Tuesday 27 December 2011

Tom Cruise (Ghost Protocol Mission Impossible), Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F SG store Orchard Road)


1) Just back from watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Tom Cruise has aged a lot. I still miss him as the vampire Lestat in Interview With a Vampire (with Brad Pitt).

So handsome back then. Eyes so ice blue, face so pale... hands so long and elegant... teeth so cold. *faint smile* Sad, lonely, sexy, handsome, beautiful vampire.

At that time, Kristen Dunst was still a newbie and this movie made her famous. She was only a young girl then, playing a living doll, long blond tresses... can't recall the name of the role she played. But so lucky to be playing beside 2 of the handsomest and sexiest guys at such a young age.

Mission Impossible.... good overall. Still maintained the standard even after the first few movies. So, that's good.

Movies like Pirates of the C are really bad: first one good, second one not so good and last one horrid. (brings to mind Bro's opinion on Matrix as well).

Tom Cruise needs a rest. Needs a sleep. He looks haggard, not just due to his age, but... he has really pushed it to the limit.

He is fit, but it's visible that his body has aged. In one scene where he is without a shirt, standing on a ledge outside the window, he looked like other older men, the top bigger than the lower body (not due to muscles or workout).

Don't know why that happens when Hollywood men get older. Happened to Sean Connery as well.

Tom Cruise has lost much of his physical magnetism and attractiveness. But the movie is still good, because ... it makes sense and the action is very tight and rivetting, edge of the seat exciting and you really feel the adrenalin, especially the height at 130 storeys in Dubai.

Quite a few people in the cinema audience expressed their fear and concern when "looking down" at that height. The vertigo made my hands and feet sweat.

Imagine having to climb up further, outside the window, on the window pane, on nothing except a pair of gizmo gloves that haven't been tested, your arms and normal shoes.

That's what Ethan Hunt (Cruise's character) did to get into a room upstairs, on the outside, with a time limit of some minutes. With his hands not even sweating.

"Blue is glue, red is dead.", said the computer guy who provides the gloves that look suspiciously flimsy and floppy.

So, the guys cut out the window and Ethan goes outside and starts walking on vertical glass.

What happens when while climbing, the blue light on the right glove starts suddenly blinking for no reason? Then suddenly turns red? And ultimately, even the left glove fails just when Ethan managed to get into the room?

The only thing lacking, is a label that says, "Made in China". Never depend your life on things made there.

Of course, they can't put that label, unless they want China to make noise.

But we all know why the gloves failed, and where it came from. So putting a label is actually not necessary. The gloves speak for themselves.

I miss Tom Cruise's beauty. Age is a cruel thing. I fully sympathize and still want him to tuck me into bed with a goodnight kiss. That's what I said to the companion accompanying me today. But she didn't think it was a good idea.

He's still handsome, just not as handsome. :) I said after he takes a nice nap, he should be looking good again. My companion doubted it. I said all he needs is a good sleep, and he'll be fresh and look rejuvenated.

Sleep does wonders.

The other cool effect, besides the excitement of the gloves, is... the moving screen with a very cool gizmo that follows the view's eyes. So, the viewer sees the same image at the same distance, even though in fact, the screen (and the guys behind it) are moving closer and closer.

Notice it is "viewer", singular.

The gizmo only works its magic on one person's visual perception. More than 1 person and the gizmo starts adjusting to different viewpoints, with the result that the image starts "jumping", thereby exposing itself.

It's a very believable technology that is believable to be available now because of this limitation.

Crusie produced this movie, and I think he grounded it more realistically to present time in this way, instead of some futuristic gizmos that are way too incredible.

A nuclear threat is also very real. And it's realistic to hear the cover-ups in the "news reports" in the movie. A nuclear warhead that knocks off a side of a building is described as a meteor that fell in the day time. A major detonation at the Kremblin is described as problem with gas pipes under the building.

Ghost Protocol is nice, but it made me miss Lestat more. I might have to see Interview With A Vampire again, to see Cruise's beauty once more.

~~~~~~

2) Speaking of beauty... Before the movie began, my companion and I dropped by the newly opened A&F store. :)

Last night while looking for a A&F jacket in the official website, I was surprised by the high prices. I didn't know A&F was so expensive.

At Taiwan websites, a A&F furry jacket costs much much less.

While Googling, I saw the publicity about the A&F store in SG.

A giant poster that I've been admiring every time I saw it at the crossroads at Orchard Road has been labelled "Too Sexy". And the authorities wanted it removed.


Of course, I'm not the only one who feels the poster is so beautiful, and someone went even further than me to say:

"Yes, we should complain. How can you tease us like that with the pants slung so low and offer nothing else? Not even a strip of fuzz? It's indecent of A&F to leave their ads like that. COMPLAIN!"

Indeed. My sentiments exactly! Bravo.

I never thought of the fuzz until I read what this person said.

Actually, come to think, where is the fuzz at such a low... position?

Unfortunately, I think it's been shaved off.

The poster makes/made me want to pull down the pants...for more.

Then there was another Google result on "shirtless greeters". I didn't read that one, but saw a photo of a row of shirtless guys standing in a line. Apparently, that's a publicity for the store's opening.

The companion with me today, informed that they were there before the store's opening, and the fact that they are no longer posed outside, means the store has already opened (since I asked if the store was already open).

According to the Google result, the store is supposed to open this month.

I saw 2 guys in blue Ts, jeans and sandals on either side of the store's entrance. Just normal-looking guys.

Upon entering, naked guy on my right. Ok, shirtless with just jeans. Now, I wasn't paying attention if he wore any footwear... so interested was I in his ... upper body.

He had a nice front body, not too much gym, just nice. Very tight abs, but not 6 packs. Very tight, lean, smooth, perfect skin that made me want to touch his stomach.

His chest was most prominent, protruding with some muscle.

I looked at his body first, then up to his face. Hmm... Ok face. Not very handsome, but Ok, goes with his body.

European face? American? Australian? Light brown, very short, neat haircut. Nice smile and eyes.

(I know it's hard to get both beautiful body and face to match. A&F are doing their best, I know).

I guess I wasn't being polite in looking like that. It seemed he looked a little embarrassed and looked down.

Well, forgive me for looking at him like he was a piece of...meat.

He had put himself on display after all. (Doesn't he feel cold, standing in the air-con store? Does he need something to cover his chest?).

How much are they paying him, anyway?

He was taller than average, so... most of the shoppers entering the store were definitely shorter than him.

Later, I saw a lady stand beside him and he put his arm around her, for photo-taking by another lady. Tourists.

So... I was thinking... Could I... ask him if I could touch him? I have the urge to poke him with my fingertip on his ab, just to feel if he's real. And.. if possible, run my hand down his abs.... :) Can?

Later on the way out, I walked nearer to him, to look more closely, and again he seemed embarrassed and looked down. I don't know if it was because he noticed I was looking. There were many people walking in and out of there.

From the side, he actually has a curved back. So, it's only the front that's nice. I mentioned it to my companion and she agreed he looked hunched. Later, when I got back, I told my bro that it might be because he didn't watch his back while gym-ing with weights.

Due to these weights, his back curved forwards. Either that, or... he has been carrying a sling bag or school bag that's been too heavy for him for years.

Bro thinks it's bad posture during sitting... But I said I don't think his type sits much.

I don't know. Maybe during his school years, he modelled part-time...

Whatever it is, I now regret not having asked him if I could touch him.

My companion said touching would be sexual harrassment. But I said, I'm asking for his permission, not just touching. So... it's not sexual harrassment.

Makes me consider going back one of these days to ask...

That aside, there are a few problems with the store. Their concept is good, but as a gay club or night club, the store would be classy.

A night club like Attica don't even look half as good.

#1 = Decor and ambience too dark. Lighting poor. Makes it difficult to see the merchandise on display. A black skirt when lifted up... I could hardly see the design. The yellow lights do not help because of the glare and reflection.

#2 = Mirrors are dangerous in the darkness. Due to the small size of the store and connecting passages with large showcases between, and confusing darkness and lights, it is possible to walk into one of the mirrors.

This is a safety issue the store needs to seriously amend/consider.

#3 = The stairs have lit steps, but due to the poor lighting overall, the staircase is unsafe. Have to walk carefully and slowly and hold onto the handrails.

#4 = This is a store, not a museum. There shouldn't be so many glass showcases with the merchandise inside as if it's a showcase of museum artefacts.

The showcases also take up a lot of walking space. The store is small enough without such large display cases that are dangerous due to the lighting conditions.

#5 = Lighting is very poorly done. Doesn't enhance the merchandise at all, but directs away from the items instead. A person does not know where to look and it's actually quite discouraging with the bad coordination of shadows, light and darkness.

#6 = There are actually very few items in the store, with the same design. Not a variety of styles. Just the A&F logo on every piece of item that looks about the same as another.

For the sort of prices charged, it's not very attractive (which would explain why before I went in, I saw customers walking out without buying anything. I'm guessing now this is partly due to the bad lighting.).

#7 = Perfume in the store. My companion liked the perfume fragrance they used in the store, so I asked a guy. And he was very friendly, said it's "Fierce" that can be found at the bar counter downstairs.

Perfume is like putting music on a website. Personal taste is very subjective. By putting a masculine fragrance for the entire store, it can drive away some people who don't like the scent. Personally, I don't like it and would prefer they left it unscented.
 
I said to my companion, "Why would anyone want to wear a perfume called "fierce" when they should wear one called "sexy"?".


Overall, the decor and lighting aren't conducive to making people want to buy, because the concept they created is more of a museum quality, look and touch, rather than buy.

The store would be perfect as a club, or night-spot to hang out and be seen.

The staircase makes a perfect entrance or exit for any hot/young/sexy man/woman in the club. In fact, I'd rather it were a classy gay club or classy unisex club. It's very sexy.

With all the guys hanging around and the merchandise designs catering more to guys, I guess A&F is more of a guy thing. I didn't know that until checking out their store today.

On the plus side, the store's staff (a lady who asked my companion if she needed any help with getting the right size, and the guy whom I asked about the store's perfume) were polite and good.
(Before that, checked out H&M, which loses to Pull & Bear in terms of classy outfits and designs. H&M was a disappointment, yet people were buying. Prices affordable but very bad-looking clothes.).

4 comments:

Traveller said...

You write very well!

Funny re: you wanting to touch that shirtless guy in A&F. If most young women who visited felt that way, I guess their campaign paid off. If only they reversed the sexes, I wouldn't mind one little bit. :)

Re: Tom Cruise, yup sad. Felt that way even when watching MI3. Remember him from the Top Gun days.

zinepin said...

:) Glad you enjoyed reading. Yeahhh... I really wished to have touched his abs. Feel what it feels like.

Yeah, I think there were more women than men in that store.

Odd that while the publicity is appealing to women, the designs and number of items they sell, are more for men.

Well, I was thinking they should include some sexy, hot ladies as well in the store... (standing in just lingerie?). :)

They do have a few female staff but it's the guys that catch attention.

Mm... Maybe I should watch Top Gun. I haven't seen his really early movies.

Traveller said...

Ha, ha! I hope store management everywhere is reading your blog. Wish you a Happy and Fun 2012!

Re: targeting women, that actually is a valid strategy - women do buy their men gifts don't they?

Victoria's Secret in the US pretty much targets male audiences for their lingerie collection ads. And not because more men are cross-dressing secretly. :)

zinepin said...

Happy New Year to you too. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean. Women do buy for men.

Didn't know US VS ads target men. But I'm guessing they are ads where wearing the lingerie will turn on your man etc...

So, the women will buy the lingerie for the effect, and the ads are still targeting women.

Unless, the ads are targeting men to buy their women VS lingerie...

I think I need to see US VS ads...