Wednesday 15 August 2012

Rude, Bad Attitude Service Staff @ Vivocity Giant Supermarket Seafood Section


(Complaint sent to Giant customer service e-mail)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to bring your attention to the rude staff at the seafood section of Vivocity Giant.

This is not the first time it has happened, and previous customers have also been upset by the bad attitude and rude behavior of the fishmongers there. The staff there are very sullen, treat customers badly and work grudgingly.

At around noon today (15 Aug), I chose some tiger prawns and held out the bag to be weighed.

The guy facing me in front saw me, ignored me and continued doing something. So, I looked at another guy who was free standing around, and showed him my bag of prawns to be weighed. And he just looked away.

The first guy in front still continued ignoring me, even though I was holding out the prawns for a while already. So, I looked at the guy who was standing around again, and he saw me a second time, but again looked away. My brother who was with me even called to him and he still looked away, pretending not to see.

I waved my bag of prawns and said, "Where is your manager?". And none of the four or five staff even cared.

The guy in front of me still continued as if he hadn't heard.

A young lady staff who was standing at the Halal meat section saw me and came over.  It was obvious she didn't belong in the seafood section. Even though she didn't know how to use the weighing machine to dispense the price label, she still helped me.

After thanking her, I went to the Customer Service counter to ask for the manager. Mr. Francis came and I explained to him. He gave these excuses: "But you got it weighed, right?" and "Maybe they were busy".

Come now. How can a manager create such excuses for the staff?

Who weighed the item for me? Not the seafood section staff who should have done it.  And what about the man who stood around and saw me, but looked away twice even though he was called?

How long does it take to weigh an item? Not even needing to process anything. Just weighing it takes just a few seconds. Yet the staff completely ignore the customer standing there holding out the bag.

Additionally, on the occasions when they do weigh a bag, they never hand it to the customer, even though I am stretching to take it from them. They just drop it near to themselves.

Giant should not keep such rude and undeserving staff on its payroll. With such inherently bad attitude, such staff cannot be trained. It would be better to acquire new staff who can be trained, and have better attitude in interacting with customers.

After talking to Mr Francis, I put back the prawns at the seafood section. Why should customers pay for receiving unhappy and grudging service? 

(zine ed's note: According to bro, recently, there was a man who was so angry with their service that he exploded with anger at them. When I asked for the manager today, the customer service counter staff told me Mr George Ingris was no longer working there. Andy Yuen, the other manager was not around and would come in at lunch. So, there left Francis.). 
---------

Update: Received e-mail reply from Giant on Aug 21.  When I sent my e-mail complaint, their auto-reply said:  "We thank you for your feedback! It has been forwarded to our staff who will be in touch within 3 working days.".

Counting 16th, 17th, 18th (Sat), 19th (Sun), 20th (public holiday for Hari Raya), 21st reply, it is 3 working days.

2 attachments: 
1) Specimen gift voucher. "Great gift ideas for all occasions". 
2) Logo pic "Dairy Farm Cares. Do our part for the community we serve". 
At first, I thought it was a gift voucher as compensation/apology. But saw the big "Specimen" stamped across it.  

So, the reply was just words that's free to say. Whether anything was really done, I don't know. I doubt "counselled" has any effect.  Nevertheless,  it was well replied and I appreciate there being a reply.  The purpose of my complaint was to let them know what's going on, what their staff are doing.

Additional info: Giant is operated by Dairy Farm Singapore.

Dear Sxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.  We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us as well as the opportunity to address your concerns.

Upon receiving your notification, an investigation was conducted.  We have since counselled the team members and reminded them to be mindful of their conduct and interactions with customers and to always maintain professional and ethical standards of service.  We take a serious view of negative behaviour and will not hesitate to discipline any team member found in violation of operational and service standards.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and assure you of our commitment to service, as we strive to deliver a delightful and ambient service experience to you, always.

Do let us know if we can be of further assistance.  We can be reached at 1800 891 8100, available Mondays-Fridays  9am to 5.30pm or in reply to this email.

Warm Regards,

Angelia Tan
Customer Service Executive
Dairy Farm Singapore
(Co. Reg. No. 38562800E)
21, Tampines North Drive 2, #03-01
Singapore 528765  

-----

Update 4 April Fri 2014: Giant took swift action after my complaint. A few days later, I noticed those rude fishmongers were gone. Either fired or they quit.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Not you alone experienced this kind of situation. Also this morning Aug 21,2015 I passed bu the Paya Lebar Square Giants and was about to buy a milk fish but the guy mending the Fish section doesn't have any concern on customers. First i asked him if he can clean the fish for me, he just looked at me and continued on his work not even telling me to wait. Since i am in a hurry i catched his attention again and was overheard by a lady which in turn talked to him in chinese and was told that i need to wait. Oh my, cutting that big fish will take him some time and beside he can get into it after doing the cleaning with my fish but ignored me as if i need to wait for him to finish. I in turn leave the fish section without getting anything since i am frustrated the way this Giants personnel especially this Fish Section guy who does not know anything about Customer Relations. Maybe you Giants Management need to review your staff on this customer satisfaction issue. Staff in Fairprice are polite and helpful, why not try to be like them? or you guys have no choice to select your own staff which are ignorant on the policy on Customer Courtesy.

Anonymous said...

I received an almost identical reply from Giant with regards to my complaint. The service staff could not be bothered and ignored my requests, even to the extent of mocking me. I was quite shocked because I've never experienced anything like that in ntuc, cold storage etc. and I had been very polite to her initially ... when I asked to see the manager, she ignored me too. Maybe they do not give adequate training or service just isn't a priority. Glad I've an ntuc nearby so I won't be forced to go through such unpleasant experiences again. This was at tampines giant.

zinepin said...


Yeah. It is exactly as you said. Very weird. They ignore & will even mock customers. It has nothing to do with training. Giant hires gangster-type, uneducated people from Malaysia.

Best thing is to avoid or try your best, don't buy from Giant.

Basically, they are selling crap. There are better supermarkets around.

Fruits anyhow throw around until the oranges are all bashed up. Awful-looking meat. Electical appliances no real QC. Broken furniture on display. Lousy bread & pastries.

They are becoming more & more like a rubbish warehouse rather than a supermarket.

I buy from Cold Storage & NTUC finest as best as possible. NTUC has improved in the variety of imported things they sell. Quite surprising to see they have stuff that Cold Storage is selling.

zinepin said...


Actually, Cold Storage & Giant belong to the same company. I just encountered rude service at the cashier at Paragon Market Place (Cold Storage).

Mad Malay woman cashier didn't want to handle pork, so she flung my bags of sausages & ribs in the air into the plastic bag.

zinepin said...


Come to think... NTUC supermarket is a very stingy & mean company. I rarely buy from them & these days, I buy even less.

NTUC Finest, I also buy less. The variety, although a little more, is just not up to standard. The fresh meat section is bad. They employ China workers. The roasted ribs I bought from Clementi central was poorly made (compared to Cold Storage).

Overall, NTUC hires many China workers, which I don't like. Don't know what's the deal between NTUC & China workers.

There's a China man working at ARC NTUC & he always has a mean, unfriendly attitude & face. No smile. He packs things in a very grouchy way like he's being forced. It's such a chore for him to work as a cashier. Everytime I see him, I think "If it's so difficult & you are so ungrateful, why don't you go back to your China?".

Singapore cashier aunties are always friendly & happy being able to work & interact with customers. So different from China.

Anonymous said...

NTUC has the worst attitude towards elderly. Encountered a case when they scolded an elder "you don't know how to queue huh". When there is just one single queue multiple cashiers. The person went direct to the cashier 3 but she refused but insisted he queue when there is no one in the queue.

Really poor layout at Tampines NTUC (basement). Check it out how poorly design NTUC for payment.

I suspect NTUC employs a lot of Malaysians. They should be replaced by locals.