Monday 9 December 2013

Little India Singapore: Yeah, blame it all on the Alcohol scapegoat


Update 17 Dec Tues:  Out of 400 in the riot, "will only proceed on charges for 28".  The rest are free (or can't even be caught). Meaning, they can always do it again.  The penalty at most, is just don't step foot in Singapore again. The message sent is that we need them so much that a little riot like that is fine. Go ahead and continue working. If I were them, I would do it again. It's fun to let out some steam and then go back to work after. Get to do what Singaporeans can't (or dare not).

Meanwhile, one man will face "five years in jail plus flogging" just for bringing a sword on an MRT train while in "samurai" attire (even though it's just a lower Japanese skirt on top of a T-shirt).

And a "drunk" man got off with hitting 3 Singaporean women on Circular Road.  No charges, no penalty.

------------------------

Some years ago when I went there for the first time with my family, I already felt it was unsafe. Masses of Indians who didn't look like Singaporeans in one location. I felt as if I was in India instead of Singapore. It was so bad I was very irritated that my folks had chosen to go there and I wanted to get out ASAP.

When we were at Mustafa and they wanted me to deposit my backpack, it pissed me off.  I said why should I deposit my backpack?

I felt this was very different from the usual practice in Singapore. I mean this is Singapore not India. Which shopping center or mall requires deposit of handbags and backpacks? It's ridiculous!

Worse still, Mustafa cable-tied all shopping bags right after purchase. Why? Afraid customers would steal? What an insult.

The fact that they have to do that reflects badly on their own people. Implying that their people are thieves, not to be trusted not to steal in a shopping mall. -.- It's ridiculous.  I can only think that this is the case in India, that's why the practice is also applied to  Singapore.

Plus, the Indians (or India Indians) would cluster at the tiny single-file elevators, with no sense that they were completely blocking the way.   My bro says they like to  "cluster f**k".  

Since then, I have never gone back there. I don't know why Chinese Singaporeans go to Mustafa when there are so many classier and more respectable malls in SG with greater variety of items.

In this video below, even a local Indian (young guy) says he would advise his friends to avoid Little India. At night, there are fights and he's heard of molest cases. He emphasized that it is not safe. To think he is saying that about a place in Singapore. I can't quite believe it. It's like he's talking about another place.  The "authorities" have certainly kept a very good lid on this matter. This is the first time I am hearing about fights and disturbances there.

(aftermath of the riot)
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/video/shopkeepers-residents-express-shock-wake-113041787.html

(below)Update: Tues 10:53 pm

Are they reading from a script? Paid to say? The bespectacled guy who said everything is good in SG, is because he is earning well here. 15 years taking up our space, eh. No NS, no childhood here. Just money even though English no good. How nice.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-charge-24-indian-workers-rioting-044957734.html

(below) Update: 12:55pm 13 Dec Fri:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/it-s-a-%E2%80%98who-dares-wins-situation---ex-singapore-riot-police-officer-095039613.html

That's what I was saying! Where was their tear gas?? I think they didn't have any.
Precisely! I was thinking how did so many get injured? How did their police cars even get overturned? Because they are softies, sit around too much with nothing to practice on. They are all young men in a peaceful time.
The riot wasn't even a full course one. Had the rioters been really serious, it would be been total chaos. The police and anti-riot forces took 2 hrs (more than that I would say) just getting it under control.

Look at this old 1960s photo: The men were so fit! So tight their bodies and solid. Handsome.  These are warriors.   The ex-police officer said they did "everything" from traffic policing to coastal patrolling and controlling riots.  That was a police officer. Amazing. Click to enlarge.



No comments: