Sunday 19 February 2012

Going Organic

Update 11 Nov Sun 2012: This is a very old post. Since then, I have found an online site to get organic stuff. However... I have found the site to be excellent, but not perfect.

------------

(First posted on Fridae)

Going Organic
2012-02-17 01:09

Searching for organic body washes (shower gels) that are free from parabens, alcohol, SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) and other drying/damaging chemicals.

Need something hydrating and moisturizing without needing to use body lotion after bathing.

No point buying a moisturizing body wash and then have to use body lotion after it. If the hydrating/moisturizing body wash/shower gel is that good, it shouldn't be necessary to have to use body lotion.

So, I don't know why women compliment a body wash for being moisturizing and then follow up with body lotion/cream. Double moisturizing? Or the body wash simply wasn't good enough?

Personally, I don't like using body lotion or even hand creams... Even though sometimes I buy, but... then use only a few times before leaving aside. I just find it pointless to apply creams because the body has its own natural layer of moisture and oils.

And that natural cover is easily eroded by the very chemicals that sellers claim to be moisturizing.

I end up throwing away a lot of creams, lipsticks, lip balms, facial toners and moisturizers because they don't work.

Thinking of buying many organic body washes that I browsed online. Very expensive... Can't afford to buy a US$20 body wash for only 8oz (237ml).

237 ml is so little. Really. By the time it gets airmailed into Singapore, the price would be SGD40 at the minimum. Too crazy even for my taste.

Yet it's hard to let go. Red Flower Icelandic Moonflower body wash.

Red Flower is the brand name. Never heard of it but it's got plenty of positive reviews, except for 1 that said the scent was ...too strong/heavy.

So, then I thought of switching to their Japanese Peony body wash, same price, same amount, but my heart has been set on Icelandic because of its wonderful name.

Just recently, I dropped by Crabtree at Vivocity to check out their Pomegranate body wash that I saw online. Looked a rather big bottle but according to online, it's only 250ml.

The Crabtree saleswoman said the individual bottles have sold out, but they have a last set at a discounted price of $55 for the wash and lotion (original price $60).

Dividing $55 by 2... it's still an incredible amount to pay for just body wash/shower gel.

Sniffing the Rosewater shower gel was heavenly, but it's only a very narrow bottle that costs a lot.

Imagine how much smaller the Icelandic shower gel at 237ml would be, and costs even more.

What do these people think they are selling? Gold?


When you browse the shelves of Watsons and Guardian, it's ironic that shower gels that call themselves "moisturizing" actually contain parabens (methylparaben etc...) and alcohol that dry out the skin, instead of moisturizing.

Even Cetaphil, that's said to be for very sensitive skins, contains parabens.

[For more information on parabens, SLS, etc., -- http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/04/17/better-skin-without-paraben-sls/]

These days, I've realized that organic is the way to go. As best as possible and if not too expensive, I choose organic fresh vegetables and fruits.

In the past, organic used to equate to very expensive. But these days, prices have gone down a lot and some items are pretty reasonably priced. Fresh and nice-looking as well.

Example:  4 organic Juliet apples from France cost $5.95 at Giant. That's pretty reasonable for organic apples that look good, smell sweet and taste great. And free from pesticides.

A packet of Chye Sim costs about $2.55 at NTUC. That's also reasonable. Compared to non-organic Chye Sim at about $1+, it costs just a little more for pesticide-free and safe dining. It just puts your heart at ease to know it's organic. Whether it's been genetically altered is another matter.

Pesticides and hormones pumped into our food source, can be blamed for plenty of problems in a human body. I would say, even cause sexual orientation problems.

Notice that it is only in recent years that there are more gays and transgender people. I don't think it is about coming out of the closet, or genes.

Hormones and vitamins pumped into eggs, milk, chicken meat...

While I can't say that our water supply is involved, it would not be surprising that these synthetic chemicals have also found their way in there.


Is there organic bread selling in Singapore?

So far, all the flavors of Gardenia, Sunshine, Bonjour and other brands of bread, have a very artificial and yeasty taste. Also, the reason why they can last an extra 1 or 2 days after expiry date, is because of the preservatives.

Probably, it's the preservatives that make the bread taste odd, although Gardenia white bread tastes a little better than the others.


For my skin... all along, I never cared what type or brand I used for shampoo and shower gels. I would buy whatever looks interesting and smells good. I never read the ingredients.

So, I've used plenty of different types and flavors of gels and shampoos over the years.

Of late, I think this has caught up with my skin that has become very dry. Dry to the extent of feeling tight with a little itch sometimes along my thighs when stretched.

Though it probably has something to do with my swimming, past and present, I think it's more to do with the chemicals in the shampoos and shower gels over the years.

It's only recently that organic bath and body products, and food, have turned up on our shelves. And it would seem the more educated people who know about the benefits are appreciating them.

Certainly, more educated also likely means more spending power.

People are more careful these days of what they use and what they eat. Some are overly cautious, without considering that sometimes... it doesn't matter what you eat or do, it's just ... bad genes.

Or it doesn't matter what you eat or do, because... other things can go wrong that wasn't planned or foreseen.

As the proverb says: Man proposes, God disposes. (Though I wouldn't count too much on the existence of such a being.).

As the devil also said on a T-shirt I once saw a man wearing up the bus: God is busy. May I help you?

I like that T-shirt. I believe it's truer than God. *small smile*

Some time back, after seeing that shirt, I considered buying it online, but didn't, again because of cost and shipping.

Just 2 days ago, I spent some bucks buying 3 organic body washes from US websites from a middle person.

All supposed to be organic, sans drying/harsh/detergent chemicals. So, I'm waiting to try them when they arrive.

Meanwhile, I'm eyeing at the brand Pharmacopia (Lavender flavor) for US$15.40 that I saw on Skin Botanica, but don't know how to buy this into Singapore (affordably) together with a few other items.

I could buy through the middle person again... but will need to ask how much.

If I do that, I was thinking of asking how much for a Speedo swimsuit as well.

The Speedo US website accepts cards issued outside of the US, but they don't ship out. So odd and what a bummer.

I need a swimsuit (again).

Last year, I made the mistake of ordering a Speedo swimsuit from an independent swimming products US website (instead of Amazon or from the middle person, that I felt were too expensive).

Well, this website charged even more in the end. Not sure how the heck airmail got so much or how they calculated it.

I ended up paying SGD 140+ for a swimsuit. And it took longer to get here than if I had ordered from Amazon.

Amazon charges for handling and shipping, but they are fast. Just that airmail is a real killer.

Recently, I tested total cost for just 5 paperback books at Amazon and airmail quoted was US$62. My goodness.

US$62. Just for 5 paperbacks (not even hard cover). I went through the middle person to get them for me and waiting for arrival. The waiting is the disadvantage, but no choice, to save on airmail.

Skin Botanica does ship to Singapore, but the airmail is also killer (just 3 bottles of body wash cost US$39 airmail). http://skinbotanica.com/

If you live in the US, then it's free shipping for orders over US$49 *arggghhh* It's not fair... (common for many US websites to offer free shipping for just low amount purchases).

I considered using Comgateway, but even up till Dec 2011, people were still complaining how bad it was.

Using other US forwarders... will also be costly.

I might have to give up Pharmacopia (unless I go through the middle person or buy from Skin Botanica), though the Lavender has received good reviews.

Ahh...

Then... there's this interesting brand called 100% Pure (or 100 percent pure) with really delicious and fabulous-sounding flavors.

Surprisingly, Google showed up a local business here that actually sells 100% Pure products, from body washes to cosmetics with plant pigments. Their office is at Kallang Pudding (wherever that is).

Found their Facebook first before seeing they have a website (with a URL that doesn't bear the brand name, no wonder didn't come up in Google search).


The brand is supposedly 100% pure in that the products contain only natural ingredients and preservatives. No chemicals whatsoever.

One local blogger brought her boyfriend to their office, and actually ate a little of one of their body scrubs after the owner (?) suggested that she try it. The owner, Janet, says it tastes like jam.

I was thinking... that that being the case, it means the product is as good as homemade (though homemade would be superior since fresher), than spending money buying it.

So, why should I spend $27 on a body wash when I can make it myself? Janet informed that for new customers, there's a 22% discount.

Well... that's if I know how to make a body wash myself.

I know scrubs can be homemade/DIY. It's very simple and cheap. I once put out ads offering natural ingredients facial and body "spa" massage for ladies.

Plenty of recipes for DIY online. All using fruits, natural oils etc... I had some interested replies through my ads.

I'm also interested in 100% Pure's line of body creams, but not sure how oily (or not oily) it's going to be.

Usually for natural products, there will be some settling of natural oils and separation of ingredients etc...

So, I'm not sure how 100% Pure's stuff is going to be (unless I buy a body wash and body cream to try).

A reviewer said the body cream absorbs easily into the skin and the scent doesn't linger.

For the body wash... reviews have said the lathering is weak, scent doesn't linger on the skin, a little watery, but... great for their skin.

Mm... I prefer my shower gels creamy with some light scent on my skin after bathing.

Hard to decide, hard to buy when it's all money money money...

Then there's Pure Fiji, that reviews have been good about. Never heard of the brand either, but they have some very tasty bath wash flavors. :)

Skin Botanica sells some, but here is the wider range on the Aussie site (but they don't ship out):


They also have sites in US, UK, Fiji (assuming main site), New Zealand and Korea (surprisingly).

Clicking on "by Range" in the menu tab, comparisons can be made.

*looking at the Korean site* Hmm... I've a contact person for Korea, so at least I can order. Immediately thinking of importing into SG to sell.... :)

For shower gels, the Korea site has Passion Flower and Frangipani (total 7 choices to pick) but the Aussie has Orange Blossom (total 6 choices to pick).

Other difference is the Aussie version has Hydrating Body mist that the Korean doesn't have.

The Reniu line and Outdoor Protection (insect repellents) are not in the Korean version.

(The Aussie site is very much slower than the Korean)

Dilo Rescue series, body spray sold out at Korean site and also missing Body Gel travel size.

Facial Solution series... the Aussie site has only Toner and Cleanser. Korean site has Hydrating Multi-Active Serum, Multi-Active Night Creme (sold out) and Multi-Active Day Creme (sold out).

I just did the calculation. ~.~ It would cost SGD 50 for 1 bottle of shower gel (Pineapple flavor. Mango sold out) from the Korean site, without shipping.

Buying from Skin Botanica is cheaper...

Definitely can't import this brand for sale unless wanna do wholesale...


Update:

I found another reviewer who blogged about buying discounted 100% Pure bathing washes at OG Orchard. But her blog was in 2010.

Tonight (17 Feb), I checked it out, and wasn't surprised to see OG no longer carries the stock.

When she mentioned she bought at a discount, I guessed they were probably clearing out stock. Also, the bottle for the organic mint Eucalyptus foaming shower gel she photographed for her blog is no longer in use. The brand has changed its bottles.

While I could order from Janet and save a lot with the new customer 22% discount...

I just realized that in her e-mail when she replied to me, she typed my name starting with a small alphabet, while she signed off her own name with a capital first letter.

A slip of respect for the customer? *thinks* No wait... she typed the reply on her phone. Meaning, capitals and small letters are difficult to control.

Her sign off could also be an automatic outgoing signature.

Yet fact is, she got her name right with the capital first letter in the right place. Yet didn't bother to amend/notice the small starting letter of my name.

Do I want to give my money to someone who doesn't respect me as a customer?

Well... it's kinda hard to decide when I'm really curious about the body washes and she's the only one who seems to stock them in Singapore.

Strange but true that it seems there is no one else selling the 100% Pure brand in Singapore. How can that be?

If anyone of you sees it selling anywhere in SG, send message.


Update 2: (19 Feb Sun)

I still can't decide whether to get the 100% Pure shower gel and facial cleanser from Janet.

Mainly because I've bought many products that have disappointed so far. From the reviews for 100% Pure, it doesn't sound too great, although it does sound like might work.

Bottomline, it's all about money.


Many things I need to buy and do with money:

1) Go to Japan. I am missing it so very much, it's driving me a little depressed.

2) Go to Taiwan. I need to buy more Wacoal bra and panties that fit me so well. Only the new mall Jing Zhan sells (haven't seen it elsewhere in Taiwan) and the sales lady was so nice when I was there last year.

She told me this Wacoal brand and the designs are exclusive to Taiwan. It got me thinking that that's why I've never seen them in Singapore. A pity. The designs are unique, youngish and most importantly, very fitting. 

From Taiwan, go to Japan.


3) Since no money to go, I would settle for a Singapore hotel room bath tub relaxing soak for 1 night.

I won't "order" any more women from Fridae to give me a massage because I've been too disappointed with freelancers and previous experiences.

4) Full sensuous body masssage from (trying out) Changi Village Hotel (recommended by a woman on Fridae).

Looking it up now, Google says the spa is called "The Retreat" and also available at the Mariott. Great. I can go to the Mariott then, nearer.

Been reluctant to have to search how to get to Changi Village Hotel.

Do you have dirty, sexy, sensuous massage? ^____^

Hmm...seems the massage "treatments" are different for the Mariott and Changi Village, even though both under The Retreat.

*frowns with pout* Prefer Changi Village. Cheaper prices and with the more usual relaxing treatments (what the heck is Thalasso Swedish massage at the Mariott?).

Besides, the woman who recommended it on Fridae said she had tried a very nice sensuous massage at Changi Village. Not sure if her "sensuous" matches with what I'm expecting.


5) 100% Pure shower gel (Pomegranate) and facial cleanser (Lavender).

6) If I order from Janet, I will remove the same items that I put into Skin Botanica's online cart. Still, the other items in the cart will be a costly purchase from Skin Botanica after shipping.

7) Speedo swimsuit. US$49.99. Supposed to be "new" in Speedo website, but why so cheap? Cheaper than their usual. The Magnetic Space Remix Y-Back - Speedo Endurance+ is pretty cool.

I always only buy Speedo's Endurance series, though I wonder how long this one will last because of the shoulder straps. Though they have reinforced the straps, I doubt thin straps like that can last long.

Still, it is a beautiful and cool design in the water. And the price is pretty good.

But where to buy online that will ship to Singapore and how much airmail... headache every time.

I need a US person to ship stuff for me... Anyone (reliable) living in the US, welcome to apply (preferably Oregon/Delaware). I pay a commission guaranteed. 


No comments: