confirmed nothing was stuck in the upper tract.

When he said "Gooood", I couldn't help feeling praised and happy that I did a good job :) Hahaha... even as an adult, I felt like a child being "patted" for good behavior. Good doc rapport with patient.

I said, "Can I don't want X-ray?".

He said it's fine if I don't want it. He still thought it was nothing in there and explained with a round surgical tape roll with a hole it.

"The throat is like this with a hole. It's like a tube. When you push food inside, it widens. It has widened too much and now the muscle is sore.".

He put two fingers of his hands inside the tape roll and demonstrated pulling the hole apart.

I said it's been 2 hours, surely it should have subsided. He said it's like doing 100 push ups, you're bound to feel the effect for a while.

He said if the middle was really lodged by something, I wouldn't even be able to swallow.

Reaching out his hands, he lightly pressed one side of my throat, knowing it would cause no pain, "No pain, right?". I said no. Then he pressed the other side, "No pain, right?". I said no.

But I was still skeptical. Every time I sipped water, I could feel something there. "So you think it's just soreness?".

He said, to confirm, we'll do an X-ray.

"Is it safe?". I asked, already knowing the answer. They always say it's safe.

"It's even safer than taking a plane." he said. "You take plane before?. I nodded. "From where to where?".

"Singapore to Taiwan.", I replied.

"Then don't take plane, is it?". he reasoned.

I kept thinking he meant the X-rays in the air and in space, and didn't know whether he was referring to plane crash.

Well, I was Ok with an X-ray now, since I still felt something was stuck there, and I didn't believe him.

He issued a printout for me to take to the X-ray room.

Just before I went, he asked, "How was the meat ball? Good?".

For a moment, I didn't know what to say as I thought about the taste.

Amused and chuckling, he said, "Worth it, right? If it's good, it's worth it. Worth suffering for it. Hahaha... If it's from a street stall,", he grimaced, "then not worth it.".

I was... well, that's the strangest thing I've ever heard a doc say. :)

I said, "Nooo, I'm not going to eat Tori Q again.".

Then he said he'll see me later after the X-ray.

His name was on the printout.

The X-ray room had 1 woman and 1 man, and they were polite and friendly, even though foreigners.

The man showed me to a small room to change into their blue gown, and a few lockers for putting clothes.

After the X-ray, Bro and I waited a while more, before my number was called again and we went back to the doc.

I said, "So, were you right?".

He showed me the X-ray of my throat on his computer screen.

It's always funny seeing your own X-ray of your inside. It's like it's not mine. Are you sure that's me?

Well, it looked like mine, taken from the jaw down sideways. I could see what looked like my throat vertically, and the vertebrae.

He pointed out the column of throat and said, "Nice and clear airway.".

"Nothing there?" I asked.

"Nothing. Nice and clear. See.".

But... I still felt something there. "So weird," I said, and he nodded, as if agreeing the human body could be weird like that.

"How about my chest?". I asked.

"Chest is also fine.", So saying, he opened the file for that X-ray on his computer. "See, nice and clear.".

I was truly perplexed. Not that I wanted something there. I was afraid there would be something that would require a tube to suck it out, or a pair of tongs like what Bro said...

"What's that big thing?".

"That's your heart.". he said. "Big heart, good good.".

He continued, "This is air bubble in your stomach."

I saw a strange, dark, horizontal, triangular shape in the upper right part of a white thing, and grew concerned thinking it was causing indigestion.

He assured me, "It's meant to be there. If it wasn't, I would be worried.". Right away, I was thinking if I were an alien, it wouldn't be there.

Why would the stomach have an air pocket? What's it for?

Anyway, the X-ray proved there was nothing in there, even though I felt most definitely there was. So weird.

I said, "So, I just need to relax and I'll be fine tomorrow? No need to take anything for it?".

He said, "Tomorrow, you'll be better."--emphasis on "better", rather than "fine"--and advised to take soft food, like soup or porridge that's slippery and slides easily down the throat, at least for a few days.

It's that bad? A few days?

He felt it was bad enough.

"I'll give you some muscle relaxant to ease it."

"Any side-effects?", I asked, adding that I have gastric and asked whether the medication will cause it.

"No, nice and safe, nice and safe. Only a relaxant.".

Mm. Ok. I said, "Thanks, thanks" and left to get the medication at the pharmacy with another printout from him.

Bro later said when we were on the way to the bus-stop home, "That's the strangest doc I've ever seen.".

Yeah.. I have to agree. :) But, also a doc whose joviality puts people at ease, calming them so that an ailment is not so fearful.

I feel this is a good doctor, even if he's not genuinely warm or personal. I know he's trying to hold the fort for the patient, in a way, and that's admirable in a place where other doctors just don't care and can say the most horrible things to a patient.

We were at A&E for about 1 hr. By the time we left, it was around 11. p.m.

At the moment, even the air released from my throat hurts like there's something down there. I'll try to sip water later.

His relaxant seems to work after an hour after taking a white tablet. Supposed to take 2 tablets, but I took 1 in case there is side-effect.

I can't help imagining that it would cause my muscles to relax until I melt on the sofa.

Bro also made the astute comment that by saving money to eat Tori Q instead of at Yayoiken restaurant (where we would have spent around $40), we ended up spending even more at $75.

Lessons learnt :

#1 = never stand and eat. Need chair and table. (I don't want to eat Tori Q again). Just as what grandpa and dad used to say when they saw me standing and eating. They always told me to sit down.

#2 = always heed gut feeling/premonition.

#3 = water must go with food

#4 = Bro said I shoved the food in my mouth without chewing. Never wolf down food. Eat slowly. CHEW.

I still think it's all because of that man and the silly woman. Had it not been for them, I wouldn't have hurried with my food. *pouts*

As for a "big heart", I wasn't sure if the doc was kidding, as in big-hearted generosity. Or was the comment based on something medical?

Bro said maybe because it's big, that's why I have been able to exercise despite my anemia. A bigger heart is more powerful (his theory).

This year, I don't know what Chinese Zodiac sign it is... just a thought, I asked Bro and he didn't know also.

Tiger?

This year, I went to doctors 3 times. One for food poisoning early this year, one for gastric recently, both times the doctors discovered something else.

And now another for suspected food stuck in throat.

There was a 4th doc but that was a referral from the 2nd doc, so not counted.

Not an entirely good year.

Update: Today Thurs 15 Dec

Bottom of the throat still hurts after eating.But less like there is something stuck there. It feels more like a soreness now.

I ate Japanese rice for dinner with a little food. I ate slowly and carefully this time.

Wanted to order the Udon to slide down the throat, but wanted more to eat the egg plant miso dish with rice.

The doc was right that the next day (today), I'd feel better (not "fine" as I thought). He also said it'll take a few days to heal... so I hope tomorrow will be better than today.

I stopped taking the muscle relaxant because I found it does have 1 minor side-effect (woman's problem).

No comments: