Tuesday 7 February 2012

Tease & Flirt @ Firefly Saturday 4 Feb (Singapore Clubbing)

(First posted in Fridae)

Firefly on Sat 4 Feb
2012-02-07 00:27

Fridae came back on after maintenance... but still looks the same. Thought was going to be upgrade? Revamp like Trevvy?

Well, the same is better than doing something new that doesn't work (like Trevvy).

What did Fridae do during these 2 days of maintenance? I still have to refresh the page so many times just to get the blog posting area to display properly in order to post.

And still having problems connecting to the site. Where is their server based in anyway?

------------

Firefly @ Mariott basement on Sat 4 Feb. Was an event where party-goers were given finger lights with each color denoting a different meaning. Very cool, sexy, fun idea.

Which was why I was interested this time, when receiving the Herstory e-mail about this event.

Usually, I just delete Herstory e-mails, but the theme this time was interesting enough to make me consider going (except I didn't have anyone to go with).

"Herstory Tease & Flirt: All Grrls Party @ Firefly 4 Feb 2012 (Saturday).

We all know February is the month of love. And to celebrate...

Herstory is bringing back the Tease & Flirt party we’ll willingly queue up for. Don’t remember what happened last year? Well, you wore your single status on your sleeve with a chosen light stick, downed too many stiff drinks and walked up to the sexy little thing who caught your eye – no need to say the rest. Aren’t you just excited that we’re doing this all over again? With a smashing, smouldering crowd; Gia, your favourite crowd-pleasers and DJ Victor’s killer tunes, no less.

Upon entry, you'll receive a LED Laser Finger Lights that is coded with the colour that best represents you!

BLUE: Single and Available!

GREEN: Predator on the Lookout!

RED: Tease with caution!

WHITE: Anything goes!

NONE: Oops I'm taken!

Grrls, Booze, Wicked Music, Dance Grooves. Enjoy a merry time @Firefly for Herstory Monthly Saturday Grrls Party.

**Make your table reservations early to avoid disappointment**

FREE ENTRY for students 19-23yrs before 10pm (Must show student pass)
FREE ENTRY for air crew before 11pm (Must show crew pass)
FREE ENTRY for Birthday Grrls all night long. (Celebrate your birthday during Herstory party and sign in 2 guests for FREE)
FREE LED Laser Finger Lights for all *While stocks last

Please email party@herstory.ws for table reservations and birthday celebrations."


Look at those color codes. :) Aren't they fun?

I was deciding between Blue & Green. As it turned out during the party, very few people wore more than 1 color on their fingertips (excluding the waiters who wore 3).

In fact...very few people actually turned on their finger lights, even though at the door, they were asked what colors they wanted and were given those lights.

Though the women came in pairs or in groups, I doubt All of them were taken.

So, it was quite a mystery why so many lights weren't turned on.

To begin at the beginning...

After receiving the e-mail and wondering about going, it became doubtful I'd be going since I doubted there would be anybody to go with, and I was too uncertain and lazy to go alone.

There was however, 1 possible chance of an accompanying companion...if she read my message in time here on Fridae.

On Friday, I sent message, just a thought whether we might go together to the event and doubtful she would read it in time. There have been quite big spacings of days in our replies so far.

However, on Saturday (the day itself), she replied. :)

I gave her my number since there wouldn't be much time till the event, and I might be going out to Takashimaya.

Even then, I wondered if I would actually be at Firefly that night since various possibilities could happen. Who knows. I've since learnt to not get my hopes up for a lot of things.

After a much needed nap, I left late for Taka, wanting to buy some groceries with my bro. (The nap was not planned, but I was just too tired/sleepy).

I was thinking of meeting my companion at Mariott at 9.30~10pm (was hoping to get the finger lights "while stocks last").

Also, I planned to leave the club before midnight to catch public transport. So... the later we met, the less time we would have to stay and watch, although from first-time experience at Attica, I knew 9.30~10pm was rather early for clubbing/clubbers who would only start getting in near or past midnight.

But no choice if I wanted to catch public transport.

On the other hand, my companion was planning (?) on a later time...and would not be there until past 10 pm.

Arriving at Taka, amazingly, the mall was going to close at 9.30pm, leaving just a few minutes of browsing at the supermarket and Watsons before the entire place just shuttered up.

Ah... that was too early since I wouldn't be meeting my newfound acquaintance till 10.30pm.

Somehow bro and I hung around, and then walked down to the Mariott where there didn't seem to be a basement inside or outside, and no directions to "Firefly".

Odd.

Had to ask the cafe waiter/lobby man at the Mariott lobby. He said to go past the lobby, see the exit sign and turn left.

He had to say that twice because ... I repeated after him and he repeated.

So then... Bro and I found the place.

It was not at basement level at all, but at the side of the building with a sign in faded orange-red "Firefly".

A few Indian men in suits sat around outside (doormen) with a few people leaning along the wall making me think it was a queue.

I said to my bro that the place looked seedy. (Like some Chinatown night spot with underground things going on inside).

One uncle holding the hand of a younger woman swept in. Now, why would an uncle be going to this event?

I followed, with my bro hanging rather reluctantly behind. Standing outside, I saw the uncle looking at the "menu" in a glass stand inside.

That seemed normal enough. To make things less seedy than it looked, I told my bro that the uncle was looking at the "menu" (implying we could also do the same).

So I entered, with the doormen glancing at me as I passed.

Bro followed. And we stood in front of the "menu" while the uncle went downstairs with his girlfriend/mistress to Firefly.

The menu turned out to be a programme list of what's up at the club for the night.

That was also when the uncle came back up the stairs with the younger woman and left.

So it seemed he had discovered what this event was about and felt it wasn't to his taste?

Bro and I also left to go back to the lobby (to wait for my companion). I said I'd check out the club downstairs later.

Along the way, I saw older women in very casual, non-clubbing attire heading to the club... (example, a woman in a flowing tube dress).

Strange.

In the lobby restroom, I saw aunties. Also attending the event?? Or more likely in for cheap alcohol and cheap entrance fee?

While joining the end of the 3-women queue for available cubicles, I was rather attracted to a woman in a black collared shirt, jeans and black belt waiting in front of me.

Short-cropped hair, hard narrow face, rather masculine height and slim physique with a little love handles (fat) on either side above the jeans.

Must be one of those masculine-styled women attending the event. But.. she was an older woman compared to the usual younger types, and her face was hard with some of that age showing (despite her short hair). A little of the auntie look already.

She suddenly turned and noticed me standing behind her, as we waited.

Then she did something strange:

For a moment, she sidestepped to the left, as if wanting to let me go first? Or...?

I didn't get what she was doing, but then she went ahead to a cubicle that just opened, and by her clicking heels, I noticed her shoes were black and flat-heeled like a man's.

(Incidentally, I didn't see her or any of the aunties in the club when I finally went in).

At the lobby, bro and I sat in the cafe sofas while waiting. Bro was afraid the waiter/lobby man would ask us to leave. I said, "That's why I'm reading the menu".

Or rather, pretending to read it.

I said even if the waiter asked us to leave, I believe he would do so nicely, since this is a 5 or 6-star hotel. No problem if he should say we couldn't sit here.

Looking around while waiting, I saw a ... pink and collared shirt pudding with glasses walking by.

Made me smile. I told my bro, "This pudding is also going to the event?".

I was sure she was going to the event since she looked the sort. The type who dresses in the masculine style: typical shirt, jeans and short hair.

Except... Rounded, bouncy...pudding.

Around 10.40 pm, my acquaintance arrived in the lobby area.

Although there were a few people walking in and out, her entrance was quite unmistakable (though we've never met).

Bro said, "That one, is it? With the phone in her hand.". He was speaking a little too loudly to catch her attention since she was walking away. It alarmed me because I'd rather just meet her on my own, without my bro being seen.

I had seen her, but turned to look again. Then said to my bro that he could leave with the groceries (so I could meet with her).

Bro and I had earlier decided that he would walk with me to Mariott and then leave once my acquaintance arrived.

I had told bro it was an all-girls party, with men as guests, but didn't mention it was a gay women's event...

I had said if he wanted, he could come along, just pay more, but at the thought of having to pay for what he wasn't interested in, he said "don't want" (as I knew).

Yet I was making rather obvious comments about the event and the women, so I don't know if he knew what kind of event it was. At the end when I came home, I even said my finger light color means "single and available" and he still didn't comment.

---------

Mm...first of all, thanks to my companion for taking a cab down to meet with me, just to be at Firefly.

As we went down the stairs where the party was...

I heard heavy music bass blasting up, making me reluctant to continue. Since my acquaintance had been in there once before, I asked if the $10 was worth paying.

Upon reaching the bottom of the steps facing the club's entrance, I hung back at the side while the counter staff took entrance fees from those entering and stamped the underside of the forearms of a group of girls.

At such times, the most irrational indecisiveness and anxiety will seize me.

I'll hang outside a club instead of going in (even though I came with the intention of entering), wondering if paying the entrance fee is worth it (or if I should save it and go home).

Going to clubs/bars actually gives me quite a lot of stress/anxiety before entering. I would feel great uncertainty and indecisiveness...Neither able to go in nor leave.

While others casually, excitedly and happily just stroll in, I seem unable to. My feet seem rooted to the ground outside, and I just can't seem to cross that threshold.

The louder the music I hear coming from inside, the worse. It gives me even more of an excuse not to go in (on account of the music being too deafening, and I still want my hearing).

Yet, I came to the place wanting to go in and have fun.

It's a very... difficult dilemma that can be quite a torture whenever I'm outside a nightclub/bar. I could hang around outside for several long minutes trying to decide whether to go in (and in the end walking away).

It's like a person is afraid of water, so he/she stands at the pool's edge looking down at the beckoning water, but can't go in.

Afraid. Yeah, I think that's it.

Fear of what's inside that dark place. Afraid of what exactly...I actually don't know. It's a barrier feeling.

I guess because it's been ingrained to me since young what such places are like, what kinds of people are there etc...

It's very hard for me to think of such places as just for "fun" especially when I've also read reports of drunken fights, bad behavior etc...

At the same time, I'm curious and want to see, want to be a part of.

If there's sex being performed live in there... that would be interesting. :)

If someone were to pick me up, or give me her number, that would be interesting.

If ladies started dancing naked or in their lingerie, that would also be
interesting.

(Later, I saw one short girl-guy putting her arms straight on the shoulders of another, swaying their hips with loving feeling to the music. Unfortunately, not sexy and I looked away.).

The possibilities that I wonder about and would like to see for real happening, seduces me.

At the entrance, pink heart-shaped balloons floated under the ceiling, dangling golden strings down (romantic). Inside, I could see tables and women in the semi-darkness as the music bass blasted.

I walked closer to look in, past the doormen, and inside looked fine. Still... I
continued hanging outside.

My companion was of the opinion that hanging around outside wasn't the thing. She was fine with staying or leaving.

I was thinking that since we were already there, and she had made her way to accompany me, I couldn't possibly just walk away (even though I most likely would have walked away if I came alone).

So, finally, I nodded that we go in, and she had to confirm that that was what I wanted.

Counter staff asked what colors we wanted for our finger lights and we asked for 2 blues. :)

Paid $10 per person, which was very cheap. As for drinks, I wasn't intending to have any. The nightclub can't make any more money off of me since I don't drink.

No I/C checks which I like.

Firefly wasn't as dark as Attica. It was a semi-darkness that you could see faces quite clearly. (And there were quite a few handsome-pretty girls there).

I thought it was going to be dimmed further later, but the place remained as it was.

It looked better than Attica, with better lighting and layout. Too bad the tables have to be reserved and the seats too far back to see the dance floor.

Dance floor is a small, concrete area. If anyone knows of a more classy nightclub with some nice carpeting and sofas, please let me know.

More of the pink heart-shaped balloons were strapped to railings around the dance floor and tables on the level above.

My companion got a glass of water for me, while she ordered a Heineken. The Heineken was served fast but my water and her change (after payment) took a while in coming. Minus points for bartender and waiter.

The price of my water was unknown and my companion assumed it was free. When the receipt came with the change, I didn't check the price. And later, my companion didn't save the receipt...

I had wanted to pay her for it. How much could a glass of water be?

Since it was still early in terms of clubbing time, I began to stroll around the
tables on the level above the dance floor, just to feel the layout of the floor area.

In the semi-darkness, some women sitting at the tables glanced up at me as I passed.

Halfway, I stopped because, suddenly I realized I seemed to be... too prowling or showing myself off...

So, reversing direction, I didn't complete the loop back to the start point, and re-joined my companion waiting behind me.

We stood at a small, round table reserved for "Cary" but this person didn't turn up even past 10.30 pm, at which time, according to my companion who referred to the e-mail via her handphone, the seat would be forfeit. I hadn't read the e-mail that closely to know this. So, I commented that it was some very sharp reading on her part. :)

That being the case, I took hold of the paper triangle, pulled it off without knowing it was stuck to the tabletop with sticky tape, put it aside and turned the name down.

The table was on the level above the dance floor, providing an excellent view of the dance area and around. I really liked it and wondered what was the table number (so maybe next time I might reserve the same one).

Unfortunately, our chairs were missing. Looking behind, other tables had more chairs than they should have.

Sharing the table with us, was ... whatdoyaknow... pink pudding. She had a girl beside her, though I didn't see who the friend was. Pink pudding placed her drink on our table but I can't recall if her friend's drink was also on it.

Nobody was dancing, everyone was just standing around giving a big empty space to the dance floor. Bummer.

But in hindsight, given the bad music without a rhythm to dance to, it was no surprise.

(Attica on the other hand, had played the same songs throughout the night, over and over again, with people not minding as they packed in and danced on that tiny dance floor).

A strange Ang Mo in a black off-shoulder dress took to the dance floor with a green light on the middle finger of his/her right hand... (isn't that a man?).

Green = predator. *grimace* With looks like that... and legs standing stiffly
apart (in a dress) like tree trunks... I doubt she/he could "predate" anyone.

A man joined in dancing with her for short while, then later a fat man did the same and she put her arms around his shoulders in a hug. Not sure if they are friends of hers or strangers.

The rest of the floor was expectedly of 2 types of women: those in pants and those not.

There were a few men, since men are allowed as guests of women, though it costs more at $15 per entry.

I noticed three short gay men that I realized were gay when one of them kissed the other near the dance floor. My thought was: why are they so short? They are men, are they not?

The women in pants seemed to wear the same as each other, with collared shirts. The type tends to wear plain-colored collared shirts, though in the semi-darkness, the colors couldn't be seen.

Those not in pants...I didn't notice.

As mentioned in a previous post, I seem to be interested in pretty-handsome (or handsome-pretty) women/girls. To me, their masculine roles are too obviously fake and they are more vulnerable than other women in this way.

Unknowingly, they wear their insecurities and vulnerabilities on the outside.

A weakness that attracts and fascinates me (and sometimes puts me off as well).

[Considering this earlier today 8 Feb, it occured to me: Doesn't that make me a true-er predator than the so-called predators? :) Watching and desiring those who think they hunt. ]

In bed, they would be under me. At the moment, just the thought of kissing and pleasuring a pretty one in bed is an enjoyable feeling.

For a moment, as I looked among the faces of those women in pants, I thought one of them might be Joy, the waitress from the Thai restaurant (so similar are all their faces).

The body type of those in pants was short, small-sized, thin/slim, with a few looking under-nourished and not well-proportioned.

Those in pants with faces that I noticed were pretty and feminine (rather than handsome), I wanted to get to know to bed (regardless of the person beside them whom I didn't even see).

There were quite a number of those around, as I looked around in the semi-darkness, and as it drew closer to midnight with more of them entering.

While my companion spoke in my ear and I nodded while listening (and pushing away the balloons on my left blocking my view), I noticed a woman glancing up at me as she stood on the level just below.

In a V-necked T, she was talking and smiling with friends, beer jugs on their table. One of those masculine-styled women.

Glancing back at her, our eyes made contact for a split instant before I glanced away. She looked dry from too much beer or smoking.

Not sure if she was specifically looking at me or just a coincidence.

Not sure if that was their table since they seemed to stand a little detached from it.

From time to time, I glanced down at her but no more eye contacts were made. She didn't glance up as much or anymore. Much later, the group drifted away.

Some time later, I noticed a girl-guy in a black-collared shirt standing directly across the club, at the back, leaning against the wall beside the DJ's place, seemingly looking straight at me.

At that distance, in the semi-darkness, she looked a lot like Joy. Wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

Meanwhile, the whole time, I was pushing away the pink heart-shaped balloons floating above the left side of our table. Tied to the bottom railing, they kept getting in the way of my dance floor viewing.

Even in the darkness/semi-darkness, all the ladies looked tired and worn out.

Probably due to working, smoking, alcohol, lack of exercise and lack of beauty sleep. All looking around the same age, 20s~30s.

At 11.50 pm, the place started getting very crowded, filling up the dance floor. Around that time, a waitress came to our table asking if we were "Cary".

Earlier, I had wondered to my companion if "Cary" was a male or female. While my companion thought that Cary is a female name, I felt the person might be female or male. There is a male actor that I liked in The Princess Bride movie with that name (Cary Elwes).

Since we didn't reply, the waitress turned the paper reservation triangle back up with the name facing in front, and plucked the remnants of sticky tape off the tabletop.

Then a group of women started taking over.

Whether there was a Cary among them, I've no idea. But they took over without so much as a glance back or around at us, which made me just stand back looking at them (without knowing where else to go or park).

Wasn't the table already forfeit after 10.30pm? Why were they still able to claim it? Now thinking about it, shouldn't we have "reminded" the waitress about it instead of just standing back?

The waitress spoke to them and I assumed it was probably to tell them that technically the table was no longer theirs but just this one time...

I glanced at my companion and saw her hanging aside, Heineken in hand, staring ahead at what seemed to be nothing in particular.

One of those who took over the table glanced back at me, but I have no recollection of what she looked like. A taller, unattractive one like a male Beng started laying out the Heineken coasters on their table.

With the table gone with the view, the place filling up fast, and the time ticking closer and closer to midnight, I decided to leave.

Yeah, leaving just when the fun just started. What a bummer (the same feeling I felt when having to leave Attica).

If only I had my own transport, I could stay past midnight.

My companion was Ok to leave, so we went. On our way out, a much longer queue was already in place, all the way up the stairs, comprising of female couples and one or two men/guys.

As we walked to the bus-stop, I wondered to my companion how we could stay if we didn't leave the place. Table gone. Dance floor crowded with more people coming in.

She said we could find a spot or corner on the dance floor area and stand around there.

I said it wasn't possible with the place getting so packed, but it was then that I realized that probably, she had wanted to stay. If she had wanted to stay, I might have...

But I was concerned that my bro would be worried about me since I told him I'd be back before midnight (besides worrying about the taxi fare surcharge). And I was getting slightly hungry and concerned about getting hungrier later.

Looking at the party, it didn't seem worth staying/sacrificing for.

Overall, I quite enjoyed Firefly, thanks to the company.

But since nothing happened while I was there, it was boring.

Too bad I had to leave before I turned into a pumpkin.

The crowd could do more than just stand around. I don't know what they did after I left. Maybe there was some sexiness or nottiness on the dance floor.

But while there, with my bright blue finger light hanging on the zipper of my pouch that I held in my hand, nothing happened.

As mentioned earlier above, very few people actually turned on their finger lights. My companion attributed it to shyness, though I wonder how that could be when they are gay women.

Yet they can't all be taken, right?

According to my companion, people are friendlier in the bars/clubs of other countries, such that "Hi, can I buy you a drink" is possible.

Where then, is my "Hi, can I buy you a drink" in the 2 clubs (Attica & Firefly) and 1 bar (the ex-Toca me) that I've visited so far?

She said it can never happen in gay women bars/clubs in Singapore.

What a pity. It means I'll never get picked up. *smiling at the silly thought*

It means I've to come up with a story where picking up and then bed occurs. And more that never happens at these gay women events in SG. Such as... being enjoyed by a few women in a secret room of a club. Such a room that I actually saw at Firefly, just across from the bar counter.

An empty room where I saw one woman standing, looking miserable... and if I recall correctly, smoking.

What a pity. A room just for smoke.

Upon catching the bus and walking home (after the bus interchange closed), and then reaching home, I showed bro the finger light.

I wondered where the club got such cute lights, and he said, "Daiso sells".

Is it? Then the club bought them at $2 each? Isn't that rather expensive to give out to everyone? Or did they get a bulk deal?

Incidentally, when in a club/bar, I always look at the ceiling and floor, and notice it doesn't take much to open one. No decoration needed. Not really needing much paint.

Small dance floor, minimal furniture. Pack everybody in on a Saturday night, reap in the bucks. (Is a one-time packing in a week enough for a lot of profit?).

I wonder how much money they are making and also want to open my own club.

Firefly charges $10/person for entry. Is that enough to operate such a joint? Or more likely, the profit comes from the alcohol?

I wonder if I should visit Firefly again, since they have events every Sat night (if I got that right). This time, I'll go alone.

Or should I check out PLAY that my acquaintance said is better with a younger crowd that's more daring? :)

I start imagining myself in the black gothic-punk style top with jeans, sitting one leg crossed over the other, in a couch, a drink in hand. A glittering blue earring on my left/right ear, and a ring hanging from a long silver-black chain necklace.

That ought to interest the younger, daring girls without scaring them away with too much gothic/punk.

That gothic/punk top, when I first tried it on (some year back) in the shop with my jeans, the salesgirl had immediately exclaimed that I looked cool. Although I was skeptical about her comment, I bought it for a lot of money (yes, I don't remember how much).

Mm.. Not sure if the same cool effect is still there...I don't think so, but it's worth a fantasy.

A young girl giving me her number would be nice. PLAY I noticed before (while standing out there one night), has a queue of very young girls. So young that I wondered if they are merely 12 or 13, though that's impossible since it would be against regulation (unless the club is breaking it).

To be honest, at Firefly, it was a little awkward holding on to a bright blue light that signaled I'm single and available. It's like... yeah, like a Firefly. :) (what a brilliant idea this club came up with).

But in practice... it felt odd walking around with a signal like that. At first, while getting our drinks at the bar, I switched it on and off, following the music.

I didn't want to switch it off completely because I was there to attract interest. If it were switched off, it would defeat the purpose.

Then I attached the light to the zipper of my pouch and quite forgot about it.

So... in a way, my acquaintance might be right about the ladies being "shy" to turn on their lights. Though it's also quite possible that almost all are taken since they came with girlfriends. Taken = no finger light (bummer).

When I mentioned to bro about "Hi, can I buy you a drink" and why gay women in Singapore were too shy to do the same, he said, "Not shy, it's stingy.".

I laughed and had to agree since my first thought when I heard my companion mention it, was "This person so rich, meh? Buy a stranger a drink.".

It's because I can't see myself buying someone a drink, no matter how attractive the other person looks. So, yeah, I laughed because my bro is so right.

Pretty sure that's what gay women of SG think as well, though shyness/coyness also has a part.


-------------

8 Feb: Thinking of the posh line of clubs from the same "family" that just opened last year. I didn't know they existed until they came up in a Google search last night.

So, there are clubs with plush carpets and furnishings after all.

MINK has some pretty women partying there (but what sort?)... https://www.facebook.com/clubmink

Unfortunately, a review said MINK is more of a lounge than a club, with plenty of sofas but not enough dance floor. That's rather a bummer since I want to see dancing (not Waltz).

As for Royal Room, designed for "Singapore’s elite clientele", access via invitation and referrals only => looks boring: http://sg.lifestyleasia.com/en/features/wine-and-dine/new-club-royal-room-at-pan-pacific-singapore-9062/


Why does it look so boring? (It won't be boring if naked women go from section to section, dancing for the customers to watch... and if preferred... do more on the seats).

Interesting they used the name Pangaea. So these club owners are educated (surprised).

Eons ago, the continents were one, called Pangaea, until it broke apart, separating into the present continents.

Not interested in Avalon, since from their website, the place looks like a garage.

No comments: