Wednesday 4 July 2012

Hakuouki Reimeiroku 薄桜鬼 Ep 1 (Season 3)

http://www.anime44.com/hakuouki-reimeiroku-episode-1

(Update: faster here: http://www.animecrazy.net/hakuouki-reimeiroku-episode-1/)
(Update: It seems the first anime link does not include Saito speaking at the end of Ep 1 of Reimeiroku).

Currently, it is un-subbed (no English subs yet). But I still watched to its end because... I needed to see.

Ahhh... I finally found the name to the face of the handsome man I saw on an artbook cover in 2009 at a Japanese bookstore in Shibuya (I think it was Shibuya).



Hijikata. The man who caught my eye on the top floor of that bookstore (can't recall the name). Samurai in western uniform, long-hair, sad, cool look, standing with his sword drawn among the fall of Sakura petals. Didn't know who he was, didn't know the anime (I guessed must be anime or manga).  Couldn't fully read the Japanese writing on the cover that looked like Chinese. Read the first word as "Bo" which I felt was incorrect, and the last word was "Gui" (ghost). Didn't know what was the middle word in cursive (even if it were not, I still wouldn't know).

(I did guess that it probably has something to do with the Shinsengumi, since the fashion style looked familiar to that time frame. I had watched Peacemaker Kurogane previously. Present time looking up in Wiki shows it's not anime, but a game. From the game, it was adapted into anime and manga.).

Certainly, the Japanese pronunciation would be different. I didn't know what it was, and felt one day, I would know which anime the artbook came from and who was on the front cover.  Maybe I could look it up when I returned to SG, although it is difficult without the Japanese name and just front cover. (In hindsight might be possible using just the 2 Chinese words).

At that time, didn't have much money left for shopping, except enough for maybe just 1 or 2 more items before I have to stop. That was the extent of the allowance I set aside for shopping, which wasn't much and I hadn't bought much. 

This book I had to buy. There were 2 books of different covers I think and I chose the one that I felt was more beautiful.  (Now looking at what I bought, seems I didn't choose the cover that first caught my eye. And it does not seem that it is Hijikata as I just watched in the anime.).

It is still unopened because I love it as it is. Strangely, I don't feel like opening it. To keep it as it is, is to preserve it in its original form, untouched, forever perfect.

I couldn't buy both books with different covers, unless I abandoned the Taki and Tsubasa meant for the past love. In the end, I sacrificed my side in order to bring back the Taki and Tsubasa for someone whom I needn't have sacrificed for. 

2850 yen. Approximately based on today's rate, around SGD 45. I think the rate has been around there since 2009. 1 yen = 15+ SGD.  So, it's still pretty expensive. But if sold at SG, probably above $70. Yet, the airfare has also to be considered in the cost. So, not really saving.

This first pic was taken on the $99 foam mattress on top of my bed that's going to be dismantled tomorrow to make way for the new Franc Franc bed coming tomorrow. I took pics of the whole mess of my bed as well.

The 2nd and 4th pics taken at the kitchen window. The 3rd pic and last pics on the washing machine top that's near the kitchen window. All for the light.

I have not seen this selling in Kinokuniya in SG.



In SG, such artbooks sold by Kinokuniya are expensive. While browsing the bookstore, it occurred that I could get cheaper here at the source (Japan). So, the purpose was set as I started looking around for anime artbooks to see what I might find, perhaps not available in SG.

Found a Taki and Tsubasa calendar book for my past love, considered whether to buy it with the tight budget I had, whether worth sacrificing for the person, decided to sacrifice the amount of money for it, then went upstairs. 

Was in the back of the topmost floor, almost disappointed at not being able to find any artbook, when that man on that front cover stopped me. Didn't know which anime it was, but had to buy it. 

Why is it, I always take a while to find out the identity of the men I love? City Hunter and now him. Starts with just a picture, an illustration, don't know who he is or where he comes from. But I will, in time. 

Some time back, was at Central 2nd floor where an anime theme shop recently opened. From there, I bought a Kuroshitsuji T-shirt. And saw the familiar gang that the handsome man I saw in Japan belongs to. It seems the handsome man is among them, though I couldn't be sure since the artbook illustration was more beautiful.  But the overall artwork seems to be from that anime (that I didn't know about). 

I asked the young woman staff who was attending to me, what anime it was. She said the name, even spelt it out to me when I asked. And yet I couldn't remember after that. So... it passed. 

Then recently, my past love has been sending unhelpful e-mails to me, and a few days back sent this one about a prequel to an anime called Hakuouki Reimeiroku. And something about a movie going to be done. I didn't care for it. But this morning, feeling in the mood, had a closer look at her e-mail.

Somehow wondering if it could be that anime with that man, I pasted the name into Google, and viola.

I read some of what it was about in Wikipedia and thought the story was unique and interesting. Somehow, the Japs always come up with such cool ideas I could never think up [such as the Rasetsu, whatever that means, and the wanting of some royal being wanting to capture a girl instead of another who has the protection of a bodyguard (sexy idea)].  And I saw a few Seiyuus (voice-actors) I know in the cast (that's how I saw Shinichiro Miki as Hijikata and definitely had to see.).

At the end of this first episode, it would seem the man I am looking for (who seems to match the front cover of the artbook I bought)... is not Hijikata... but someone else. This man: Who is he? 


Currently, there is only Ep 1 of this prequel, said to be Season 3. So, I will need to look at Season 1 from the start to know who he is.

While watching Hijikata, I thought Lee Min Ho's face is like Hijikata's, like anime. That's why the Japs like him.

But also, while watching, I felt I still like the Hijikata and Souji in Peacemaker Kurogane anime.The Hijikata there is more manly and sexy, with a fearsomely sexy voice unlike this one voiced by Miki Shinichiro and looks feminine type.

The Souji in Peacemaker is sexier with his fragile-looking willowy figure and girlish voice that incites the possibility of yaoi with Hijikata (more fun). This Souji in Hakuoki makes no impact at all. Just a young punk like the rest with a pale no-impact voice.

Also, of course, in Peacemaker Kurogane, there's the pig Sanzo, that I almost expected to see in this Hakuoki.

Update: Just realized. Hakuouki is 薄桜鬼. The prequel is called Hakuoki Reimeiroku. What's Reimeiroku?

Looked up Season 1. Part 1 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5E_BZLwPFo
Follow up with this full version since the uploader for the above link didn't upload further. http://www.animeshippuuden.com/hakuouki-episode-1/

Strange: In Wiki, it says the anime was first released in 2010. But the bookstore was already selling the artbook when I was in Japan in 2009. So the artbook I have... is based on... ? The game? (disappointed).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haku%C5%8Dki 

Ep 2 (part 2):  Take out your sword leh. She wears pants but she falls like a girl.
http://www.animecrazy.net/hakuouki-shinsengumi-kitan-episode-2/123279

Ep 3: http://www.animeshippuuden.com/hakuouki-shinsengumi-kitan-episode-3/

Ep 5:  http://www.animeshippuuden.com/hakuouki-shinsengumi-kitan-episode-5/
Wahh... Okita is so cool. His stroke so beautifully executed in the rescue of Chizuru in the garden washing sake bottles when approached by the sly Itou.

Later, what Saito says, applies to SG. "A group grows and expands when people with various ideas gather together. But it will fall apart from the inside out if you force diversification.". There is now a rift between Singaporeans.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Well this is based on an otome game, in fact, it is the most popular and I think that the most sold otome game!
The first game (the first 2 seasons are based on it) was released in 2008 and follow Hijikata route bad end. AKSYS released the game in English on February.

There are 6 OVAs called Hakuouki Sekkaroku (each OVA focuses on one guy and tells the same story from their different POV)

Hakuouki Reimeiroku (unlike Hakuouki is a visual novel coz you're a guy) was released in 2010 for PS2 although we've got versions for PSP in 2011, in 2012 for DS and PS3.

The original artist of the game (she is called Kazuki Yone and also did the art for Hiiro no Kakera which got an anime in spring and the 2nd season will be in October) left the company a year ago (after the PSP port of Reimeiroku was released) so all the new art for DS and PS3 are made by an artist who imitates her style

The guy in your cover is Hijikata! (but with short hair and western clothes, which is his look during the last half of the game and the 2nd season)

The one who appears at the end of Reimeiroku episode 1 is Hajime Saito

zinepin said...

OHhh... Sankkyuu. :)

At least, I know it Is Hijikata (rather than Saito) on the cover. :) I look forward to seeing Hijikata in this look in Season 2.

Ah, so it is Saito at the end of Reimeiroku Ep 1. He looked a little different than in Season 1. I'm currently watching the early episodes of Season 1.

What is otome?

zinepin said...

P/S: I wanted to say Saito looked a little different because he looked a little younger than in Season 1.

Thinking about it, I started to realize, he looked younger because Reimeiroku is a prequel. So, he must have just walked in to join the Shinsengumi at the time.

Brilliant how the animators can make him look younger. Or perhaps, it is just a side view effect.

Anonymous said...

An otome is a game aimed for girls, where you are the female protagonist and depending on your choices you can become romantically involved with different guys. In Hakuouki those guys are Hijkata, Saito, Heisuke, Harada, Okita and Kazama.

In Reimeiroku instead of love (since the characters aren't homo) you just have to earn trust of the guys or Serizawa (the characters don't meet Kazama until Hakuouki). There's also a route where you can end up with a girl called Kosuzu (she should appear next episode or in episode 3)

Here is a comparison of the scenes from Reimeiroku anime and the CGs of the game: http://tokio-fujita.livejournal.com/28060.html

In that link you can find comparisons for the other 2 seasons with the original art from the game and translations of Reimeiroku (Hijikata, Saito and Okita route are completed and started Serizawa route). That girl also includes additional historical information to understand better the story^^

zinepin said...

I see. Romantically involved sounds nice. :) Otome. I wanna play it. Where can I have a go at the game? I guess I have to buy it and the player as well.

Hmm... the comparison is quite interesting. The anime has softer-looking character illustration than the game. Hijikata looks really awful in the game.

For the last part with Saito, the end of Ep 1 didn't show the full body and sword.

Who is Serizawa actually?

Thanks for the link. :)

Anonymous said...

There's ports of Hakuouki for every console (if you know Japanese...), it was originally for PS2 but there is the version for PSP, DS, PS3 and 3DS.
In English you can only find it for PSP (it is only sold in the US so you have to buy it online if don't live there). I bought my limited edition copy which comes with an artbook and the ost here: https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19444
The price in that website is in Canadian dollars!
There's the standard edition too.
If you want it in Japanese you can try pages like AmiAmi or playasia.

There's a lot of otome games in Japan (a shame that there's hardly any outside of Japan) and most of them have amazing seiyuus. Otomate is the company which made Hakuouki and they have made loads of otomes.
Recently there's been a number of anime based on otomes: Hakuouki, Hiiro no Kakera (same company and artist as Hakuoki), the movie Heart no Kuni no Alice, Uta no Prince-sama (was so popular that after the 1st season ended a 2nd season was confirmed) and La storia della Arcana Famiglia.

Serizawa was the Lead Commander of the Roshigumi (the name they had at first until the Aizu clan renamed them Shinsengumi). The Roshigumi had 2 factions: Kondou's faction and Serizawa's faction which was the most powerful, in fact Serizawa was the one who made all the decisions.
One thing I love about Hakuouki is that you learn a lot of history and most of the events happened in real life!
Let me warn you a thing about Hakuouki: prepare tissues when watching the 2nd season!!!

zinepin said...

Ohh.. so complex. Looks like you really love this game to even get the limited edition in Canadian dollars.

Yeah, I watched Uta no Prince-sama and liked it. :) Would like to see Season 2. Nice to know it's confirmed.

Ahh.. but I'm sure the real historical characters didn't look as good as in the anime. :)

Actually, I find Shinsengumi anime confusing. Don't quite know what's going on. Peacemaker Kurogane was Ok. But Hakuouki is quite complicated.

2nd Season need tissues... oh dear... I don't like weepy. That's why I like Uta no Prince-sama. Happy happy.

Anonymous said...

Yeah well I payed with my credit card so I didn't have an issue with the conversion (the website itself tells you the cost of the game in other currencies)
Also, I want the English version of Hakuoki to be more or less a success so we can get more visual novels and otome games in English

To imagine that a limited edition of Hakuouki could cost me less than 50$ (a standard edition of an otome in Japan cost you minimum 60$ without taking into account the shipping T_T)

It really is confusing! Since there's so many issues with politics, different clans and so on you get lost.

Uta no Prince-sama was funny, especially the Principal haha

zinepin said...

Mmm... looking at the cover of the PSP box, the guy's uniform is very nice. Love the flower detail along the lapels. Very sexy outfit. *Smiling at his chest and open buttons of the black shirt*

How does an 18 yr-old get a credit card? :) Do you mean debit card?

Ahh.. So you mean you bought the English version to encourage production of more English versions? It's kinda... noble and sacrificial of you. Hahaha...

Hmm.. so the English limited edition is cheaper than the Japanese standard edition? O.o

Mmm... I wish the Uta principal wasn't so... disturbing. Appearing all the time and singing...

Do you know when the 2nd season is out?

Anonymous said...

i've watched the first 2 seasons of Hakuouki in English version IT WAS AMAZING!! and want to watch the third does anyone know when the English version comes out??