Tuesday 28 February 2012

Eyeline Australia Swimming/Swim/Racing Goggles (Racing Star Smoke)



http://www.eyeline.com.au/

Look what just came in the mailbox (yesterday evening). From Australia, only AU$5.45. Shipping AU$9. Total:  AU$14.45 (SGD 19.89)

Order processed on 13 Feb, payment deducted 16 Feb from bank a/c.
Arrived in mailbox on 27 Feb. Waited 12~14 days.

Previously, I had ordered from the company before in 2009 and it was as good, except for the price. The goggles were cheaper @ AU$4.70. Shipping was AU$6.75. Total was AU$11.45.

Both times, no tracking number, but it's just a pair of inexpensive goggles, so it's fine.

Previously, I was also unable to check the status/progress of my order after payment, and had to e-mail them. At that time, Eyeline had someone who replied.

This time, when I asked, nobody replied. Couldn't find an e-mail and didn't see the little clickable "Email eyeline" at the bottom of the page (that now I see). So, I sent enquiry using the invoice receipt that was e-mailed to me when I placed the order.

I had guessed the invoice was automated and my enquiry shouldn't be sent there, but since I didn't see an e-mail at their website, no choice. The invoice e-mail was different from the one I used to communicate with Eyeline back in 2009.

In 2009, it was a customer service e-mail, and I received fast and good reply from a representative. So, I was wondering where that e-mail was at their website this time.

I can't recall why I was unable to check progress of my order back then. But this time I couldn't do it because I had forgotten my password. I had signed up a new account this time, because I couldn't recall the username and password of the previous one.

Oddly, this time I was also unsure what's my username to enter into their log-in page.

So, I clicked  "Forgot password?" and had the reset password link sent to my e-mail (yes, I remember the e-mail that I used to sign up. If this also forget, then finish liao.).

Clicking on that link allowed me to put in a new password. But the result was "Access Denied.
You do not have permission to view this content.".

So, that's why I couldn't check my account to see the progress of my order.

Their service and shipping are so excellent, I wish they had better swimsuits to buy from. But their items are very few and poor, compared to Speedo or other websites. So, I only go for their goggles and only the same one that I always buy and have always bought since many years ago when it was still selling at Metro Marina Square for only $6.

Back then, the last time I saw Eyeline googles in Singapore, was at Metro  Marina Square. After that, the brand completely disappeared.

Now only Speedo is selling at sporting stores. A pity because this Eyeline googles is the original, traditional version with the 3 plastic adjustable ridges for nose strap. The nose strap design is very basic, very functional and very perfect.

Speedo's string version (rope and tube nose bridge) seems perfect because it can be customized for any nose width, but it's really very bad, very poor design. I don't see how competitive swimmers can use this. (Speed Demon design description says it's "A long time favorite with competitive swimmers".).

First, the string cannot possibly last long. Second, it's very difficult to adjust. Third, it doesn't hold well in the water.

Eyeline seems to be the only brand still selling the original nose strap, and racing goggles without any rubber/silicon rims/seal (No seal racing goggles).

I'm thinking if I should buy another to store up. Concerned the rubber strap might deteriorate in our weather/humidity if stored too long without use, but...what if Eyeline one day decides not to sell it anymore? Maybe I should buy an entire box load.

They do line/coat the rubber straps with a film of non-sticking/protective powder. So, I'm thinking it should be Ok to store for long-term. Back when I bought at Metro Marina Square, I think I bought 2 pairs and kept one without damage (none that I can recall).

I've given up trying to order a Speedo swimsuit online. The difficulty of finding a reliable US shop that will ship out, and the negative reviews from buyers for the designs I was thinking of getting... I decided not to get.

I don't want to buy from Amazon. They don't have the designs I want, their shipping and handling are very expensive if I'm buying them on my own, and I could go through a local spree but I don't want to wait weeks/months to get it.

Local spree for Amazon is very sloww... My order for 5 paperbacks was placed on 14 Feb, yet hasn't even been shipped out. Guessing we are waiting for other people's orders to be fulfilled by the different merchants before shipment can fly.

So, I've ordered a swimsuit from Korea. Very beautiful design, very unique, never before seen in Singapore. Also surprisingly, a Speedo.

Shipping will be fast since I've a handle on it.

I don't know if it's genuine Speedo or pirated. Logo across the chest and on the side, just like a regular Speedo.

If it's not an authentic Speedo, why would Speedo allow Korea to sell these swimsuits?

Korea's Speedo has so many beautiful and unique designs as compared to US. The swimsuits are like works of art. It's amazing. Mine is like the Sistine Chapel ceiling art by Michelangelo, with cute cherubs.

If it's not a Speedo, I'll know when it arrives. The fabric and sewing close-ups look fine at the website. So, I think it's genuine Speedo.

Below pics:  This is the Racing Star-Smoke. I just clicked to buy this and didn't check out the other 2 colors in the website.

In the past when it was still selling in Singapore,  this design also came in blue (deeper blue, not Aqua) and transparent/clear, both of which I tried. It was impossible to wear the transparent because it didn't cut out the glare or UV when swimming on a hot sunny day (that I used to do back then).

The blue was better, but the black was the best. So, I've stuck with black since then.

Looking at the website now @ 12.08am, the Racing Star-Smoke is the only design with the "regular slotted nose bridge".  It's also the cheapest. http://www.eyeline.com.au/Shop/Search.aspx?cid=18

For the Raider series and Speed Demon (yellow and metallised), they come with rubber seals that are removable--"Unique feature allows use of goggle with or without seals"--and "3 sized nose pieces".

I think it's clumsy to have 3 nose pieces when 1 with 3 slots would do nicely. The purple looks very nice, though. If I buy it, I'll remove the rims/seals. But then, it costs $18.75.

The Speed Demon comes in very beautiful colors (green, red, turquoise, purple...) but all with the string-nose-tube design. A pity a regular slotted nose bridge cannot be used instead (the holes at the lenses only allows string to pass through).







Below: You can see the nose-strap at the bottom, with its 3 ridges on each side. The triangle label on the top right says "UV Protection Against Ultra-Violet Rays". For only AU$5.45, that's pretty amazing.

The eye rims do not have any rubber or silicon. Before buying it for the first time in the past,  I was concerned that it might hurt. But this is The Best design ever. I've swum with it for years. It provides comfortable and excellent fit around the eyes. The plastic is rounded, so it doesn't hurt at all.

The clear sides, without any angles or anything,  also provide excellent views around the periphery, so I can see other swimmers to the left and right of me. Thereby, fulfilling its namesake as a racing goggle.

For recreational swimming, the clear sides--unlike other goggles with faceted angles or rubber/silicon--are a safety feature. Gives a clear, unobstructed view of other swimmers around me, or if a swimmer suddenly cuts in the way etc...


Also, Anti-fog:



No comments: